Love clicker training!!!!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Lisa

Love clicker training!!!!

Post by Lisa »

Just had to say that I love clicker training! I decided that I need to start teaching Charm some stuff, besides just basic house manners and whatever random stuff she picks up from the other dogs. I've already taught her to sit and to ring a bell and she picked up running to get in her kennel from the other dogs. She knows her name, and I'm working on her recall and leash training. So...tonight, I decided I was going to teach Charm to lie down on command, because when the dogs annoy me, I tend to call out "LIE DOWN" and everyone flattens themselves...except the puppy, who just keeps bouncing around (Madi can't hear me, but she follows the lead of the other dogs).

I took Charm out back, armed with treats and a clicker and just sat in a chair and waited. Charm knew we were doing something, so she sat in front of me...then pawed at me, then chased some flies, then came back and sat in front of me...then put one leg kinda forward and looked down - CLICK! Charm looked up at me in surprise and thought about it a minute, then tried the other leg and head down - CLICK! Huh, legs forward and head down must mean something. She got up, thought about it a minute, sat back down, thought some more, and slowly slid both legs forward just a bit - CLICK! She went and got her cookie, sat back down, and lowered herself a little farther - CLICK! Get the cookie, sit, and finally, she lay down - CLICK! It took maybe 6 reps of clicking forward movement of the front legs from a sit before she was laying down. Then, by about 10 reps, she was fairly consistantly laying down to get her click. No luring, no physical modeling, just waiting for her to do what comes naturally, and then rewarding for it! I'll probably name the behavior tomorrow night. It is just so cool to watch this little girl think! She's so smart, and wants to work.

This week is crazy with work, and I have to do some refresher stuff with Britty, as I let her TDI registration lapse, and she's going to take the test again in two weeks, but after that, I think it'll be time to really focus on teaching Charm stuff!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Love clicker training!!!!

Post by kat »

That is so cool Lisa! I love how you think of this stuff, and then relay it to us making it sound so easy that even I could do it!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

What's to say except COOL VEEEEEERY COOL !!

I wish that when I had started with Cassie that I had been fully cognizant of just how smart these Britts are. Over time we did make it all come together, but to be up to speed with these really sharp and receptive minds in the beginning makes one wonder just how far we could have gone. I'm just thrilled to be watching from the gallery as Charm, with Lisa guiding her, will make us all say "Holy Moley" that's incredible !!! :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I see a new career for you - raising Britt puppies. I bet there are many people who would pay you BIG bucks to get their little hellion to obey!! :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

The tiny bit of clicker training I did with Lola was like that. You could actually see her thinking "what do I need to do". It was so fun. I also think that once they understand clicker training it gets easier and easier as they figure out the game. Trouble is clicker training takes co-ordination from the trainer :roll: :lol:

Somewhere along the line I did something wrong with the clicker training and now when Lola sees the clicker she gets too excited and starts just performing all her tricks frantically. And if I try to wait until she's calm she starts to cry because its not working and gets pretty worked up - which I gather you're not supposed to let happen. Any ideas Lisa?

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

adele wrote:Somewhere along the line I did something wrong with the clicker training and now when Lola sees the clicker she gets too excited and starts just performing all her tricks frantically. And if I try to wait until she's calm she starts to cry because its not working and gets pretty worked up - which I gather you're not supposed to let happen. Any ideas Lisa?
Buster does that too sometimes. I've found that he usually does it when I don't reward fast enough or give him enough information. He's frantic to get his treat and just starts throwing stuff at me, trying to make me click. Usually, somewhere in that mess of tricks he's throwing at me, there's something I can click, so I do. That click is often enough to interrupt the offering of behaviors and get him to start thinking. If I really can't find anything I want to click in the mess of behaviors, then I just ask for something simple, like a sit or watch me, click that, and then do a few reps to get him thinking. You can also try using a slightly lower value reward. Like, if she's going over the top for treats, try using a tug as the reward or just less tasty treats. I've also introduced a No Reward Marker to Buster...if he's throwing tricks I don't want at me, I just say "Nope" to let him know that's not at all what I'm looking for.
Image Image RIP Madi

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Okay, thanks. Maybe I'll dig out the clicker again.

Keep us updated on Charm's schooling - maybe even a video of her learning something? You're going to cause yourself grief because we are all expecting her to become a star! :D

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

adele wrote:Keep us updated on Charm's schooling - maybe even a video of her learning something? You're going to cause yourself grief because we are all expecting her to become a star! :D
Well, this morning, when I asked the dogs to "Lie Down," Charm lay down with the rest!!! Right now, my star is sleeping in my lap with her rear leg in her mouth. So, ya know...puppy!
Image Image RIP Madi

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

So - I was flicking through an old Brittany book I have, that was published in 1974. There's a section on training puppies, and I was just curious, so I started reading through it. Gotta admit, I like my method way better, and it makes for a much happier pup!!!

The book's recommendation for teaching a dog to lie down: "There are various ways to teach a dog to lie down. One is to make it sit. Then grab it's front legs and upset it, while commanding "lie down." Restrain it in the lying down position while complimenting and soothing it. Another method is used with a leash. Have the puppy sit, Place the leash under the arch of one show. Now pull up on it while commanding "lie down." As you pull up, the puppy's head and neck are forced down. When the puppy is squatting on both hind and front legs, shove it over onto it's side."

Really?! I taught my puppy to lie down in around 10 minutes, without having to ever touch her...much less force or upset or shove. And once she was lying down, there was no need for me to restrain or soothe her...she was happy in that position! Like I said...I love clicker training!
Image Image RIP Madi

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

WHOA!! Thank god that times (and thinking) change!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor and I just attended a clicker training class. We started every class with 'in your face' recalls to get the dog focused. With treats in one hand and clicker in the other, I just say 'Victor, Come' and when he looks at me I click and when he's in front of me he gets his treat. Before he moves away I do the same thing in rapid succession for 8-10 times. So Victor is right in front of me and very focused. Then I go on to do something else. So far I've trained a left spin on a verbal command; standing on a step stool with all four feet; and am now trying to combine the two into a circus-kinda behavior.

Love clicker training! Wish I had trained Victor on it from the beginning.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Alifaire wrote: combine the two into a circus-kinda behavior.
I want to see the circus behavior(s)! LOL.....I love free shaping with the clicker- you can get them to do just about anything. I taught DAisy to get into a laundry basket that way - I called it her "boat"..... I was going to teach her to "row" the boat but, I never continued with the chain of behaviors...LOL....

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

It is so cool to see the light bulb go off in their cute little heads, Lisa. So glad you are enjoying this puppy stage.
Cindy wrote:I see a new career for you - raising Britt puppies. I bet there are many people who would pay you BIG bucks to get their little hellion to obey!! :lol:
yeah ... CharLee needs to visit Aunt Lisa. Pronto. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie