Poo eating ewww

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

ldelaney
Puppy

Poo eating ewww

Post by ldelaney »

My French Brittany female foster dog came with a really nasty habit. :cry: I have 2 resident male brittanys and she eats their poop! We've tried Nasty habit from our local pet store and MSG sprinkled on their food and she still eats it. She is on seizure medication ( phenobarbitol and KBR) and also thyroid pills. Her former foster mom said she is always hungry so that is why she eats poo. We feed Taste of the Wild twice a day and add water to the kibble. TOTW seemed too rich for Miss bunky so I switched her to Natural Choice for Sensitive stomachs as she was having very soft stools. She is now back on the grain free after 5 weeks on the Natural Choice. We are very diligent about picking up the poo (3 times a day) but she will run after my 2 boys and scoop it up practically before it hits the ground! :oops: Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?

The DeLaney's
George, Rexxy and Miss Bunky

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Poo eating ewww

Post by Cindy »

YUK!!! This is not the ideal solution but you could try a muzzle. They make ones that the dog can easily drink through but makes it really hard to eat anything. Jessie had to wear one the last year she was alive to keep her from eating horse manure.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Sounds pretty compulsive....probably not much you can do as long as she is on meds except keep her on leash until you get a chance to do a poop patrol. Inconvenient I know, but management and physical control is about it when it's that obsessive.

Cindy's idea is sure worth a try, though be sure to break her in slowly to the muzzle....less than a minute in the beginning increasing to tolerance and acceptance, treating as you go along..... before you turn her outside with it on. Also, don't allow the dogs to play or rough and tumble while she is muzzled, teeth get caught in things like that and can cause a traumatic event for both dogs.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Good point on the teeth in the muzzle Barb, I never thought of that. How about treating her high value treats on leash while the other's are doing their business, and then cleaning up before she's set loose? I have never had any luck with additives to make the poo unappealing either - I mean, really, what tastes worse than poo?
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

We have been going outside with our dogs/ or monitoring them 95% of the time for the last 3 years to try and prevent the poop eating.
We haven't found something that worked otherwise. On the plus side we have 99% poop free yard for the kids to play in!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I think you can teach the dog not to eat poop. Lola is a poop eater only its worse (well I think its worse) because she doesn't eat her own poop (I've only one dog and keep the yard clean)... she eats stranger's poop. It is something that has really frustrated me and one of the only things that truely makes me angry. But over the years things have improved a lot! The situation is a little different from yours but I have taught Lola to go pee on poop on the side of the road... She does it about 95% of the time, about 4% of the time I have to holler "leave it" and she does, and about 1% of the time she can't resist and gets it. (Then she has to heel the rest of the way home - I don't think she knows why she has to heel - but it makes me feel better.)

Anyway, I'd take her out on a leash near the boys when they were scheduled to do their business and when it happens I'd practice "leave it" and maybe "sit"... with lots of good treats. Or maybe when the boys are pooping get someone else to call her and let her go get a treat (that'll maybe teach her to come when the boys are busy)... I suppose it depends on whether you can reliably predict when the boys will go... Lola is on a pretty rigid schedule - you can practically set a clock by her.