Males better at being a watch dog?

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

AmIdogcrazy?
Puppy

Males better at being a watch dog?

Post by AmIdogcrazy? »

Hi everyone. I am looking into getting another brittany. I have a female right now. We have a dachshund and I would call him our first alert. He barks at people who come to the door etc. He is just a good watch dog. Our brittany, I call back-up. She gets up and looks but does not bark. She is a quiet dog. I was wondering about males, do they make good watch dogs or are they like my female. I have looked in books and they say either yes or they say no. I have only had females. So I thought I would ask people who have them.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Males better at being a watch dog?

Post by Barb Wright »

My female Britt was a very good "bark-alarm"....and when she got deaf and nearly blind she did pre-emptive barking at the patio doors just in case :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

My female is the alert barker here. My male just seems kinda oblivious most of the time. The only time Buster barks is when he wants something from me.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

My Cooper barks when the foxes "bark" at night. Other than that, he really doesn't bark much. On the other hand, my female Beagle/Brit mix is quite a barker and will join Cooper if he barks even if she doesn't know what she is barking at :roll:

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Definitely the females here too. My male barks, but not as much as the girls do. He is much better at jumping on anyone brave enough to enter our home tho'.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I've only ever owned one male and he was useless as a watchdog (very sweet otherwise though). It always seems that one of my females is a good alarm barker and right now that is Layla. I'm really happy about it given that we live in such a rural area and I'm home alone alot.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy is a darn good watch dog - alerts and charges the window and basically acts hideous when people walk by on the street, what a character.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

LOL, Rose! It's hard to imagine Daisy as being "hideous"! I remember her as such a sweet girl at the PA picnics!

I have both male and female, and I think it depends more on the dog than the sex. Maggie will bark up a storm at any alarming noise, but Emma will only bark to "back up" Maggie. Sam will also bark, but he'll usually have a better reason than Maggie! (Meaning, Sammy seems to barks at "real" things, whereas sometimes, I can't figure out WHAT Maggie is barking at!!!) :roll:

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy is a very sweet girl and she likes just about everyone who comes in - although sometimes she can be a little shy.

But man, when people walk by, esp. if they have a dog - she goes ballistic and flies at the window barking like a mad woman....you'd have to be stupid to come in my house with her acting that way....the FedEx guy wouldn't even really let me open the door to get a package because he thought Daisy was going to "get him".....

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F