BIG day for Layla

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

BIG day for Layla

Post by Cindy »

We've now had Layla for 5 weeks and she's totally settled into our routine and is a real sweetheart. We've been working with her and the e-collar since we've definitely had a harder time getting her attention than with any other dog we've had. So today was the day we took her "off leash" to our neighbors property where they have about 150 acres. We kept a 20' nylon cord on her but she did great. Of course we left the other 2 dogs at home so there wouldn't be distractions, knowing she'd find plenty of other things to take her attention away from us. John had to "nick" her a few times when she didn't respond to the pulse/vibration but we never felt like she was going to run away too far. We took her to the pond and she actually had her first real swim. She was fascinated with the pollywogs but eventually got in deep enough so she had to swim. But she didn't panic, went around in a circle. and then came out. She definitely seemed to enjoy it so now we're looking forward to getting her out to Lake Moomaw.

E-collar Question - for those of you with way more experience than we have - do you normally have to nick or even shock your dog to get their attention? Layla just gets so distracted that she doesn't respond to our calling her sometimes. Just wondering when you decide to "up" the penalty for not coming when called.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: BIG day for Layla

Post by mkilcz »

Rocket wears an e-collar when off-leash in the field. He's generally responsive to either a whistle or hand signals (if he sees me), but like Layla, he sometimes gets distracted. In the beginning, before I ever used the collar on Rocket, I tested it on my hand so I would know what the stimulus felt like, and to determine the range that I felt comfortable using. Usually a nick on a low setting is enough to get his attention. The only times I've ever gone beyond that was when there was a safety issue at stake (chasing deer, etc.).

Marge

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: BIG day for Layla

Post by adele »

I did the same thing with Lola... I used the colar on myself (I put it on my neck) so I knew what I was doing to Lola. I usually only needed to use the lowest setting - but I did have to use it. On the lowest setting it was more a tickle than a pain. I sometimes turned it up to the next setting which felt a lot like someone snapped an elastic bank on a bare wrist. And on a handful of occassions I turned it up even higher because she was going to run onto a street.