Strange breathing

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cariboo
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Strange breathing

Post by Cariboo »

This has been happening for a long time, and nothing seems to be wrong, but I just realized that I could post it here :P , and maybe learn what it is...

OK, so here's the deal: For a while now, Lucky has been having random bouts of spazzed out breathing. He'll suddenly, for apparently no reason, start gasping through his nose. He'll take a BIIIIG quick sniff, then let it out shallowly, then another HUUGE sniff, and so on. These stop as quick as they start. He'll do this when he's sleeping, or walking. Pretty much anywhere, I think...

So, what do you all think? :? It's like he's hyperventilating, or something.
Hi!

I'm Lucky!

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Our dogs all do this. We call it having the huffs. The vet in the paper had a column about it the other day. He called it reverse sneezing. He said it isn't anything dangerous, it's an irritation of flap in the back of the throat that closes when they swallow . It could be caused by dust or pollen or other airborne irritants . Our vet said that sometimes pine needles can cause it. 8) Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

No idea what causes it, but Britty does the same thing. Usually, when she's just laying quietly in her crate. It's happened once while on a walk and once in PetsMart. It seems to help her if I rub her throat while the attack is occurring.

When I described it to the vet, he said it might be allergy related.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

Here's a short article about reverse sneezing:

Reverse sneezing

I've never had a dog who didn't do it occasionally. It really does sound alarming, but it's harmless.

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Ok, I'm a bit confused if Duke is reverse sneezing or whether he is having a bronchospasm (like an an asthma attack). The last time he had a breathing "attack" was when he was sick - he had been vomiting because the bugger ate cardboard which temporarily obstructed his intestines. (The vet recommended to wait it out & it passed, thank goodness.)

Anyway, he wheezed so long that it was eternity & then his heart raced so fast & hard that we heard it! It was soooo scary. My sister (a respiratory therapist for humans) suggested that he may have irritated his bronchioles / throat with the vomit & suggested that the way to decrease inflammation was to use cool, dry air. So Duke spent more time outside (it was winter).

But Duke also has these "attacks" for shorter duration every once in a while.

-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Kathy , I too am a Respiratory therapist for Humans although I've been retired a few years from that . Anyway what you are describing sounds like an asthma attack and he most likely did irriatate his Bronchioles .Reverse sneezing sounds like having a hyperventilation attack with the inspirations being a lot more pronounced . Dogs have the same maladies of the lungs as Humans :( My Angie passed away due to lung cancer . My first girl Amber had COPD caused from who knows , dust etc. over her many years .DAVE

joe s
Puppy

Post by joe s »

I had something similar with my brit who is twelve, you may want to check into something called Laranyx paralasys. it is when the flaps in the back of the through don't open and close right. I have not found out a lot about it, and don't want to alarm you, but what it is what my brit has and I wsh i would have done something about it earlier. He has trouble breathing and i can't let him get to excited. Good Luck