Worms

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Worms

Post by Dave »

My new foster has worms and I've given him worm medicine . I'm not sure what worms they are . I'm see them in his stool and it looks like rice kernels . The medicine I'm giving him is Pyrantel Pamdate . I give 1cc per 10 lbs. body weight . Any info would be appreciated . Thanks Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

What you see in the stool sounds like tapeworm eggs...you might also see these same "rice grains" attached to the hair of the anus. The wormer you are giving, Pyrantel Pamoate will not take care of tapes. I would take a sample stool into the vet, actually several, plus one with the eggs for sure. They can better tell what worm you are dealing with. It is better to get the correct wormer for the correct worms than to just use an OTC.

Just my way of doing it over the years...FWIW
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Jen »

Dave,

Barb's right - for Tapes you need Drontal or Droncit to kill them. You'll probably want to take a sample in just to see if there are any other types of worms hanging around, but rice kernals are definately tapes.

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Thanks , I'll take a sample in tomorrow . 8) Dave

Sandy
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Sandy »

Rusty had tapeworms a couple of times and the vet gave him Drontal. The worms looked like little sesame seeds.

When he was younger he would dig and mole hunt. The problem was he would actually catch them and swallow them whole - I never saw anything like that before. I would swear that the poor moles legs were kicking when they went down. This was before he learned 'drop it' and listened. Nasty stuff. But anyway, from what I've been told, if they eat a rodent, tape worms are almost a certainty.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Hutch did have tapeworms and I gave him Drontal . My vet almost laughed when I come walking in with a bag of poop .He said the worm medicine I've given him is actually a good idea seeing that he was out living on his own as a stray for awhile . 8) Dave