Injured front foot .

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Injured front foot .

Post by Dave »

Hutch came in from outside playing with Levi and he won't bear weight on his right front foot . I feel bad for him and I can't see any apparent injury . I can check it out and he doesn't pull away from me and it isn't swollen compared to the other foot . We've got various holes all over the yard and :roll: they race aroung like maniacs . I was thinking he probably got his front foot in one speeding on the way by . I gave him aspirin and he is just hanging out and growling when Levi comes over to him , man what a crab :? Any ideas what else to do ? My vet is closed till Monday morning and it doesn't appear to be broken . Thanks Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

If you can't see any obvious signs of injury, or any stickers or anything stuck either in the pads or between the toes, then it might just be a sprain. If it's just a sprain, not much you can do except give him painkillers and try to keep him quiet for a day or two. If he's still not bearing weight on it by Monday, I'd say a trip to the vet would be in order.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Just got back from the vet , as it was swelling twice the size since I posted this . He doesn't have a break :D He has a localized swelling that looks to be a soft tissue injury . He might have even got stung by a Hornet . . I've had trouble with Hornet nests and got stung last year . I'm going nest hunting shortly armed with Hornet killer . I just have to be very careful that the dogs don't get into the Hornet killer .My vet gave him some Benadryl and a steroid to help the swelling down . I'll have to crate rest him till he starts to bear weight on it . Kids and dogs :roll: :lol: Dave

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Well Hutch slept the whole night and I had to almost pick him up to go out and pee last night when Levi wanted out . That Benadryl knocked him out and all he wanted to do was snooze . Every once in a while I go over and pet him and talk to him till he opened his eyes and looked at me . After the pain meds and took hold he calmed down and licked my hand when I gave him a pet :D It was a real wrestling match at the vet . I took the chance he has bonded to me and wouldn't bite me :roll: . He sure cried and yiped and thought about biting the vet when she was checking him out and moving that swollen joint :shock: He even had my hand in his mouth , but didn't bite down WHEW . :lol: I guess I should have muzzled him . An injured dog , even your own will bite when they are freaked out and people are poking and bending an injury . I'm going to buy a muzzle and put it in the first aid kit I'm making for my poops 8) Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Dave: I've always thought that it is a good idea to get a dog used to a muzzle before you have to use it in an emergency :idea: That way the muzzle does not add to the stress of the situation, whatever it may be.

Start by having the dog go for a treat through the muzzle...do not put the muzzle on, just hold the treat through the end so they have to put their nose into the muzzle to get the treat. Do this just 2-3 times a week just for a treat or two...then start setting the muzzle on the muzzle :roll: but not attaching it, treating, just for a quick time. When this becomes old hat, start attaching the muzzle for a minute or two at a time, slowly increasing the time, always making it a fun/goody event. Some dogs will accept it much much faster...just watch the dog and stay in his comfort zone time wise. Teaching a young puppy to accept a muzzle is usually the best place to start....but older dogs can easily learn this too :)

Then just practice leaving it on for 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a month, always during quiet times, not when there is a hullaballoo going on :wink: Now, hoping and praying it never is needed, you have a dog that will accept a muzzle without a struggle adding to the stress of the situation 8)

Which reminds me :oops: Cassie hasn't had her muzzle on for a couple years :oops: Guess we need to do a little "re-familiarization" time too :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Dave,
How's Hutch's foot? Jest curious.
-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

His foot is much better Thanks for asking . We believe he got stung by a Hornet . The swelling is almost gone and he's running and playing like a mad-man with Levi :roll: . Saturday afternoon was not nice . We put him through an ordeal to make sure it wasn't broken . I had to pick him up and carry him outside to pee . He probably could have hopped out but I felt bad for him . I don't baby my Brittanys :roll: :lol: Dave

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

glad he's okay.

kathy - everytime i see herman's tongue in that pic - i bust out laughing. he looked like a character.
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

everytime i see herman's tongue in that pic - i bust out laughing. he looked like a character.
:lol: Herm was a character alright! Longest tongue I ever saw! When my nephews (5 & 7 years old) were over, they would sit on the floor to take off / put on their sneakers. Herm would sneak up on the boys & give them great big "kissers" right on their faces. :) Of course, the boys would just roar with laughter! :o

-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Hutch has had a few bouts with being lame at his new home . After a vet visit and a $260 bill his new owner reported that he had a possible sprain and then after acting lame again the vet thought there might be a tumor or cyst in his pad of his right front foot . It is aggrivating the nerves and he has been licking at it so much he now has an infection . He's on antibiotics for awhile then he will get anethetized and she'll check it out to see what's going on .Poor guy I hope he's alright . Has anyone had this type of problem :?: Thanks Dave

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Hi Dave,
My aunt's American Springer, Kelly, injured her front paw, somehow, and was limping around. My aunt & uncle thought that maybe Kelly stepped on a thorn, but they couldn't see any external damage to the paw or pad. Kelly did lick her paw a lot (but not to the point of infection as with Hutch's case). Kelly limped around for a long time. My aunt & uncle figured that maybe she stepped on a sharp rock (in their creek) & that Kelly had a deep paw bruise that took a long time to heal.

I don't know if this helps for Hutch's case, but I'm sorry to hear that he's got a problem. I hope that it's a deep bruise (versus a cyst). Hopefully he's got some great, understanding owners & a good vet.

-Kathy

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Dave,

Shortly after we adopted Zach, his foot between 2 toes got infected. It would swell up, break open, bleed, Zach would lick at it, he'd go on antibiotics, the swelling would go down and he'd be okay for a couple of weeks, and then we'd start up all over again. Zach was on and off antibiotics for a good 6 months, then we aspirated it, found icky, very thick white stuff inside the swollen area, so I scheduled to have it removed. Thank goodness my vet is a saint. The surgery was out-patient surgery and only cost $175. It healed up beautifully and you'd never know he had surgery. He doesn't guard it and we've never had a recurrence since.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

janjan
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by janjan »

Dave, what is the scoop on that foot? Heard anything?

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I haven't heard . I hope it's a cyst . Thanks for asking . I think he has to be on the antibiotics for a week before the vet explores it . I'll post when I find out . 8) Dave

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

My former foster Hutch aka "TUG" is having some foot problems . I originally posted this as injured foot .He is thought to have a mass in his pad and the vet thinks it is pressing on the nerves making him lame . Originally we treated him for a possible hornet sting , which I know from personal experience to be quite painful and even life threatening if allergic . I got an update and he is licking his feet like crazy and his new mom says she thinks he might be allergic to grass . Her lawn has no added chemicals , our first thought , and she is going to keep him off the lawn to see if the condition improves . I'm going to invite her to join in and maybe we can get a collective of ideas to assist her and the vet with this problem .Thanks Dave