Tarter... Uh oh..

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tarter... Uh oh..

Post by Mark »

Well, I have been trying to brush Monty's teeth as best as I could. I thought I was getting in there pretty good, but today, he really let me get in there to clean, and I noticed a few brown spots on his teeth that wouldn't come off with the toothpaste and toothbrush.. is there any way to get this tarter off?? Any tips on keeping our pups with pearly whites??

-Mark

itchywool
Puppy

Post by itchywool »

The most important thing is the health of their gum line. Brushing will remove some scale and some staining but some will be permanant unless you have a vet scrape and clean them under anesthsia. Thats not really necessary unless the build up is very thick and prevents a tight gum line. If the dog is really comfortable with your hands in his mouth you could try to scrape some of the tartar with a dentist pic but that is a rare dog that will sit for that.

The use of a good oral rinse like CET also cuts down on build up when used with toothpaste.

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

rosie has a few stains that would require scraping. we opted not to as the vet says her gums/teeth are fine. we brush her teeth usually once a week.

who ever had her before may have not so thats how the stains came about - its very minor.

DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by DualCH Brits »

Mark, for a young dog like Monty I would recommend letting him gnaw on some raw bones for recreation. Using raw bones.....and I prefer the bones that are non weight bearing bones as they tend to be softer (which in turn will keep tooth breakage to a minimum) will help get those "tuff to reach brush spots" in your dental regime.

I use neck, shoulder, collar bone, pelvis, femoral head etc... and use lamb, beef, pork as the bone source too. The key is make sure the bone is too big to swallow whole and will require some "chewing" action for the dog's enjoyment. As soon as the bone is whittled too small, replace it with a new one.

None of my dogs are in need of dentals yet......and they are ranging in age from 3-13. Of everybody, the 13 year old has had routine dentals in his life, and the last one happened over 6 years ago!!!!1
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com

Mary Ann
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Mary Ann »

Helen,
Where do you get the raw bones, a butcher shop? We don't have any in our town.
Hunter would love them.
Mary Ann

DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by DualCH Brits »

The grocery store meat clerk maybe able to help you, especially the smaller or more local companies. Sometimes you just have to ask if there are soup or dog bones available bacause they don't routinely put them out for sale. Most of the time you can only get beef bones at thegrocery store, but don'e be afriad to ask for the other kinds too. If they don'thave them, they might know who does.

Also......I have found that the stores that cater to the more ethnic cuisines (mexican, asian, east indian, jewish, etc...) will have the odd things in stock like pork and lamb necks, pig's hocks, lamb shoulder.
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the tips everyone..

Monty actually has a femur bone that he chews on constantly (beef). His teeth are nice and pearly, just stained in a few of the recesses on those back molars.. but it sounds like it isnt anything to be too worried about.. :)