Raw diet hiccup #1

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Raw diet hiccup #1

Post by LizBot »

Sooo.... When Jazz was eating the yucky old Science Diet Puppy kibble, we never had an issue with his general behavior in the kitchen. Now that he's eating real food, I've noticed he's spending an awful lot of time stalking me around the kitchen during Family Food Prep time. After he gets kicked out of the kitchen a half dozen times, he wanders off just long enough to come back as my oldest is setting the table and I'm plating food. I kick him out again (or someone does), and he has pretty much decided he's going to ignore "Out!" to stare at us with his creepy yellow eyes while we try to eat.

I'm feeding him in 2 meals at this point with a small meaty bone for his breakfast when my husband gets home from night shift. Each meal is about 13 ounces, mostly meat and organs with a little liver and some fibrous veggies. He gulps this down in about 2 minutes if left to his own devices; I have tried feeding him in smaller portions but it results in him staring at me expectantly even harder. :P I also tried holding the bowl on my lap so that it was elevated to see if it slowed him down before I invested in a fancy bowl stand, but no luck there. The only thing that is working out is he sits when I have the food dish in hand, then waits until I tell him "Eat!" to begin devouring the contents.

Anyone have a clever way to inhibit the begging behavior? I don't see how he's hungry after gorging himself on essentially more food than I eat at one sitting. He tends to get sick if he overeats anyway. Much like the biting behavior (which has slowed down but not stopped at this point), Jazz seems like he's willfully oblivious to my command. This 12-week-old puppy can now sit, lay down, stay, wait, roll over, shake, "open" and "close" his mouth on command, jump "up" and catch things out of midair on command, heel, come, "leave it", get "off" of furniture or people", "bring" items and follow hand signals to the item in question, and "get [insert name of item or person here] -- all with reasonable accuracy for such a little thing. We're constantly teaching him new tricks and commands in 2-3 sessions; there's no way he doesn't know what I mean. :P

I've resorted to kenneling him during meals or putting him on leash with it attached to a chair leg until we're done eating, but I'd like for him to have free access to the house. He's distraught when he's not with the family, and I think that's a breed thing as far as I can tell. But he can't be with us if he's licking his chops, trying to snatch food off plates, jumping up on chairs, and barking at us when we won't toss him scraps. I can deal with dogs that lay on the carpet and slowly inch their paws over the invisible line as a taunt, but this is getting a little crazy. :evil:
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Raw diet hiccup #1

Post by Cindy »

This is not my area of expertise but have you thought about giving him little treats in a kong that he needs to roll around (or something) to get at them? It would be a distraction at least.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

BARB J
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by BARB J »

Thanks for the laugh! :D You have a way with words.

We've trained Gus to go to his PLACE while I'm preparing food. His PlACE is the kitchen rug, which is obviously moveable so in training, I'd move it around to different areas of the room so he 'got' that PLACE is rug, not the area of the room. All I have to do is point to his PLACE and he'll fall all over himself to get there and get into a down.

Lest you think this was immediately successful, we're still working on the STAY once he gets there, but while I'm prepping food and he's on the rug, wonderful things tend to fall from the sky right in front of his nose. As long as he's there and in his DOWN.

If you've taught him so much so quickly, you'll have no trouble with this. Start out just rewarding him when he accidentally gets on the rug, associate it with a word or hand gesture, and you're on your way.

I told our trainer he could do this but wouldn't stay during meals, which was my goal. She asked what I was doing to make it too hard for him and the light bulb went on. The rug was too far from the table for him to quite pull it off. I now move the rug closer to the table and he's getting really good at settling in on it while we eat. If he bothers us, he simply spends the rest of the meal in the crate.

Eventually, I want him to go to his PLACE when the doorbell rings. Yeah . . . seems like a pipe dream right now. Also, if trained to go to his PLACE, in theory the rug can travel with you to friends' homes, etc. too.

Pray tell, how do you train a dog to open and close his mouth! :?:

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola has her "magic mat" to sit on while I'm preparing meals. (It's the mat in front of the back door which is handy to our counter). It's magic because when she sits on it, bits of food drop from the heavens. I started that when she was a puppy and now she's 8 she still rushes to the mat when I'm cooking. In fact, sometimes I'll ask DH "where's Lola" and we find her sitting up straight like an overacheiving school girl waiting for a treat. :lol: :lol: funny thing is, she gets a treat when we discover her there - it must truely be a magic mat.
I've posted this pic before but here it is again:
I'm trying to train Tramp to a "spot" too but he isn't catching on as quickly. Tramp thinks 5 feet from me is Siberia. He likes to be close enough to be stepped on. He'll get it eventually.

For mealtime both my dogs get a kong (PB and kibble mixed together) when we sit down to eat. That is because I feel rude eating in front of anyone (dog or human) without sharing... Once the kong is finished Lola knows she's not going to get anything further and looks out the window. Tramp, well, he hasn't even been with us for a year... he lies down on someone's feet, that's fine... sometimes he gets a bit pushy and sits and stares but we just tell him down and ignore him. That's how I trained Lola... Kong then just ignored her. It worked.

I think it's just a matter of figuring out what/where you want the dog to do and then being really consistent... your pup will learn.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Love that picture of Lola and such a smart girl. :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by LizBot »

Thanks for the ideas. :)

I tried filling my little guy's Kong with peanut butter the other night as suggested, but no luck there. We also use empty, dry water bottles as a cheaper "treat ball", and I filled it with Cheerios. He just doesn't seem to care about anything else once I start cooking, but I will definitely see if I can't train him to sit on a rug or something while we eat.

Until then.... Oye. My husband woke up early today and surprised me by having our very intelligent 3-year-old help him make a pot roast. She picked out all the veggies and spices herself; it was quite tasty. Jazz thought it smelled tasty, too.... for all 6 hours that it was cooking. He was in a state of perpetual arousal, driving me insane with his begging and predatory stalking about the kitchen. I finally gave him some roast and broth-soaked carrots hours after I cleaned out the crock pot and had put away the leftovers. I don't mind sharing some with him as long as he doesn't associate it with attacking us during meals. :P

I'm hoping your suggestions will help, along with the new step I've added to him getting to eat. I'm making him "Watch" (make eye contact with me) for about 3 seconds before I tell him to eat. I plan on extending the time so he learns a little patience, which will perhaps in turn reduce the amount of time he spends obsessing over food.

As an aside, I mentioned writing a book about the truth of Brittanys for future owners. I'm adding in the part about a strong tendency towards OCD behaviors. ;P
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!