Sneezing

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

tobster
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Sneezing

Post by tobster »

For the past couple of days, Toby (10 mo old Brit) has been sneezing excessively. Spring just came to the city this week, so I'm wondering if this could be allergies? Not sure if that affects dogs. Or could he have eaten something or is being exposed to something he is allergic to? There has been no diet change, but of course he could have gotten into something without me knowing. Any ideas? What other things could be causing all this sneezing? Should I take him to the vet

thanks in advance for any help!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Sneezing

Post by Cindy »

Definitely could be allergies. Does he seem OK other than the sneezing i.e. he's eating and drinking, plenty of energy? If so, I would probably give it some more time before taking him to the vet. On the other hand, if you're one of those people (like I am), who worries until you have an answer, make an appointment! :lol: :lol: Keep us posted either way.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

In the early years I'd be running to the vet.... now I'm so tired of running to the vet I'd wait and see. It sounds like alergies to me (on the other hand, I read somewhere that allergies in dogs tend to show up as skin irritations... I don't know how true that is. Maybe he has something stuck up his nose).

You could try giving him a benedryl or a claritan. I give Tramp Claritin (well I give generic loratadine 10mg) when he has a reaction. You can google" Loratadine for dogs" and there is tons of info out there. The only reason I give loratadien (Claritin) instead of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is that I too suffer from allergies and Benadryl puts me to sleep so I use Claratin which doesn't cause drowsyness. Therefore I have Claritin in the house... and it works for both me and Tramp. Give one a try. If it doesn't work - after waiting a few days in between - give the other a try. Just make sure there is no decongestant included in the medication.. that's bad for dogs.

One thing, being an allergy sufferer, if your dog has allergies do him a favour and give him some kind of antihistamine.. he will thank you for it.

LucyDuncan
Puppy

Post by LucyDuncan »

It comforts me to hear that other Brittany owners see allergies, even though I hate that your pup is suffering from it, too! Our Maggie is 2 and as soon as spring hits she develops a belly rash - or ear infections - or sneezing. There is something in our yard that causes her belly to become SO inflamed! I'm sure years ago when our house was built there might have been nicer grass or even sod in the back yard, but over time different types of grass have spread in different areas and there is no telling which one causes her to have reactions. Completely agree with Adele on the antihistamines. Our vet suggests Claritin, Benadryl, and even Zyrtec. We've tried them all and we think Benadryl helps her the most - and with our Britt just being 2, we haven't seen any signs of sleepiness from her :lol:
Nub Love

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

It occurs to me that maybe since this is the first time... maybe should see the vet... maybe it is allergies and all he needs is an antihistamine.. but maybe there is something else causing it and I'd hate to be the one to tell you to give medication when something else is wrong.