Older dogs and anesthesia

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Older dogs and anesthesia

Post by Annabelle »

Hi
Its probably been years since I last poster but we still have our two brits Jack and Ruby.

Ruby is now 15 1/2 yrs old. I was hoping not to do any more medical treatments on her, just comfort. But she has a sebaceous adenoma (benign) on her leg that irritates her (she licks it ever time she lies down). She also has a growth on her eyelid that bothers her and we treat with a daily ointment. Her blood work is really good and she still has a lot of zest for life (likes her walks and still tries to counter surf - a new habit developed in the last year).

I am torn about whether to treat topically or to try surgery to alleviate her discomfort, What are the risks of anesthesia at this age? What are your experiences?

She is definitely a geriatric now - this last winter was hard and she has started having accidents in the house (bm)

Thanks

Lisa

Re: Older dogs and anesthesia

Post by Lisa »

I'd have bloodwork done prior to anesthesia, just to make sure kidneys/liver are working as they should. Otherwise, the risks are no more than with any other dog. I had Madi put under for major ear surgery when she was 15 and a dental when she was 16. She recovered fine both times.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Older dogs and anesthesia

Post by Cindy »

I agree with Lisa. If you have to do it ... you have to do it. I'd probably take advantage of the opportunity to have her teeth done too, if needed. I'm assuming you've tried things like Bitter Apple to keep her from licking her leg?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla