Raw Diet Adventure Update

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

LizBot
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Raw Diet Adventure Update

Post by LizBot »

Well, we've been doing the raw diet with Jazz for almost 2 months now. As promised by the reading I did before we switched, Jazz's coat is shiny and soft, his teeth are pearly white, and his stools are mostly odorless. Time will tell if his urine won't burn the grass (once the grass is no longer dormant -- Spring hasn't quite fully sprung yet).

We have, however, begun to supplement once a day with Costco's Salmon and Sweet Potato Grain-Free kibble. Jazz began the raw diet happy to eat carrots, spinach,asparagus, green beans, peas, and a variety of other vegetables and fruits. In the past few weeks, he started nosing them out of the way and refusing to eat them unless he was ravenously hungry. So, enter the grain-free kibble to make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs to grow into a healthy adulthood. In a few more weeks, I'm going to try reintroducing veggies and see if he's stopped being so picky. On the bright side, Costco only charges $32 for the 30 lb. salmon grain-free kibble (less for beef or turkey) so we're still holding steady around $1.50/lb to feed Jazz a super premium diet that he loves. :)

We also managed to get an informal contract with a small butchery. They're selling us cow liver and other organs for 60 cents/lb, and gave us a few enormous meaty bones for free. The only thing they won't do is tripe, which is unfortunate. I still don't understand why they can't just put it in a container for us but apparently the wife of the operation just hates that particular part with a passion. Oh well.

Now accepting any suggestions to get my puppy to eat his veggies. I have three kids so I've already tried the "hide it in the other food" trick and I even slathered them in bacon fat. We were mixing all of his food in the processor or using the meat grinder to puree it, but he takes all day to eat his lunch/dinner if he can't pick the veggies out. I already have three stubborn children, I suppose a fourth was just destined to be. ;)
The Amazing Jazz : Master of Manipulation and Cute-ifying Stunts!

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Raw Diet Adventure Update

Post by Barb Wright »

Just forget the veggies for a while. Dogs have no real constant need for veggies. They don't digest or utilize them well. The perfect raw diet....think a small furry creature.....would have fermented vegetation in the gut that would satisfy that particular need in the carnivore. Since Jazz doesn't like them just give him a break from them and only include them occasionally, say a tablespoon at a time mixed in something like tuna fish or mackerel. Of course his nose can detect them, but maybe if they are just there once in a while he will take them in without so much drama. Also, you might try introducing one pureed vegetable at a time and see if there are some that he tolerates better than others. If you can find some he does like then that should make both of you happy :wink:

Keeping occasional dry kibble in the diet is an okay practice since sometimes things come up and it's the easiest and most expedient thing to use temporarily. However, commercial kibble does not supply the vit/min and amino acid spectrum in a optimum manner. All the vit/min additions that are used in commercial kibble are synthetic. The body uses synthetics differently and less efficiently than it does those same nutrients that occur naturally in raw unprocessed foods. So, thinking kibble to be a good addition to a raw diet is not going to fulfill your expectation. A raw diet containing variety sources of muscle meat, fat, bone, and offal (liver, heart, kidney, brain) covers the nutritional requirements for dogs perfectly. Adding eggs and the occasional fruit/veggie puree completes and fulfills the needs beautifully. The fact that dogs survive (not necessarily thrive) on commercial kibble is merely a tribute to the ability of the carnivore to adapt and utilize what is available.

Lucky you finding a small butchery where you can get a nice variety. On the tripe, you can get canned tripe. I used to glop a spoonful or so on Cassie's dinner from time to time. Of course it does not have the great nutritional value that you find in raw tripe....doesn't smell as bad either :roll: .......but it's a tasty addition that most dogs really like. Might also be a way to get Jazz to eat a small serving of pureed veggie :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Raw Diet Adventure Update

Post by adele »

If you have a pet food store that sells frozen food they might sell frozen raw green tripe. I know of one but it's just too far from home so Lola has only had tripe a few times.

Lola will only eat veggies if I pulverized them in the blender and then I make a slurry with a dollup of veggies, a dollup of yoghurt, water, and a touch of blood. Toss in a few pieces of raw meat and pour over a raw turkey neck.. She eats that - but if I tossed veggies into her bowl she wouldn't touch them.
I've kinda fallen away from giving mine veggies because it's a lot of work (I am a very lazy person at heart). I do however still give canned pumpkin (mixed with yoghurt, water, blood, and meat) both dogs eat it and it makes for good poop. I also feed kibble for the convenience (in kongs and for dinner).