Kayla - hypothyroid

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Kayla - hypothyroid

Post by Cindy »

Here's my dilemma ... when I brought Kayla to the vet for her vestibular issue they did bloodwork. Everything came back excellent (even better than her last bloodwork in March) with the exception of her thyroid which was low. We decided to have the more detailed thyroid test done just to make sure. The results came back at 6 with the range being 8-40 (I think). Other than the fact that we've definitely see her energy level slow down in the last year or so (she's about 13 yrs) there are no other typical symptoms. Her weight is great, her coat and skin are normal, appetite great, no ear infections, etc. I did a little reading and see that low thyroid could cause some mental dullness (she's not as sharp as she used to be but who is??!! :lol: ) and sometimes dragging/knuckling under of back feet. We have definitely noticed this, especially climbing stairs) but thought it had more to do with her cataracts/depth perception then anything else.

The vet wants to start her on a very lose dose of thyroid medicine to see if this perks her up a bit. My thought is that if this makes her a bit happier and more energetic (she can do a 6 mile hike/swim without problems except needing a nap afterwards) and possibly sharper, then maybe it's worth trying. If there's not a significant difference then I suppose I could take her off the medicine.

Would you try the medicine? If yes why? If no why not? Anything else I should be thinking about, try, etc.???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Kayla - hypothyroid

Post by Barb Wright »

Here's what I would do.....try the low dose meds for a specific time and see what happens. Or, wait on the meds and instead do another complete thyroid test to see if the low number persists. Am sure trying the meds for a while is a lot less expensive than doing another blood test. However, after she has been on the meds for a while you are still going to have to do another blood test to see what is happening. Sooooo, it's a conundrum :roll:

Blood tests are such a great diagnostic tool, no question there. However, it is just a instant snapshot of a system that is in constant flux, evolving/revolving/resolving constantly. If the diagnosis is questionable rather than definitive it helps to just bite the bullet and do another blood test to see what shows up. JMPO
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

The vet did say that we will need to do another retest after she's on the drugs for 6-8 weeks. I'm waiting on a call from my regular vet who owns the practice to see what he thinks. I just hate to give her something if it's not really necessary. Thanks Barb, I'm definitely leaning toward what you suggested which is put her on the meds, see if we notice any change, and retest in 6-8 weeks.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Since thyroid meds are relatively inexpensive, and a low dose won't hurt her, I'd put her on a low dose, retest in about 8 weeks, and see what happens. If you notice improvement in her activity level and movement, then great - keep her on that dose or adjust according to the blood work. If you don't notice any improvement, the I'd kinda go off of the bloodwork, If her levels are still low, I might try one more 8 week round of meds at a slightly higher dose first, then decide from there. Getting the dose just right to bring levels back up to normal can be a little tricky, and sometimes it takes a bit of playing with the dosage.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thanks Lisa. I always like to be reassured that my logic makes sense to other people. Sometimes it doesn't :roll: