Defecating While Running/Exercising - Normal?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hatch
Puppy

Defecating While Running/Exercising - Normal?

Post by Hatch »

My brittany seems to like or just need to defecate while she is running (leashed) along side my bike. She will literally just stop in her tracks and defecate. It all happens so fast that by the time I slam on the brakes and look, she has already done her business. I am thinking that she can't control it though it all looks like normal and she is ready to run like nothing happened! There are no other health problems and this is not new, it has happened 3 or 4 times every so often. Is this normal or something to worry about? Should I just be making sure so goes before I take her running? Thank you.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Defecating While Running/Exercising - Normal?

Post by Barb Wright »

Hatch wrote: Should I just be making sure so goes before I take her running?
It is really quite common for exercise to stimulate the need to defecate. A lot of dogs will learn to do it on the fly, sled dogs for example, or dogs that marathon. Anyway, you might do some type warm-up exercises to see if you can get that out of the way before you go. You might also try to encourage her to try to keep moving while doing it, that will take some patience and training to get it across. Otherwise, well, guess you just need to know it's probably going to happen and be ready :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Hatch
Puppy

Post by Hatch »

Thanks Barb for the confirmation. In the back of my mind I knew exercise stimulates, but I did not find much reliable data online. If it is healthy, I am happy to do clean up. Not sure how I would encourage her to keep going as it all happens so fast. She breaks and defecates in lightning fashion.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Routine plays a big part in when a dog will eliminate. When they last ate a meal usually determines the timing, stress, exercise, or health issues notwithstanding. Most will get rid of dinner first thing in the morning before they eat breakfast, others need to eat and get that stimulation to the system and then go. Same with the breakfast meal, it will be in the afternoon or evening just before or just after dinner. Some will do an extra poop somewhere in there if they have had snacks, etc. Anyway, getting your dogs timing down will help you "plan" on when to expect the need.

You might use her stops (or anytime she eliminates) as a training opportunity.....be ready for her, and when she squats and lets go praise her and use a special word to identify the act with the word and the praise. You can teach dogs to urinate upon command this way and if they are anywhere near needing to defecate you could get this done upon command as well. It's not too hard to get dogs to learn to urinate upon command, the other will be harder just because of the timing but if you use every opportunity to connect praise and a word with the act they do catch on and will cooperate if possible.

The fact that she does it "lightening fast" means that she was trying to hold it, but finally just had to get rid of it. She then could enjoy the run too :wink: If you settle into a routine of running at certain times she may eventually get the idea to get that out of the way, especially if you start to encourage her with a command word. Like I said, you can use it as a training opportunity to get her to cooperate, if possible. I travelled a lot with my dogs, including airline travel, and getting them to at least urinate on command was almost a necessity. I used "quick potty", some use "hurry", but the word doesn't matter, use whatever comes off for you the easiest, just be consistent with the act/word/praise.

Hope you will let us know what you do and how it works.....we all learn from the experiences of others :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13