Senility/Cognitive Dysfunction- UPDATE

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Senility/Cognitive Dysfunction- UPDATE

Post by adele »

I thought... they must make hearing aids for dogs... googled and ... apparently they do. One website said some pet insurance policies even cover them and to ask your vet. Ya know with so many elderly dogs out there you'd think some smart businessy type vet would be busy perfecting and marketing them. Once it developed into a mass market they could probably be made affordable for everyone.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Glad to hear Kayla still is still able to enjoy life. I wonder if a collar that beeps loudly so you can hear her would help ... but sometimes even our older Britts cover way more ground than we do so that might not help. :)
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I really don't think she hears anything - not a whistle, loud clapping, stamping feet - nothing! We only take her places where we can see her pretty easily OR we wil put her on a leash just to be safe. One of the problems is that if she loses sight of us she starts to panic and run, not necessarily in our direction! We've considered trying to train her to the e-collar but just haven't gotten to that point ... yet. You're right - she can certainly move very fast when she wants to!!

Will have to google hearing aids for dogs (can't imagine how they would stay in) and also check our pet insurance to see if there's coverage!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Cindy, I did not explain too well. What I was thinking is the beep would help you find her. If the weeds are beeping then you know she is near by. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Oh, now I get you! Well, we usually keep a close eye on her, mostly taking her for runs on good paths (she doesn't wander off of them) and open fields. Otherwise she's on our property and doesn't seem to stray very far away ... at least right now! :!:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla