Fish Oil/Omega 3s

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Fish Oil/Omega 3s

Post by Cindy »

This topic has come up before but I've been doing alot of reading and keep finding conflicting information about how much fish oil to give your dog. I generally buy 1000 mg and each dog gets 1/day. If you read the fine print on the back of the bottle they break that down as 600 mg fish oil concentrate, 300 mg omega 3 fatty acids, 162 mg EPA, and 108 mg DHA. My vet told me to triple what I'm currently giving the dogs!!! Does that sound right? What is really the recommended amount to give? Does that vary depending on the age of your dog?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Fish Oil/Omega 3s

Post by adele »

I give mine 2 tablets each day (one tablet is either 1300 or 1000 mg wild salmon oil depending on the brand I have on hand - They get 2/day regardless). Both brands recommended adult human dose is 4 or 5 tablets/day. So they're getting half the human does. My vet thinks 2 tablets per day is not too much - she looked it up -- but I didn't ask what the authority was. I guess since it's an optional supplement we didn't discuss how much was too little.

It seems to me that whenever dietary items are broken down into a chemical analysis - diet becomes too complicated a topic for the average Joe (ie, me).... the vet says the oil I'm giving is fine... that's good enough for me (I know, I know). But the breakdown for 1 tablet in the stuff I'm giving is:
263 mg omega-3 [107 EPA, 93 DHA, 63 other]
33 mg omega-6
The bottle also gives the breakdown of Omegas 5, 7, 8, and 9 plus "othes"... How many darn Omegas are there? Do I need to know?
Are you giving salmon oil this as some kind of therapy? Then maybe a more detailed look might be required.

So, that doesn't really answer your question. Is more better? I dunno. Some is probably better than none.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Here is probably the best and most informative article you will find on Omega 3 for dogs:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/th ... dogs-diet/

HTH :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I read the article (which was quite informative) and looked at the fish oil they sell. Based on Bertes fish oil, they recommend 1 capsule/every 20 lbs (so 2 for my dogs who are all under 40 lbs). So it seems that my vet telling me to triple what the dogs are currently getting is about right? Sorry to sound so dumb but math is definitely NOT my area of expertise!!

My current fish oil
1000 mg fish oil
162 mg EPA
108 mg DHA

Bertes fish oil
1000 mg fish oil
180 mg EPA
120 mg DHA

So instead of giving 1 capsule/day I should give 3 or maybe 4 because the EPA and DHA is lower???

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I tend to think that your fish oil is just fine. You're looking for a therapeutic (as opposed to maintenance) dose, so going to 4-5 capsules a day (best divided up between 2-3 meals) would get you closer to therapeutic. If you have a Costco near you they have a great price on Wild Alaskan Salmon oil...I've been paying around $16.00 for 180 softgels. Actually, I think I have seen the same brand Salmon oil at Walmart. The thing you need to watch out for with cheap fish oil products is they are so often either from poor quality fish or more the case, have been diluted with other oils. You can't get better than wild Alaskan Salmon oil. Also, you're not so much interested in the other Omegas, really just the Omega 3, that is the important one.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thanks Barb - I will go to Costco and/or check Walmart before I buy the next bottle. Also happy to know my marginal math skills are still clicking (to some extent anyway!).