Liver lesion -help

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Liver lesion -help

Post by janjan697 »

My 11 yr old boy had some baseline bloodwork which revealed elevated liver enzymes. They were normal 2 yrs prior. He had an ultrasound and the radiologist says he has a small lesion in one lobe. I am devastated as I lost my other britt in December after many years of chronic hepatitis.
We are going to see a surgeon and discuss.
I am torn, so torn, he is an active healthy boy never had a problem beofre. But he is 11.
Thoughts? Honesty please.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Liver lesion -help

Post by Cindy »

I'm sorry to hear about your dog and I know how you must feel. Getting some more information is ALWAYS the best thing to do and will help you make a better decision. I don't necessarily think 11 years is all that old. We had ACL surgery done on our Britt when she was almost 12 (she lived another 3 very active years and died from a heart problem) and 3 (yup, it's true) surgeries done on an 11 year old dog that was run over in our driveway (and she lived to 15). So I guess you need to find out more about the options and what the potential outcomes are. I've found that most vets will be quite honest with you if you ask. Please keep us posted and good luck.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I think I would say to not worry yet. It's one small lesion and certainly you need to follow up on it, but so often these are benign (non-cancerous). Once the vets have decided just what kind of lesion it is there are protocols designed for specific treatment for specific types. Since you are familiar with chronic liver disease you are properly concerned, but try to not worry too much until the vets can pin it down for you. Here is an excellent site to visit that will explain a lot, plus give you suggestions for supporting the health of the dog whether it turns out to be a serious issue or not. There are also quite a few links for other information so you can be quite informed and knowledgeable and which will then help you to make good informed decisions. http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html

Hoping for a non-scary diagnosis....we're sending positive vibes your way, let us know how it goes.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

The radiologist thinks it's cancer but until it's biopsied we don't know.
I'm grateful that the lesion is small but I am struggling right now to not jump to conclusions or catastrophize.
I will keep you updated after we see the surgeon -over the years I have got a lot of support from this forum.
Thanks everybody.
I will check out the link barb right now -thank you.

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

We saw the surgeon yesterday at the critical care animal hospital.
I have decided to pursue surgery likely to happen over the next couple of weeks. Accord to the ultrasound it is in a part of the liver less busy but could be different once in there. It involves at least an overnight stay probably two. Then leash only for a couple weeks to heal the incision.
Routine bloodwork discovered this and for that I'm grateful that he is pretty much asymptomatic. We have been to this hospital twice before over the years and had very positive experience so I feel comfortable with the vet and the facility.
Will keep you all posted.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Good luck and glad you made a decision you seem to feel good about. We'll be waiting for a full report post surgery! :)

PS If it makes you feel any better, I think I would have gone ahead with the surgery too (not really knowing much about it) if a positive outcome might buy some more quality time.

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

We are home today from Masons surgery.
The mass was bigger than the ultrasound suggested. Also more difficult to access due to his narrow deep chest but he did really well. Spent two nights in hospital and home today.
The incision is huge....like ten inches? He is on oral pain meds. Leash only for pees for three weeks and then three ten minute walks per day for two more. Yikes!
I'm so grateful. So relieved. Very very difficult to hand over the leash that morning,my goodness.
He is sleeping beside me and I couldn't be happier.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Been there, done that, with our first Britt/Springer cross who had a cancerous tumor. Giving the vet tech her leash that morning was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, not knowing if I'd ever see my dog again. So glad the surgery went well and you have that behind you. Now on to getting better!! :)

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

My boy is doing great. Had his staples out this week. He is still not allowed any walks until next week and short ones at that. Biggest challenge has been keeping him off the furniture. He is allowed to sleep up there but I can't have him jumping on or off so for now it's out. He doesn't get it. He stares at the sofa like its a steak.
His mass was a classical hepatoma. Apparently, that's good news as it's not usually a metastasizing cancer. We hope we got it all.
I am feeling very grateful.
Everybody have a great weekend with their pups. They are so precious.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

YES!!!!! We love good news!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I don't know how I missed all these posts but I'm sorta glad because I'm coming in on a positive note. I'm so glad you caught it early. It's such good news. Hopefully there will be many many more years of quality life.

janjan697
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by janjan697 »

We'll that is the thing I feel so grateful about.....I am a believer in getting baseline bloodwork done for exactly this reason. He had no symptoms. His recovery fr the surgery has been awesome. Had we waited til he was symptomatic I am not sure he would have done so well.
His incision looks so good....like a little tummy tuck!
I am spoiling him more than ever...every day is a gift.