Our old brittany

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

nrimshaw
Puppy

Our old brittany

Post by nrimshaw »

We rescued Hunter about 7 years ago when he was 6 and he has been a great family dog. He is now 13 He is an indoor pet and sleeps in his open crate in my daughters room. In the past few weeks, he keeps getting up in the middle of the night and wants to go outside. We get up, let him out, but then he wont come back in. After a while, we get tired of waiting and leave him outside for the night. In the morning, he is obviously upset, pacing the yard, back and forth until we let him in again. He has also now taken to peeing and pooing on the lawn and back patio where he would normally go in the rocks on the side yard. Yesterday, while we were out for two hours, he peed on the carpet right inside the master bedroom which he has never done. It seems like he is getting dimensia or something, we know that he lost most of his hearing, but he is now very disconnected from us. He doe not want to be petted or get any attention. When we reach out to him, he will move to the side, almost like it doesnt feel good anymore. Last night, we left him outside with his crate in the garge so we could get some sleep and this morning he was still pacing back and forth. He used to love walks and i am sure still does, but he will not let us put him on the lead, he pulls back.

Most importantly, we want him to be happy. He is otherwise very fit and healthy, 32 lbs.

Is there anything that we can do to help him? I cant even think about putting down a dog that is healthy, fit, but just now has so much anxiety.

Thanks, Nate

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Our old brittany

Post by Cindy »

Did you read my post from a couple of weeks ago? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11572

I've been doing ALOT of reading on this topic and the behavior you're describing seems to fit your dog to a tee! Kayla is still affectionate with us but we've noticed her pooping in the driveway and just off the deck - places she never would have gone to when she was younger. She also started peeing in the house right near the door, sometimes after we'd just had her outside! For the time being she's started wearing a diaper with a sanitary pad in it when she's inside. She's peed in the diaper twice so I think it's worth the effort. Kayla is also deaf and doesn't see great. She paces a fair amount during the day but we assumed that was an effort to stay on top of what's going on around her. You should Google canine cognitive dysfunction/senility and read a little bit about it to see if it's what you are experiencing.

I took Kayla to the vet and she seemed to agree with my diagnosis after running blood tests to make sure nothing else was going on. That's where I would start. There is a prescription drug that's quite effective (as well as expensive) to treat senility but I decided to go with the supplement route first since Kayla's symptoms are no severe. This is what I've been giving Kayla (32 lbs) for a couple of weeks after discussions with my vet who had been to a class on this topic:

1500 mg fish oil/omega 3 - that's equal to about 4 of my 1000 mg fish oil capsules (make sure you read the fine print ingredients on the back!)

1 tablet Neutricks - bought on Amazon. Read the reviews which are pretty amazing but I can't say I've noticed a difference (yet) but it's only been 1.5 weeks.

200 mg Sam E - bought on Amazon

good quality dry food - I feed Taste of the Wild and a dollop of canned food to hide the pills

This is where I'm starting but my vet suggested some other ideas too:

Switch to Science Diet B/D or Purina EN dog food - I decided I didn't like the quality of the food so probably won't do this.

Senilife - I think this is similar to Neutricks Since I already ordered the Neutricks I will see how that works and then try Senilife if I don't get positive results with Neutricks. I've read about both and both had good reviews.

Zylene - it's a milk protein and helps with memory

Harmonease - made by VPL

Let me know what you find out and feel free to ask me questions. I'm starting to feel like I have a new area of "expertise!"
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I've been giving Neutricks to my Moby for cognitive dysfunction for 1 month now. He hasn't had any blatant moments of appearing to be lost and/or confused. Interestingly, for his weight, he gets 2 pills a day and I've been giving one in the AM and one in the PM. I bought the first bottle from my vet and the label was covering the directions that said best if given in the AM. For this second month, he'll be getting both pills in the AM. My vet, who is very progressive and scientific suggested he take this as the results have been good in the veterinary world (meaning that many vets are supporting it). I figure it's worth a try.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Cindy wrote:1 tablet Neutricks - bought on Amazon. Read the reviews which are pretty amazing but I can't say I've noticed a difference (yet) but it's only been 1.5 weeks."
Cindy, I don't know how much your dog weighs but I'm giving 2 tabs a day to my 50 lb Britt. Also, just wanted you to know that my vet said it will take 1-2 months to see results. My Moby isn't too bad and was exhibiting rare signs of cognitive dysfunction and his theory was to start early since it works on a cellular level. I would take it for at least 2 months before deciding it isn't working.

Janet

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thanks for letting me know what your vet said about the time frame. When you read the Amazon reviews some people said they saw dramatic changes in a few days to a few weeks. I know - those are Amazon reviews!! Anyway, I definitely plan to finish out the jar which is about 2 month's worth for Kayla - she only weighs 32 lbs so only needs 1/day. I am giving it to her in the morning as directed. Since Kayla's symptoms are not terrible, any changes may not be that obvious or dramatic. Hey, I think anything is worth a try!! :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla