Scout - Kidney Failure

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Scout - Kidney Failure

Post by AuntieMom »

Our beautiful 12 year old Brittany, Scout, is in kidney failure. It does not even show up in his blood work yet but the vet did a water deprivation test and it was confirmed.

A few weeks ago, he began wetting in his sleep. He had just had a senior check-up but I took him in to the vet for a closer look. I had hoped it was a bladder infection which can be easily treated. We now have Scout on a blend of regular kibble and a prescription low protein dog food now. I know we need to get him on a better diet though. He is on a human medication but it makes him dizzy so we cut back on the dose which seems to help.

Scout is the only Britt we have that hunts and my DH is his best friend. DH said their last hunting trip was more like a camping trip but they both enjoyed it and may go again soon.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Scout - Kidney Failure

Post by Cindy »

Oh no!! Sorry to hear about Scout. It seems that so many of us are reaching the same "aging dog" places at the same time. It's good to hear what you're doing and what works (or not) because I try to file this info away for future reference should it ever be needed. Is the medication helping with the wetting? You might consider a belly band or diaper just to help with things until you get it figured out. Just a thought ...
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I have a belly band somewhere around here, left over from a foster dog. I need to find it again. DH does not want a diaper on his dog. :P Scout's bed was dry last night so maybe the meds are helping.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Another thing I've gotten over the years, are waterproof liners for dog beds. If you can't find the belly band and you can sew, I have instructions for how to make one.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

A liner for a bed is a good idea. I need to be on the look for those.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Gosh, it seems like too many of our older puppers are falling ill all at once here :cry: Sending hopeful vibes out that treatment will help at least stabilize and keep all comfortable and happy as long as possible. Some of the protocols these days are doing a great job of prolonging life and keeping the dogs enjoying life....always our aim. Keep us all posted on what you do and what seems to help....hands on is tough for you all but your experiences can help each of us.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I ordered waterproof liners from here the last time: http://www.mollymutt.com/dog-duvets/armor.html

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Thanks, Cindy! We have a Molly Mutt duvet cover that Scout likes so this will work well.

gingersnap
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by gingersnap »

Oh, I just saw this. Hoping for the best for Scout and all of you. I know that he will get the best of care from you. ((Hugs))

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

As you know, I'm sending lots of kisses and best wishes to Scout. Since we are going through the same thing right now (kidney failure in our senior) I know how you feel while trying to prolong your beloved friend's life but making sure that the quality is there !!! Cherish the moments !!! I'm sure he'd love to go camping again !! These dogs (read Brittanys) are strong willed. I see it in Shep's eyes every day !!