Active Brittany - cuts from running and play

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

BPGingerMom
Puppy

Active Brittany - cuts from running and play

Post by BPGingerMom »

Hello,
my pup Ginger is 2 years old now, and I think that in the last 6 months she's had 3 different cuts on her legs.
She gets them when she plays and runs off leash after squirrels, etc. and she must just get caught on bushes, landscaping, etc.
I've been providing the first aid with non stick pads, tape, polysporin. I put her in the cone, too. (but then she can't fit thru the doggie door)
Any other recommendations on preventing, treating, healing?
She's just so quick to tear off the bandaid, lick and open up the wound.

Thanks!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Active Brittany - cuts from running and play

Post by Cindy »

That's pretty much what I do when the dogs cut their legs racing around in the woods. Unless it's REALLY bad (that hasn't happened yet) I just clean the cut, put on some antibiotic ointment, and let it be. Yup, they will lick at it but I figure that's helping the healing process. I've never been able to keep a bandage on for more than a few hours so unless there's blood involved, I don't even bother. And the cone is totally out of the question :roll: :roll:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

My Lola was constantly hurting herself when she was allowed to run. Freaked me out at first... just wait until she cuts her ear flap. Oh my we had soooo many nicks and scratches and visits to the vets. The very first time we went an entire year without an emergency visit to the vet was when she was seven years old! She's still at it at 9 years old but she doesn't seem to hurt herself as much - maybe she's finally learned a little common sense? Whenever possible I do like Cindy... just clean it up, maybe little polysporin and leave it.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

We use a product on our dogs called EMT Gel when they get cuts or wounds out in the field. It's a sticky gel that forms a protective layer to help promote healing. Many dog supply places sell it... costs around $15, but it lasts a long time.

Marge