Only had Moose 2 weeks, and already he's had a time!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

fgump
Puppy

Only had Moose 2 weeks, and already he's had a time!

Post by fgump »

He came into our home 13 days ago. He was wonderful for the first 2 days, no problems whatsoever.

Then Friday night (the 5th of December), he threw up (his dinner) in the car on the way to my parents' house about 30 minutes away. Fine thereafter.
Sometime Friday night/Saturday morning, he had a little white foam vomit in his crate.

Then again Saturday morning when I let him out, he vomited as soon as he got outside, again some substantial white foam.
He did eat later in the morning, the same food he had been eating with his foster Mom. He was on Purina Puppy Chow when we got him, and we didn't want to change his diet too quickly. He played in the yard with us, all seemed well.

Sunday, however, he had vomiting (food this time) and diarrhea again. Diarrhea all day, and would not drink or eat anything. Very lethargic. Late Sunday, I poured some plain chicken broth in his bowl, and he would at least drink/eat that. I prepared some rice and boneless skinless chicken, and let him have a small amount of that Sunday evening. But he was still lethargic.

Monday, he was much better, with more energy, but still had some diarrhea.
I emailed a new vet closeby, and they had an available appointment for the next morning.

Last Tuesday, we took him in, and they gave him a first exam (unable to get a fecal at that time, so I brought one by the following day). A little underweight, but by then his appetite was back and he was drinking and eating chicken/rice. They gave him some Diagel and things slowed down for him.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, we were still on chicken and rice, but starting to mix in a little more puppy chow per day. Friday evening, however, we had another vomiting episode, accompanied by diarrhea.

Then Saturday morning, the frequent urination kicked in. He had only had 1 or 2 accidents in the house since he arrived, and now he was having them left and right, having to urinate as often as every 5 minutes at times. I suspected a UTI. Sunday was just as bad with the urination, but his vomiting and diarrhea seemed gone.

We collected a urine sample and took it to the vet yesterday morning. By 5pm, they had called and indicated a very very minor uptick in WBC. Prescribed Clavamox, and he's had 2 doses since. His urinating continues (we went in his crate overnight so much that he couldn't lie down, so he began howling at 2am. I awoke, let him out, changed his towel, let him back in the crate, and he went back to sleep. He had a dry crate at 6am, when I got up to take him for our walk). Surprisingly, he did not have a BM at all yesterday, but this morning, he did on our walk, and it was more solid than any I've seen in a few days.

His energy is good, he's playing, he's ravenous for food, drinking well. I made him some ground turkey and rice as we were temporarily out of chicken, and he ate that with gusto. Putting a few pieces of puppy chow in his bowl makes him VERY happy.

As for vaccinations, he had Heartgard and Frontline, and Duramune Max 5 at the shelter he first came from. The vet wanted to hold off on boosters during our visit last week, due to the diarrhea and vomiting.

I'll get an update on him a little later, but we're "hoping" it's just a UTI. This wasn't quite what we expected right out of the gate, given how healthy Holly was for her 15 years, but we're learning how to help this little guy!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Only had Moose 2 weeks, and already he's had a time!

Post by Cindy »

YIKES - that's not the best start for sure!! Hopefully you have things under control now and he'll be on the mend. We've adopted 5 dogs and the only one who didn't have the best start was Layla. She had a rotten tooth that needed to be removed. I know they do the best they can medically evaluating the dogs they place but sometimes things just happen that are unforeseen. Keep us posted.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

How is he today? I hope he continues to do well. I can't offer any suggestions, just good wishes.

fgump
Puppy

Post by fgump »

Well, I had hoped he was on the mend, but we seem to be in a holding pattern. I'm noticing that when he's urinating, he turns his head and tries to lick the area, and that his stream is not as strong as it was prior to the onset of this behavior. The urinalysis did not show any crystals, pH was 7.5, and nothing else was abnormal. The accidents he keeps having are very small puddles (3-4" diameter) with a dribble stream leading to them. On a 1.2 mile walk this morning he peed 3 times, each time just minimally.

We're almost halfway through this course of Clavamox, but if he doesn't respond fully by the end, it'll be back to the vet for more digging.

Note: he has NOT been neutered yet, and I've read that could contribute. He's just over 4 months old as best we can tell.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Hmm - if it's some kind of infection he needs antibiotics for then sometimes that can be tricky. See how this round goes and if there's still a problem then thy might need to test him to make sure he's getting the right antibiotic for whatever the infection is. This happened to one of our dogs when she had a urinary tract infection. Once we found the right med it cleared up. But she kept getting them so we started her on cranberry exact and raw cider vinegar. Sounds gross but she never had another UTI after that!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla