Shep and his Renal Failure

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Shep and his Renal Failure

Post by janet909 »

Hi everyone,
It's been a long time since I posted about our journey with Shep and his renal failure. I thought I'd give a quick update. He was diagnosed in August which was a previous post. Now it is May and my beloved Sheppy is still with us though, not unexpectedly, his renal function is worsening. His BUN and creatinine are 134 and 8.2 respectively. Those are really bad numbers. We are continuing with the renal diet and the medications which have certainly slowed the progression of his disease. He is losing weight and in fact, based on his most recent blood levels, is starting to have some muscle wasting. The crazy thing is: he continues to run, play and be interested in his surroundings. As long as he seems to be enjoying life to the fullest, we are content with continuing on our present path. He by no means seems to be in any pain though getting him to eat sometimes takes a little bit of encouragement as I think he has acid issues in his stomach (common with renal failure). He's my treasure and I am thankful for every day that we have together !!!!!

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Shep and his Renal Failure

Post by Cindy »

So great to hear from you and get an update about how Shep is doing. Guess many of our dogs that were young together are now entering the downward slope. Not easy and not fun but if the dogs keep on eating and running around, you have to appreciate each and every day. That's where we are with Kayla at least.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Shep and his Renal Failure

Post by StFrost »

Isn't great that dogs don't know what is going on with them? They live day to day, with no though on tomorrow. Something we should learn.