Torn paws, won't walk

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Torn paws, won't walk

Post by StFrost »

Well, we are dog sitting and thought a little hike would be good for this overweight behemoth. He went up fine, then about 1/4 of the way down, refused to go any further. Long story short, two other groups and I ended up carrying his 80 lbs the last 1+ miles.

After getting him to the car, we saw the pads were completely torn up from at least two each on the back, one on the front and all gone on the left front. I clipped off the torn skin, put on some bag balm initially, and then Neosporin, and wrapped all four with the self sticking no hurt wrap.

This morning, all look like they have stopped oozing except for the really damaged paw. He still refuses to walk though. Is there something else he hurt or is it the paws?
He can roll over fine, eats fine, drinks fine. But will not stand. He hasn't gone to the bathroom now since 2 PM yesterday, that's over 17 hours--that is actually my current worry.

THoughts?

Thanks.

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Torn paws, won't walk

Post by StFrost »

Well, we buckled under his puppy eyes and brought him to the vet tonight--but not before trying "second skin", spray analgesic, and Tramadol. After being coddled and wrapped, he finally walked on his own! YAY. At least now we know it was the feet and not anything else--A $300 piece of mind I guess.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

That's quite a hefty price to pay for being a nice person and pet sitting!! I guess it's a good lesson to learn ... if the dog is fat it's probably not getting regular exercise so watch out for their feet!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

YEah, it was a first for us. For now on, we do a paw check when sitting. He is walking and getting up on his own today, so I feel better and obviously he does too. Finally went to the bathroom on his own as well!!
After talking with his owner last night, I discovered he is also a drama queen. So he may not have been as hurt as he let on. Oh well.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

If such a thing should happen again - EMT Gel and wrap the feet in vet wrap. The pads are usually good to walk on in just 2 days.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

We did the vet wrap, but I will look up the gel and put it in my ever increasing dog first aid kit. THanks for the tip.