Recall...Nature's Variety Instinct Dog Food

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Recall...Nature's Variety Instinct Dog Food

Post by Barb Wright »

RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Bama Britt
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Recall...Nature's Variety Instinct Dog Food

Post by Bama Britt »

Barb - what are your thoughts on the large number of recalls lately, particularly the raw industry?

"Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. What puts man in a higher state of evolution is that he has got his laugh on the right end."
- Max Eastman

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Since you asked :wink: The dog food recalls for salmonella don't really cause me to be concerned for the dogs as those are mostly more of a warning to the humans that handle the food....almost all dogs aren't really that much affected by that particular bacteria since their digestive system is much shorter than ours and it would have to be a huge "load" to really bother them, wee puppies and really sick dogs nothwithstanding. That said, we don't know just how badly the food is contaminated, so why use it??

Continuing this subject with emphasis on the potential human affect....as the human handling the food you can get the bacteria on your hands, touch your eyes/nose/mouth (body openings), or even transfer it to inanimate objects such as counter top/utensils/etc., and that creates a possible transfer path to your digestive system. We all have salmonella in our digestive systems, it is just that the good bacteria keep it under control unless an imbalance is artificially created, such as ingesting an excess of the bad guys. Caveat: if you have compromised or weak/challenged immune system then you would be much more susceptible to illness from any bad bacteria ingested. Simply washing your hands after handling the dog food eliminates the likelihood of your getting afflicted. Another big step to avoiding/overcoming this problem is taking a probiotic (preferably in capsule form) every few days....this will go a long way toward keeping a nice bacteria balanced environment in your digestive system, and promote a healthy immune system to boot. True for people and dogs.

The Listeria recalls are another matter as my understanding is that that is a particularly nasty bacteria even for dogs. Those foods I would not use.

So, what it boils down to for me is whatever dog food I am handling, raw or processed, (recalled or not), I wash my hands before, and especially after handling it, including cleaning under fingernails. All utensils are also thoroughly washed. In fact, when a person returns home from any shopping expedition or where you have been that other people have touched the same things you have, to include money, you should thoroughly wash your hands before you do anything else. All fruits and vegetables, even those you will peel, should be washed before preparing. Even though you are going to cook it, rinse all meats before handling. and wash your hands especially after handling. Most bacteria get on the produce/product during the "producer-to-buyer" procedure, and especially in the case of meats, the contamination almost always/usually occurs at the plant/factory where the meat is processed....think abattoir to packaging, then you are next in line for contamination.

Pretty much a condensed version of my "thoughts" :lol:

P.S. These contamination issues are equally abundant in the human food production chain as well.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

YIKES!!! Very interesting but kind of scary too. Thanks for the info!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Bama Britt
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Bama Britt »

Sorry to post a question and then disappear, but as always thanks for your insight Barb. I really consider myself very careful when handling as I think raw is gross, but know it's good for my Ginger. I even use gloves when handling raw meat for my own meals. Do you think the FDA is targeting the raw industry at all? Not sure what the reason would be, but the recalls hit close to home for me and got me nervous. Except for the sell by dates not being exact, I've had to return both Nature's Variety and Stella and Chewys recently. I'm lucky I've got a great local store where I buy Gingers raw food. They even called me first thing the morning after the NV recall came out to let me know...I literally was getting my stuff together to take it back to them when they called.

Jenny and Ginger

"Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. What puts man in a higher state of evolution is that he has got his laugh on the right end."
- Max Eastman

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Bama Britt wrote:... Do you think the FDA is targeting the raw industry at all? Not sure what the reason would be...
Yes, definitely, but more so in human food production. But that pressure is actually originating with, and being brought on by big business, such as agriculture (to include factory animal farms) and chemical/pharmaceutical producers. The FDA tends to over-look harmful practices with the giants in the businesses and make operating a small scale business, such as organic farm meat and food production, expensive and includes harassment. With human food production this is well documented and on going. The reason....money.

As far a the dog food industry is concerned, I am sure there is a lot of pressure exerted there by the "big boys" like Purina and Hills to name a couple. If you recall back a few years, when feeding dogs a more species appropriate diet (raw, or at least home-prepared foregoing grains) came to the attention of pet owners, it wasn't long before the big dog food producers jumped on the band wagon and began advertising their food as "all natural" with lots of pretty pictures on the food bags of fruits, vegetables, and even a few meat chunks. Actually, the ingredients hadn't changed much, still loaded with grains and carbs not normal to a carnivore diet. Since then they, the "big boys", have actually come out with grain free foods, but you are still looking at an ingredient list of poor quality food sources and still lots of synthetics (vitamin supplementation). There are some smaller dog food producers that are doing a good job of creating a quality diet....you have to get good at reading ingredient lists and pay more for quality "convenience" foods already prepared for you. There is a lot more to be said on this subject, but needless to mention, the dollar influences almost all of what happens in the food industry, both human and animal.

You certainly are doing as much as possible to limit bad bacteria getting into your feeding program. The situation is not going to improve in either genre while big business governs our lives and a complicit Federal government continues to chip away at our choices. It is what it is, and the best we can do is the best we can do. It does behoove us to try to do business with companies that research has proven to be reputable, even though there is usually a bit more expense...nothing is more important than our health. Think buying local and doing as much home food preparation as possible. I know lives can get really hectic and busy, but some issues, like our food and our health, are unquestionably worth the effort of special attention.

Bama Britt
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Bama Britt »

Goodness, you do what you believe is right for your pups and big business and money almost ruin it. Well, Ginger is still doing good on the NV raw...we're just staying away from chicken sourced for awhile. Thanks for all your input Barb!

- Max Eastman