Mucinous Adenocarcinoma

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Mucinous Adenocarcinoma

Post by kat »

Has anyone else dealt with this with their dog? Copper had surgery at the end of Sept to remove a mass in his intestine, the pathology came back as Mucinous Adenocarcinoma. The oncologist told us it's not so common and not so nice, it will be back. It will come back likely in his stomach lining and will be painful. Chemo is not so effective on this type of cancer and he would not enjoy it, so that is not an option at all. The surgery bought him two months. We are giving him Peroxicam, an INSAID, that can help keep him comfortable and may make his body a little less hospitable for the cancer - maybe we can buy hm another couple of months. We also have to keep pain meds (Tramadol) on hand. Of course a dog as perfect as he has been will not be allowed to live in pain. So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with their dog and has any advice or suggestions.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Mucinous Adenocarcinoma

Post by Cindy »

So so sorry to hear this Kat. I have not had any experience with this type of cancer (luckily). Our first Brittany/Springer cross had cancer and we elected to do surgery which was the only option. We were told it might buy her 6 months but we got almost a year and it was a good year at that. So just hoping Copper has some more good days ahead of him.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Oh Kat, sorry to hear about Copper. In past years I had cases of one anal and one rectal cancer....both males, both had surgeries once, then when it returned let them go (PTS). Wish I had some positive news, but not so with this type of cancer...so very nasty. Your plan to keep him comfortable for as long as possible is about all you can do. Thoughts and prayers are with you and Copper for as long as you are able to keep life a happy place for him.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

I can't offer any advice or helpful information... just wanted to send a hug.
I remember back when Copper became a part of your life... such a great story!
Keeping you both in my prayers.

Marge