Zach's diet and a muscle-building plan?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Zach's diet and a muscle-building plan?

Post by Karen_P »

Zachie did it! He's finally at an ideal weight for his age and size. It was a very long haul....8 months of dieting and a total loss of around 10 pounds, but now I feel so much better knowing I'm not contributing to heart or joint disease! A couple of weeks ago I switched him off the less active food onto regular (everyone eats the same food! woo hoo!) but kept his portion a mere 1/2 cup twice a day and am hoping to get him to the vet this week for a weigh-in.

I'd like to try increasing his food by a 1/4 cup a day to see if his system can handle it without weight gain. How long should I wait before taking him back to the vet to be weighed?

He's not what I would term "in shape" though. He's still pretty sedintary and without a lot of muscle tone. He won't chase a ball, he doesn't play with other dogs, and his favorite activities are sleeping and cuddling. He rarely really runs around the yard, except to go bark at something, but I am hoping to hunt with him this season, and I don't have a clue how to condition him. I spoke to the trainer about roading him, but he said that really builds the wrong muscles. Pulling muscles and running muscles are different.

It's way too hot to run him (it was 80 and extremely humid this morning when I got out of bed), and he had a seizure after the fun trial last weekend, probably from the heat. And it hasn't even been cooling down at night here. Any ideas?
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Way to go Zach . I would say the obvious to you , but the seizure meds are making him mope .I'm not smart enough in Pharmacology to help that :? I believe Kathy might be . Anyway does he swim ? Swimming is about the best exercise going and it also help solve the heat problem.A person hates to force them , but if he does kinda like it that's what I'd do . See if there is a vet clinic that uses hydro Threapy say for doing therapy for horses or dogs . I guess that might be an advantage to living in a more populous area , these things are available . Hope this helps , give those boys a big pet for me 8) Dave

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Thanks Dave. I hadn't even thought of that. I'm not sure if he swims or not to be honest. Last weekend he did plop his butt into a stream to cool down, so I don't think he's adverse to getting wet, as long as it has nothing to do with the hose or the bath tub and shampoo. There used to be dirt bike trails through the woods behind my parents' house to a nice-sized pond. Maybe I'll stop over and see if the trails are still there.

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Karen,
Does Zach have a history of seizures? My Duke does have mild epilepsy, for which he takes 15 mg phenobarbital twice a day. Duke will probably have one seizure a year (usually if we forget to give him his doses, rarely happens.)

-Kathy

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Yes, Zach had his first seizure with us 10 days after we adopted him (he just knew the check was in the mail!), and then had another within the week, so he was started on Phenobarbital. We've played with the dose significantly over the last 3 yrs, and it seems that 1 pill a day is the right one. He still has a few of seizures a year, but nothing severe and certainly nothing we can't manage.