Eating Clay

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Beth Bair
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Eating Clay

Post by Beth Bair »

Can eating clay hurt my dog? I live in Charleston SC and bought a few acres that has a lot of clay and my female dog, Daisy is eating a lot of clay. After she started the otherdogs started eating it also, but not near as much as she does. She eats Prescriptions U/D (she has urinary problems) and the others eat Inovva. Is she not getting the nurishment she needs or something? And what harm is it doing to her body? She has a bowel movement normally well, as normal as it can be with all that clay. :?: :shock:

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Beth: Is Daisy on meds too for the urinary probs? Does she get any supplements or is the Prescription U/D all she gets to eat? What are the urinary problems? Is it something that can be cured eventually? What does your vet say about the clay. Most vets know little about nutrition, but s/he should know about the impact of the clay on the digestive system and whether the quantity she is ingesting is doing or will do harm.

Sorry, just questions instead of answers :cry: I would say off hand that if she is eating enough clay to show up in her stool every day that might be too much...think I might be worried about impaction somewhere down the line. If it looks the same coming out as it did going in then she probably isn't getting much out of it in the way of nutrients either.

Generally speaking, weird food obsessions usually mean they are looking for some nutrient....and sometimes you can do supplements up the gazoo and they still seek the weird stuff. If she is on a bland prescription diet it probably is missing a lot of varied nutrients that dogs need and seek.

One other thought...have you seen a holistic vet about the urinary problems? They usually have some really good ideas about treating the disease and supporting the whole body nutritionally during treatment, and thereafter to keep the affliction from returning, or at least held at bay.

Hope someone else here on the board has some ideas and/or experiences with this to help you decide what to do. There is a reason, and there is an answer....some more input from you may trigger some ideas from everybody.

Beth Bair
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Beth Bair »

She was urinating while sleeping and constantly having to go when we were out on walks. Test show crystals in her urine, so we treated that. Then for a while things were better. Then she started the constant urinating again but not while sleeping. Test showed either high or low ph, I can't remember. So, they put her on the prescription diet. No, the only other supplements that I give her are fish oil and garlic for her coat. All my other dogs eat it also even the once that I dog sit for. It's like they see Daisy doing it so they do it. But, she eats the most. I haven't talked to the vet about it yest, because I too agree that they aren't up on all the nutrition that's why I wanted to arm myself with info before going. Daisy has also been none to eat rocks. I have the x-ray that showed a belly full. After mineral oil for a few days the next x-ray was clear. I thought about putting a little mineral oil in her food just to keep things flowing. :? I would say that we are working to get the clay off our property, but that will take some time. Pulling off a few layers and then putting in new soil so that grass can grow, because weeds aren't even breaking through. Any ideas would be great..... And I will also search the area for a Holistic vet.