Another Obese Brittany ... ( BACK FOR NEWCOMERS)

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Another Obese Brittany ... ( BACK FOR NEWCOMERS)

Post by Dave »

Of course unless their is a metabolic reason it come down to overfeeding due to people not knowing better . I think I'm going to inject a suggestion into the paperwork of adopting that tells about feeding Brittanys :o .
Anway I might be getting a 3 year old female Brittany that is way overweight :? With the heat of summer and obvious lack of muscle tone I'm going to have to tread lightly . I'm going to follow advice from earlier posts and get her buzzed to help keep her cool . Any other advice would be appreciated . Thanks, Dave 8)
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

Hi Dave.

Do not forget my self-invented reason for Rosie gaining alot of weight when she came to us. I misread the scope instructions and was giving her almost 4 cups a day :shock: instead of 2. People kept say "Boy Rosie is getting fat". Now for the past 6-8 months, shes been getting 2 cups a day (we also switched and feed her twice a day (1 cup/time) instead of 2 cups at once. Shes lost a few pounds gradually and looks pretty fit again - she still has a few to go but no one notices.

Her summer cut has also helped her stay cool - 95 degrees and 90% humidity here in New Orleans makes for a heat index of 105 or so. :oops: She loves to drink from a squirt bottle so on our walks - she gets plenty of water which helps.
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I was told by my vet a long time ago that I was killing my Brittany with kindness :roll: I was free feeding her and just kept the bowl full . What a mistake :o :lol: She started looking like a blimp . :wink: Two times a day feeding works well . If I get this dog , I'll have to decrease slowly and increase her activity level slowly . One advantage is being 3 years old . She should turn around fairly quick . 8) Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Ya know, with the 3 fosters I've adopted out so far, I include very specific feeding instructions for the food they are currently on, as well as a small bag of that food. I also tell the new owners to only use the feeding guides on the bags as very rough guidelines. I also try to emphasize not to free freed, as the fosters I've had so far would eat until they popped! Not only do scheduled feedings help keep the dog at a good weight, they also provide excellent training opportunities! I try to explain the hazards of overweight dogs, and how thin dogs are not a bad thing.

When people see Britty, they usually comment on how thin she is...she's a very lean 35 lbs, and just perfect, but people are so used to seeing overweight dogs that dogs at a good weight seem too skinny! I usually send a printout of this article home with new owners as well, to help them determine their dog's body condition.... http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=661
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Well the 3 year old girl Brittany is coming to me this weekend . She weighs 94 lbs !!The shelter said she is overweight , I guess they aren't kidding :roll: . It looks like we have a lot of work ahead of us . I guess we can work this out together , I need to get into shape for hunting :lol: 8) Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

HOLY COW!!!! I just don't understand how people can let their dogs get sooooo overweight! At that weight, it's almost cruel to the dog.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

94 lbs! :shock: Wonder how slim 'n trim the previous owners are? The good news is that she's still young, so by working off her weight, she can probably reverse or minimize any potential health problems related to age.

Gosh, it'll probably take a year for her to lose 30 lbs?
-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I've seen big Brittanys , but at that weight she will have to lose half her body weight :o She has a pretty face and the guy that's fostering her now says she like to fetch and swim , so at least she has the desire to be active . I know there is an active young dog in there and we'll help her :) I'm glad she made it to ABR . 8) Dave

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Well I got this dog and she is huge :o They said she was three , but I think 4-5 . I can't pick her up to weigh her :shock: She was standing by Frannie and Levi and is bigger than the two put together . I'm having my vet check her thyroid etc . on wednesday . She looks like an old English Sheepdog with a Brittany head :roll: If it wasn't so serious I'd laugh . I wonder how much weight and how fast I can get her down ? I've never had a severely obese dog before .

Karen , what about that heavy foster dog you were talking about awhile ago . How much did he weigh and what become of him ? 8) Dave

Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Brenda Dom »

Dave wrote:I wonder how much weight and how fast I can get her down ? I've never had a severely obese dog before .
Talk to your vet on Wednesday, Dave. I think increasing her activity and taking her food down s-l-o-w-l-y is probably best. Sometimes taking food rations down too quickly only makes their metabolism slow down even more. They sort of go into "survival mode." Increasing her activity will help her build muscles and muscle burn fat.

Do you know anything about her background? Is she tall as well as heavy? 94 pounds. Wow! I can't even imagine a 94-pound Brittany. I saw a 65-pounder once and he looked like the goodyear blimp with a tiny head on top, and he was at least 23-24" tall.

Thinking here as I go... On second thought, I think I'd have her thoroughly checked out before I tried anything too strenuous with her. I don't have any experience with severely obese dogs, either, and I'm wondering if obese dogs suffer cardiovascular problems as many obese humans do.

I'm glad she landed with you. I know you'll fuss over her until she's back in shape.

What is her name, anyway? AND what do Levi and Frannie think of her?

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Here is a picture . She is tall and her head is big because I think because she is so heavy . Her name is Molly . The shelter had her checked for a fatty tumor about the size of an orange at the bottom of her belly . They think it's a fatty tumor though and when I get her weight down I'm having it removed . She is taller than my male Levi , but Levi is Breed standard .

[/img]Image 8) Dave
Last edited by Dave on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisT
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by ChrisT »

We adopted a seriously over weight dog several years ago. It took a year to get her weight down and it was a real struggle. At first the vet put her on a special prescription diet and we were very strick on only feeding the amount he said. Never let the bowl remain on the floor if she had not finished it in 15 minutes etc. She actually kept gaining weight. :shock:

Poor thing didn't over eat really, she had a thyroid problem we finally discovered after he ran some test's. She wasn't nearly as over weight as your Foster, so it could take a very long time and even when you get the weight off, you may have to maintain her diet the same as though she were still over weight.

ChrisT
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by ChrisT »

Dave wrote:Here is a picture . She is tall and her head is big because I think because she is so heavy .

[/img]Image 8) Dave
OH! Poor girl...she must be miserable carrying all that weight on her small frame! :(

Increasing fiber or water intake may sometimes help also.

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Dave, Lucky was a 35 pound dog in a 70 pound body. He was quite active but also quite out of control, and because my son would be at home with him alone, I swapped him with Blaze's breeder's foster dog, who was petite and well trained.

He's already dropped a bit of weight from what Doc tells me. Exercise and a very strict diet, but he's only 2 yrs old, so I would expect him to drop weight pretty quickly.

Now, you know I had the same problem with Zach and have been fighting it for years. I was feeding him Purina ONE less active, and he very slowly dropped weight, and then switched him onto Flint River Ranch Senior, same portion (1/2 cup twice a day), and he gained weight.

I put him back onto Purina ONE Less Active, and he started loosing weight again. I just recently put him on the normal Purina One for Adults, and he's maintaining his weight nicely on it...still gets 1/2 cup twice a day, which I wet down a little so it expands faster in his belly, but he's maintaining finally. So if you find she's not loosing weight on one food, and you can't cut the food back any further, switch her to something different.

Definitely get her thyroid checked. It's an inexpensive test and will give you some peice of mind. You may also want to have the tumor biopsied to make sure it really is just a fatty tumor.

Because of how grossly overweight the poor girl is, I think I'd cut her back almost immediately, feed her twice a day, add some canned pumpkin or green beans to her food as a filler, pick up some multi vitamins like Pet Tabs Plus (for seniors) and give her one with each meal, and then ease off the fillers over a couple of weeks so she gets used to eating less.

Levi should help keep her active as she looses the weight, and if not, you'll need to take her for walks a couple times a day to help keep her metabolism from crashing.

Something else I've noticed with Zach's weight loss that I find amazing. His coat quality has improved dramatically. When I adopted him, he had a nice, shiny, flat coat. As time went on, his coat quality deteriorated. He had cowlicks all over the place and a very thick, wavy coat. I kept him shaved most of the time because his coat made him look 10 pounds heavier and it was just unruly.

Well, he's really at a nice weight now and all of a sudden, the original shiny, flat coat is growing back! Maybe it was the switch back to the regular adult food, maybe because he's smaller, his body is using the nutrients from the food better...not sure, but he looks great! This is something I'm just noticing as his last shave job grows out (from maybe a month ago), but I'm thrilled! I'm going to let it continue to grow out and see what we get.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I'd be happy to get her to 70 lbs . She doesn't want to play with Levi and warns him off . Levi backs off pretty fast , I think he is intimidated by her size . :roll: :lol: This dog can hop up on my bed and jumps in my van , although in the side door . If anybody has anymore suggestions jump in . Thanks Karen and Brenda , this will be an adventure . 8) Dave