Rimadyl!!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Rimadyl!!

Post by youjach »

My vet gave our Maggie rimadyl on Friday after I was telling him about how she is stiff when she starts walking-- so he prescribed Rimadyl. I really didn't educate myself on it until this weekend. I did give her the pills on Friday and Saturday but then stopped after reading the adverse effects. I also read that liver and kideny test should be done before prescribing this and they weren't.

I also was told that she might have cushings disease because of urine leakage but to put her on antibotics for 10 days to see if it is an infection. We had a bad visit w/ her on Friday-- am asked about a tithers test and he told me they do not do that kind of testing they do others. I asked if they could draw blood and I could send it to another place that would run the test he said no. I left the vets office feeling I spent $103 and had no evaluation of Maggs. I called when I got home and spoke to the office manager and he said he would speak w/ the vet and owner about my visit.

Now today I am giving this Rimadyl back to them. and then I am going to ask nicely to have her brought in for a propper evaluation at no charge since I already paid and have not received one. I have been going here for 12 yrs--

why on earth would he give me rimadyl for her why? and me for giving it to her and reading about it first? I am so mad at myself.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I wouldn't beat yourself up on this . You are trying to do what's best for Maggie . Unfortunately as these Brittanys get old they have a lot of the same things that go wrong with us . :( Rimadyl can do wonders although the side effects can be as bad as the disease causing them . I am on some meds that a normal person wouldn't really consider especially after reading the side effects and warnings . I would give her an aspirin a day or cut one in half and give half morning and evening to begin with . You could even try the childrens dose first . We have gone over Arthritis quite a bit on the discussion board , I would check out our previous posts . Barb put a ton of very useful reference sites . I would have used Rimadyl on my old Amber the last couple months I had her if it would have worked . A little stiff compared to not being able to squat to pee or my having to lift her in and out of the car or pick her up and carry her while we went for a walk . Well you get the picture .

I'm not defending your vet or a rush job that you got , but sometimes the medicine is worth it . I would say in this case , not . Explore other possibilities , maybe even acupressure or acupunture , they do work JMHO . 8) Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Ya know, I've done a lot of research on Rimadyl, spoken with lots of people in the vet medicine field, and decided that for Britty, it's my best option when she's really in pain from her hips. I insisted on blood tests before starting, and I have her tested every year to monitor her kidneys and liver. She is not on it constantly, so I'm not as concerned about the effects on her. She averages maybe one dose a week in the summer...after hard playing, and probably three or four doses a week in the winter. At this point, 30 pills last her about 6 months (she takes half a pill per dose).

Any drug you give can have side effects, some can be severe, but the most responsible thing you can do is to educate yourself on those side effects, keep up with blood work, and make the best decision you can for your dog. I'm not gonna say that Rimadyl has gotten a bad rap, as it can have severe side effects, but I do think that some of the deaths attributed to it were not solely due to the drug.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Lisa wrote:
Any drug you give can have side effects, some can be severe, but the most responsible thing you can do is to educate yourself on those side effects, keep up with blood work, and make the best decision you can for your dog......
Lisa put it in a nutshell, the only addition to her statement I would add is, severe as in *fatal* :x Also, when the death totals are up in the thousands from confirmed reports, that gives it a permanent spot in the "deadly" category. My take on Rimadyl is it hasn't gotten a "bad" rap, it's gotten a TRUE rap. It is a very dangerous NSAID for some dogs and therein lies the trap....knowing what to look for, constant monitoring, being "educated", those are the keys to using any drug with known deadly side effects without damaging or killing your dog. IMO these potent and dangerous drugs should be last resort choices, when all else has failed. There are analgesics available that will relieve pain and discomfort without deadly results....though even these are not necessarily benign for SOME dogs :cry: Which brings us back to the original premise....educate, test, monitor, as if a life depended upon it :!:

Now, dealing with vets....hmmm, well, lets just say you shouldn't have to "deal" with s/him. You are the client, you are paying for service and advice, and in the end you are the ultimate advocate for your dog, which means you need ALL the information (explained in detail and laymans terms where necessary) to make the proper decisions. You should be getting copies of all lab work, and a "report card" of what was done to your dog, what the exam and test results are, what they recommend you do, drugs prescribed, what to expect from the drugs, both good and bad (a Client Information Sheet should be provided with any drugs you get directly from the vet), and so on. In other words, you are fully informed to the extent possible from them, and you also have material to work with to do further research if you wish to. This is all assuming you have time on your side....if it's a life/death event in play, then they pretty much have to make the call and you pray it is the right one :cry:

Quoting youjach...."(1)but to put her on antibotics for 10 days to see if it is an infection.... (2)asked about a tithers test and he told me they do not do that kind of testing they do others......(3)I asked if they could draw blood and I could send it to another place that would run the test he said no.....".

(1) This is "scattergun" medical practice...sorry, but that is a fact. The proper method is to test for the type of infection and treat with the appropriate antibiotic for that bacterium.

(2) Am curious as to what the "other" testing they do that achieves the same result as a titer.

(3) From this remark one would assume they have a FULL SERVICE blood testing lab, OR maybe they just really aren't interested in second opinions. Of course, YOU would not be sending the blood to another place, they would do this so that the blood is handled properly all the way from them to the lab. I would certainly get an answer as to why they won't do this...it is not an unusual request. I find it hard to believe that they are not set up to send blood out to wherever necessary to get the needed complete information.

Stick to your guns, Youjach.....you have been their client for 12 years, I would say that counts for a lot and they should certainly be willing to expend a little extra effort to accommodate your requests, which are reasonable :!:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Gotta add my two cents worth, I've been in a similar situation. We went thru the "it might be Cushings" twice, never was and I knew it but tested for it anyways. We also did the 10 days of antibiotics just in case, that didn't help. I stopped at doing a biopsy, I wouldn't do that on what was already an old dog. What we DID know, was that her liver #'s were way too high, and the vet would NEVER give her NSAIDs under those circumstances. In fact, we were fortunate that pain was never an issue for her, because there wasn't anything she could take and live on at the time. Now I have another elderly dog with pain issues who take a med called Tramidol. It's new and the vet said they would have even been able to give it to Winnie had she needed it before she died. This all said, another discussion with the vet ended up with the agreement between both of us that most likely any new meds will eventually show similar side effects, they're just too new yet to have the same statistics as Rymadyl and the others. Do your research, we would have given Winnie pain meds in the end if she needed it, even knowing they would kill her, the other option would have been euthanasia to end her misery anyway. My vet doesn't do tithers either, he says no one really knows the right levels for prevention, it's all guessing. Make the best decision for Maggie that you can, and go with it. Don't be afraid to argue, my vet and I have had some great "discussions" on treatments! Let us know what happens.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

Maggie will soon be 12 in Sept-- she is suffering from stiffness and can't jump on the beds but she does run in the yard w/ shafer, she is constantly in the pool doing her laps, she is happy and still wagging her tail and also has been eating very well.

I am upset that just giving her rimadyl and not evaluating her- not doing any testing. Just ASSUMING she is old and in alot of pain and giving her this pill will make her feel better and make me feel better. I live in a town that looks threw blinders. we aren't up to date on alot of medical issues or other issue human or animals.

I am going to do more research- and maybe once in awhile will help her with her stiffness and if she is on her last dog days I would make er as comfy as possible but honestly except for the stiffness she runs and plays at times.

She has stopped leaking urine-- it could have been an infection . and the only test they did was a urine protien test.

They send out their bloodwork, I know that much because last yr. we had the heartworm done and they told me byt the time they send it out and get results it would be 3- 4 days.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Just something you might consider for Maggie, if she seems to be having joint trouble, is supplementing with Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I think that's had the biggest effect on keeping Britty's pain at a low level. I personally like Restor-A-Flex by Fort Dodge, and order it from www.entirelypets.com
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

That's a good idea, it reminded me of something else. My holistic vet recommended MSN for my Bichon. I buy the powder at Vitamin cottage and sprinkle it on his food. He rarely gets a pain pill anymore, it has really seemed to make a difference. Wouldn't have a clue how much to give a bigger dog, he weighs 11 lbs and gets 250 - 500 mg a day. Something else to ask your vet about maybe, it can go along with the Glucosamine.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

You might also want to try CortaFlx for the stiffness. I buy the powdered stuff for horses and only sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon on Casey's food once/day. There's a loading dose that you give for about 2 weeks, but after that it's only 1/4 tsp. Has worked wonders on her.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Glucosomine

Post by plkoslov »

I don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you are, but their glucosomine/chondroitin combo has really kept my 14 1/2 year old Malone going strong. He is stiff when he first gets up, but after moving around a little, you would never guess him that old! (of course, all the veggies he has gotten throughout his life might be part of it!) He LOVES his baby carrots. :D