My Moomers is Hunger Striking

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

My Moomers is Hunger Striking

Post by Carol »

Is it the war in Iraq? Is he protesting the high cost of gas or religious intolerance? Why is my Boomer not eating?

I should take that back, he will eat, if I hold the bowl for him. This all started over the weekend. Last Thursday he threw up his food, which wasn't even digested, ever since then he's had this strike going.

We feed him and the other two dogs in their crates twice a day, same time. Now all of the sudden Boomer doesn't want to eat his food in his crate; the only way he'll eat is if I hold his food dish.

I haven't changed his food, or the amount he's eating so I have absolutely no clue as to what's going on. I tried proping his food up a bit higher, thinking that it might help, but it hasn't.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking that if this doesn't improve he's going to have to go to the vet.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Carol
Kiss my nose, you know you want to.

Check out my blog at www.fugitivefromthedogstar.blogspot.com

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Carol: Most important here, is he drinking water? Throwing up and then not eating are not good signs, but if he eats if you feed him by hand and doesn't throw that up I'd say you are being manipulated for special attention :roll: Try adding some "drippings" (tuna juice, liquified cottage cheese, a raw beaten egg, canned dog food, gloppy hamburger, etc.) see if that entices him.

He may need a change of diet....try another brand of quality dog food, see if that makes a difference.

Some dogs will instinctively seek a weight level, perhaps that is in play here. They can go a long time without food and WILL eat when finally hungry IF NOTHING IS ACTUALLY WRONG. The most critical thing is to make sure he is drinking water and not dehydrating. You can check this by lifting the skin between his shoulder blades away from the body, then dropping it. The skin should SNAP back into place, if it CRAWLS back he is definitely dehydrating and YOU NEED TO GET TO THE VET.

Keep us in the loop on what happens.....
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

This may sound silly, but I think sometimes, the dog associates being sick with the food. The one time Britty got really ill and barfed up all the food she'd just eaten, she wouldn't touch her food again for a few days unless I hand fed it to her. I finally decided to try mixing in canned food...she ate the canned food, left the dry. Then I had some samples of a different type of dry food...she ate those just fine. I switched her to a different type of food for a few days, and she ate fine. Slowly switched her back to her old food and she was back to eating it.

I'd say, if your dog is drinking normally and acting normally otherwise, maybe try switching foods for a few days. If anything else is out of the ordinary, though...time for a trip to the vet.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

Boomer is drinking normal and acting just a wacky as ever (except for the whole eating thing.) I'm going to give him some extra yummy drippings from something. He likes peaches, maybe some peaches would be nice. Hopefully that will work because I really don't have time in the mornings to hold his food dish while he plays King of Sheba and eats. :roll: :lol:

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hmmmm....something MEATY would be a little more appropriate than carbs :) And, it would seem like a good idea to change to another brand with a different meat source than the one you have been using. Dogs like variety in their diet just like we do :)

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

Barb, I was always under the assumption that it's not good to switch the dogs food around. If we switch his food, should we slowly incorporate it? Right now he's on Canidade regular.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

It is the dog food MANUFACTURERS that don't want you to switch brands :x You are feeding a pretty good food, but you should still incorporate variety by going to other quality foods from time to time, usually bag to bag, brand to brand.

When switching over just begin adding the new food in small amounts to the old food, increasing daily over a 4-5 day period until you are entirely on the new food. 1/4 cup substitution, then 1/2 and so on til you have made the complete switch. Dogs that are used to variety usually just go direct to the new food. Also, dogs that have a lot of small "goody" additions to their diets daily make the switch very easily.

Each commercial dog food has a little different list of ingredients and so this allows you to maybe cover a base the one dog food might have been missing....and dogs really do need variety diets as this is as good a way as any to preclude food allergies.

Give it a try, I bet your dogs, especially Boomer will be very happy :)

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

I have to agree with Barb. My Max is not the greatest eater. He often skips meals, especially if I am not home at meal time (but still manages to maintain his 35lb weight). He regularly eats Canidae dry food, but I switch it up with other super premiums to keep him interested. I usually just buy a 5lb bag and mix it in with his Canidae. I also buy canned Canidae or Merrick to mix in from time to time. He has had no problem adjusting to the different foods.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I had a whole host of questions , but decided to keep it simple . Try using an elevated dog dish . My big male Pax had a problem eating off the floor level and would cough and choke etc . The reason I'm thinking an elevated dish would help is the fact that he eats while holding tis dish or hand feeding him . I've found over 15 years and 5 Brittanys a barometer of the their health and mood is eating . Brittanys are chow hounds :roll: :lol:

Seriously though if he doesn't perk up with the suggested things, take him to the vet . 8) Dave

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

I agree with Barb. I rarely buy two bags in a row of the same brand/flavor. I also add in lots of healthful extras--eggs, cottage cheese, mackeral, yogurt, bits of whatever meat we're having, etc. I pretty much switch kibble "cold turkey", and it never bothers my two at all.

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

I'm thinking my moomers is over his hunger strike. I suppose he didn't like being a pacifist after all. LOL!!!

He's back to eating normally - the big dork!