This is gross!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

This is gross!

Post by plkoslov »

I know there has been a lot of discussion about Brits eating just about anything and everything, but I cannot get my old guy to stop eating poop! I think the problem is I give him and my 3-yr-old Lab lots of veggies, and I'll bet they "pass through" somewhat undigested, thereby making poop seem like an enticing treat. It's truly disgusting when he comes in from foraging outside. I'm neurotic about keeping it picked up, but he always seems to find some that I missed! I guess my question is: Will this ultimately hurt him or should I relax and let him be a dog? :?

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

I've got 2 poop eaters and I've been assured that I really have 4 poop eaters...just haven't caught the other 2 at it yet :lol:

This is a pretty normal doggie behavior and can make brittany kisses disgusting, but as long as your dogs are healthy and worm-free, I don't think it'll hurt them.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Check out baaad habits under behaviour . We covered it well there . Levi eats a lot of poop and I've gone about crazy trying to stop him . The worst part is when he burps after eating poop :x 8) Dave

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Buster is a poop-eater as well...he'll poop and turn right around to eat it! Sooo gross. The absolute worst is when he comes in, gives a doggie grin and I see it in his teeth!! I've taken to giving milkbones as soon as he comes in, just to get some of it out of his teeth....bonus to that is that he's learning to come in when I tell him too since he gets a treat.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

:shock: Gee, I must be lucky because neither Duke nor Hunter eat his poop. And Herman didn't either. But then if it's rabbit poop ... yummie!

-Kathy

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

I must add a yuck to this to. Rosie used to be terrible about eating or attempting to eat a pile of anything in site. She has gotten out of the habit though from constant correction and also early on from us being the "quicker picker upper". We would almost stand behind her with the scooper while she was going to keep her from eating it. Remember - Rosie celebrates her movements by racing and circling around for a few minutes before squatting so we had plenty time to position ourselves :lol: . Now we dont have to set up - we do the treat thing afterwards and she races to the door for that instead of the pile.
Josh (rescued Oct 07), Rosie (rescued Nov 03), and Haley (rescued Oct 07)

juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by juliette »

Two out of my three Brits eat poo - they are also the same ones who will drink ANYTHING in a cup if they can get to it, including so far: vinegar, wine, beer, cranberry juice, coffee with milk and sugar, and orange juice! Toby, apparently is the only one with any sense of discrimination about what he will put in his mouth.

With drinks, we just have to be very careful about what is left out on a table low enough for them to reach, but for the poo we haven't had much luck. We have tried the Deter tablets and they won't eat it then, but as soon as you stop putting the tablets in their food, they go right back to snacking... :roll:

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

My old girl ate poo all her life. In fact, it wasn't until after she died (at a very old age) that I started having to pick up any poo from my little Bichon! She did have to have her teeth cleaned every 2-3 years, I chalked it up to my lack of consistent brushing and the poo. Nothing we ever tried stopped her. The last some years of her life, she had very high liver #'s, and she eventually died of complete kidney failure. Could either of those have been exacerbated by the poo? I often wonder that. The worst, however, was in the mornings when she would follow the Golden as he pooped so she could get it fresh and warm! Yuck!!!!!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Ok, I gotta ask: Do the majority of Brits eat poo? Or are we just getting a bias of owners of "poo-consumers"?

-Kathy

Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Brenda Dom »

None of mine do, and to the best of my recollection none ever have.

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

It's very weird. I've never seen Courage or Zach eat poo. I've had Courage since he was 9 weeks old, Zach since he was 4 yrs old.

Blaze and Tessa are horrendous poo eaters...2 different breeders, both keep impeccable kennels and whelping boxes, but they both started this as soon as I got them home.

I wonder if it has something to do with bringing puppies into multiple dog households. It's the only difference I can come up with between Courage and Blaze and Tess.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Britty would never think of touching poo...she goes out of her way to walk around bird poop on the patio. She's very dainty. Of course, that could be the Border Collie in her!

Actually, Buster is only the second of 6 fosters that will eat poo. The other foster, Cooper, would only eat it if it was frozen solid (I had him as a foster in December/January). When we had a hard freeze for several days, I had to watch Coop, when it warmed up and the poo was "mushy," he wouldn't touch it. Guess he just liked poop-cicles. Buster will put just about anything in his mouth. He'll drink anything liquid (up to and including a neighbor's Jack and Coke), and will eat anything. We really need to work harder on his leave it.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Jacksbuddy »

It's nice to see everyone comming out of the closet on this one. :lol:
And yes I have caught Jack eating poop. I am not too happy about it especially when he wants to kiss and make up after I yell at him for doing it.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Every dog I've had loves "poopsicles" ... not their own, but from our horses! Not sure what's more disgusting???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

Hello my name is Anita and I have a poopeater named Shafer!! LOL

Maggie never ever ate her own poop UNTIL Shafer came to live w/ us!!
now I have on occasion I see her nibbling. we have tried everything- we try to clean it up when we see it but at night we are too tired and we don't know when our girls let them outside so we miss those too.

Shafer hasn't been as bad - the burping has stopped thankfully because oh those burps made you gag!