Seizure

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Betty L.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Seizure

Post by Betty L. »

I had quite a scare yesterday evening. Not with my Britt, but with my Lab/Dalmation mix, Max. I was sitting at my computer and he always comes and bumps me for pets. The bumping this time seemed strange and I looked down and he's struggling to stand and panting and shaking. If he could have he would have crawled up into my lap. He knew who I was and was looking at me like he was trying to say "Mom, what's happening, help me!" We've had him since he was 8 weeks old, and he'll be 4 in October and this is the first I've ever seen this. I held him and pet him and then got my daughter to take over so I could get to the phone.

That got my daughter bawling (she's 12). Of course this was at 5pm and my vet was closed. By the time I'd gathered my car keys and purse and found his leash, and called my husband, he was already well out of his seizure, which I believe only lasted 30-50 seconds if that (it seemed like forever!). I went to put him in the car and he jumped in on his own. I drove around a little bit, and I decided to bring him home, as his head was out the window and he was sniffing away.

I had to go out last night to a school Open House, but when I returned they said he ate normally, initiated play with Kip (my Britt) and he even did his normal begging for my food. I woke up at 2am and checked on him and proceeded to tick him off because I woke him up!

I called my vet this morning and they said to log this one, and if he has another short one, to bring him in on Monday and they will do a full blood panel on him. They did say, if he has one that lasts longer than one minute to get him to the emergency vet. They said I had a pretty good handle on what to do and I reacted fine (well, except for screaming at my husband on the phone)!

Now, for the reason I write this, if it weren't for this Message Board, I would have freaked out even more. I've read the posts about seizures (Karen P., your posts stuck in my head and kept me thinking rationally) and I was able to learn from them.

So a big thank you to everyone that has posted about seizures, you taught me a lot and have helped ease my mind about what happened to Max.

I did just re-read a few and now that I think about it, our lawn was sprayed, the grass was still wet, and the guy was actually still here, and I let the dogs out, not knowing he was here until he rang the bell to tell me to get the dogs in and not let them out until everything has dried! I forgot to tell the vet that and wonder if that could have brought on his seizure, even if it was a few days ago!

My daughter just called me from school to check on her dog (her social studies teacher let her use the classroom phone) and was relieved to hear everything was fine.

So thank you all again! You are all not only a fountain of information on Britts, but on dogs in general!

Your Adoption Application Coordinator,

Betty L.

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Betty,
Oh it is so scary when your fur-kid (or kid) has a medical emergency!

I'm relieved that you found this board to be helpful.

My Duke developed seizures when he turned 4. We watched him & when the seizures became more frequent (we kept a log), we decided to put him on low-dose phenobarbital. Duke is now 11 (and has maybe one seizure a year) and is in great health.

Hopefully Max's seizure was due to the lawn spray ... (and because Duke has seizures, we do not have a lawn service. 'Course, our lawn looks like heck, particularly compared to the neighbors lawns (who all get lawn service), but ... my dog's health is more important over a "knock your soxs off, perfectly manicured lawn".

Keep us posted.

-Kathy

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Betty...the lawn spray seems a pretty likely culprit at this point in time. I would get a hold of the spray people, find out what chemicals they used, find out the possible adverse reactions to it (both pets and people), and then advise the vet about this possibility. They may have some experience with mitigating the reaction...if it indeed was caused by these particular chemicals.

Just some quick thoughts for the moment....
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Oh Betty, I'm so sorry you and Max had to go through this! I know how scary it can be. All you can do now is wait and see if it happens again. Zach had 2 seizures within 10 days, quite similar to the intensity you experienced with Max in fact, and my vet decided to put him on Phenobarbital at that point, but he's done great ever since....an occasional seizure, but nothing crazy and nothing unmanageable.

Keeping fingers crossed the yard chemicals were the culprit!

And by the way, my 12 yr old son has learned how to deal with Zach's seizures too. If, God forbid, this becomes part of Max's life, your daughter will learn what to do.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Betty ,
Give max a big hug from me . It is scary watching them . My angie would have seizures and we tracked it down to hair spray . So you ladies be careful and don't let you dogs in a confined arrea with hairspray . It can be very toxic and potentially fatal to a dog or cat . They don't put that warning on the label though :? Dave

Betty L.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Betty L. »

Thanks so much everyone!

I am waiting for a call back from the lawn people. I called the vet back about the lawn spraying and they said that very well could have been the culprit, but we'll just have to watch Max in the meantime. I've been watching Kip too, because he was outside as well (he's the ding dong that got into the Bufo toad) but all seems well in his Brittany world. I have never let the dogs out when the lawns been wet after spraying, but this time, the dogs didn't bark, so I didn't even know the guy was there! :cry:

We live in a deed restricted subdivision, so everything more or less has to be "just so", but if the lawn chemicals were the cause, I'll just change the service so they only spray my front and side yards (where the dogs can't get because they're confined in my fenced in area). Being that I live in Florida, we lost most of our front lawn to bugs and had to resod to the tune of $1200, so I don't want to do that again anytime soon, but I WILL insist they stop spraying inside the fenced area.

I'm hoping it was the spraying, but if not, you've all given me hope that even though it's a scary thing to watch, with the right drug, he can lead a long, normal, happy life, and that's all I ask.

I didn't know that about the hair spray...I don't have to worry about that because if either of my dogs see a hair spray bottle in my hand they go running! :)

tmixdorf
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Seizures

Post by tmixdorf »

Dave...is that true about hair spray and seizures?? I have Micky on the website...of course within 2 weeks of posting his bio he did in fact have a seizure. It is not caused from his liver, they have ruled that out. They are not bad...he even ran into the house, fell backwards trying to come through the door and stayed alert the whole time. But I know it is something that triggers it.

This happened on a Sunday morning....right when I was ready to leave for church!

Is there anything else you know of that can cause these seizures? Otherwise we are going to put him on the same stuff Bernie is on.

Thanks
Terry M (home of the misfit dogs)
Terry Mixdorf

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Terry ,
Yes it is true . My Angie had a seizure after being in the bathroom with my wife and we were beside ourselves figuring it out . She never had a grand mal seizure , but had the same symptoms Betty's dog had . Of course we drug her to the vet and did blood work etc. After we determined the likely culprit none of our dogs are allowed in the Bathroom while anyone is using hairspray , which isn't me of course . I don't have much hair left :roll: :lol: . Chemicals are a big culprit . Make sure he hasn't been in the garage or around bug killer , cleaning stuff and on ...There are so many things to trigger seizures that I would hold off medicating and try herbs if he has any mild ones . Maybe Barb can help on the herbs . Trauma obviously can cause this . Anyway keep us posted . 8) Dave

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

I did speak to a holistic vet about Zach's seizures (also very mild, he doesn't loose consciousness and seeks me out at the onset). He recommended a raw diet, no more vaccinations, no heartguard, no frontline. For heartworm preventative, he sells an all-natural topical mosquito and flea repellent (a dusting powder) that would need to be applied to the dog daily.

He also recommended Bovine Liver Fat Extract supplement (Antronex) for 90 days, which was suppose to flush the system of toxins from over-vaccination. I've also found it to be an excellent natural skin allergy treatment, and Lecethin, which is a neurological stabilizer.

You can purchase the Antronex by phone. Here's a website to check it out:

http://www.costlesssupplements.com/Antronex.htm

It's really pretty cheap...$30 for 330 tabs. I gave 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner for the first 2 weeks, then 1 in each meal.

The lecethin you can buy at any drug store in gel caps. You have to cut them open and squeaze them over their food.

He feels that 90% of seizing dogs are having a reaction to their environment, and that only the dogs with early onset seizures are truly epileptic (before the age of 2).

Zach always has a seizure episode within 10 days of his kennel cough vaccine so I've found a kennel that doesn't require he have one for that reason. He is medicated (1 pill thrown into his dinner every night), and because high temps + exercise can also make him seize, I give him 2 pills the night before we have something planned that will require him to be more active than usual.

Stress is a big contributor to seizures also, so I do the same thing if I'm going to put him into a stressful situation (a hotel stay, a long car ride...anything that he may view as stressful).

With 4 dogs now, I'm really not able to foster anymore, and I am finding that his seizures are much less frequent without my revolving door here. He's down to a seizure episode every 3 months or so, which is great. Since Zach is my pack leader (he's got the job because no one else wanted it, he's a pretty pathetic alpha if you ask me), he was most stressed by foster dogs coming into the house.

Keep us posted on how Micky does!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

tmixdorf
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Seizures

Post by tmixdorf »

Thank you Dave and Karen for the info! The vet is perplexed as well. His liver levels were off quite a bit and so we first wanted to rule out that his liver had anything to do with his seizures. Right now he is on L/D and taking Zinc, Vitamen E and Milk Thistle to clean and detox his liver. When he did have his seizure, his blood work came back normal....so the liver is ruled out.

My friend who use to own Normie and Bernie...(Dave you know who I'm talking about)...Bernie has had seizures since he as a pup. He is on Potassium Bormade and something else...it's a special concoction that is made up by a pharmisists or lab just for Bernie. If he was on the other stuff....he would have been dead by now. My vet wants to know the mixture/combo!

As for the hair spray and stuff....I'm going to watch it very closely. The prior owners said he had a seizure every other month and sure enough...he did...right after I posted him...go figure!! But I do have hair LOL and both my husband and I use hair spray. Thankfully 90% of the time I just use water to wash my floors.....

So thank you all...I will keep you posted as to how it is going. I appreciate all the information :P
Terry Mixdorf

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I stay in touich with Normie and Bernie's people and have been to see them . They will help with the med mixture I'm sure . Good luck and keep us posted . 8) Dave