jaw problems w/ Shafer went to the ER room..

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

jaw problems w/ Shafer went to the ER room..

Post by youjach »

Since Thursday night Shafer has been acting werid. He was laying on tha couch w/ me and I went to give him my usually hugs and kisses and he snapped at me- never before has he snapped at me or anyone else. So Friday he was avoiding our contact and he never does that. Yesterday it was getting worse. When given a treat or his food he would chew on one side w/ his head tilted to that side also. He was sleeping with his head up and he was starting totally avoid us- not barking which is unusual for him.

This morning we took him to an animal emergency clinic an hour away-- they were so nice- very concerned- took him in and examined him and said they didn't smell anything rotting in his mouth- didn't see any abseces and they were able to open his mouth only to a certain point then he would cry. So they gave us antibotics incase it could be an absece they didn't see and some pain meds. Told us that if in 7 days he continues to act this way to go back to our VET and have test done to see if it could be TMJ. They don't think it is and said it could have be from a strain on the bone I gave him.. One of those Booda cornstartch bones in the shape of a star/triangle. He loves those bones and has them once in awhile but this shape he never had and it is thick and harder then the others. I am hoping that he just hurt it from that and it isn't something more serious..

It is breaking my heart to see him in pain. and worried that it might worse- they did say it wasn't dislocated but what can they do for TMJ.

I know I am jumping the gun and need to wait and see but I am nervous and scared for him..

thanks for listening

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

So sorry to hear about Shafers' problem...poor pupper :cry: I had to look up TMJ and this is just a little bit of what I found:

http://www.infobeagle.com/health/tmj.htm?src=as

TMJ stands for temporomandibular joint which are the small joints that attach the jaw to the skull. TMJ is also used to describe a number ailments associated with the joint. Although medical science has not yet isolated the cause of TMJ, it has been associated with grinding and clenching of teeth, as a side effect of surgery and also due to arthritis. The typical symptoms of TMJ are the following:
• pain in the jaw joint and surrounding tissues, including the ear
• jaw locking open or closed
• facial pain
• limited opening or inability to open the mouth comfortably
• headaches
• bite that feels uncomfortable, "off", or as if it is continually changing
• neck, shoulder and back pain
• swelling on the side of the face
Sometimes TMJ problems will resolve themselves without treatment and minor cases respond to over the counter pair relievers and anti-inflammatory medication. If you have TMJ pain that lasts more than a week, or is very severe, you should consult your doctor or dentist.

*** Me again....this next one was a pretty interesting site...about humans but applies for dogs as well:

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/tmd_tmj.asp

Seeing as the vets left you guessing (no diagnosis) it seems like the best thing is to use the pain meds and keep him comfortable. The thing about the pain meds though is that you are covering up symptoms and so won't really know if he is improving or the drugs are just making him feel better :cry: So, if it were my dog I would try to minimize the meds as much as possible so that I could tell if he is actually getting better or worse.

You should also check in Monday with your vet and get s/him on board with what is going on, if just by phone.

As far as the way Shafer is acting toward you all, that is absolutely quite normal for a lot of dogs...to just want to be left alone. I would honor his "request", feed warm, soft mushy food so that he doesn't have to open his mouth much or chew, and just ride this out by keeping a really close eye on him for improvement as well as deterioriation. Make SURE that he at least continues to drink water, that is a must :!:

BTW, what were the pain meds?
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

Deramaxx 25 mg 1 per day 7 days

antibotics-
Cephalexin 500mg 1 every 12 hours 7 days-

I just came home and Jack told me to look at his eye and it is swollen and slighty ooze. He called the Er Vet and he told Jack that he mnoticed that but wasn't concerned because he will be on antibotics.

Honestly they were much nicer then our Vet- which is closed on Monday so we will have to wait until Tuesday-- and hopefully we can switch Vets this week.

I am concerned.....

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

So sorry to hear Shafer is not feeling well. Hopefully it's just something minor. If his eye is swollen and runny, I wonder it he could have a sinus infection of some kind or maybe he got bit/stung by something on the face and it's affecting both the eye and jaw.

Gotta say, hope it's not TMD...speaking from experience, it seriously sucks in people. My jaw does not sit normally in the socket and will frequently shift, lock, pop, etc. It can cause really bad headaches, and a friend of mine gets neck and shoulder pain too. For me, my jaw usually just gets really tender and if it's really shifted out of alignment, I get headaches. If it is TMD, try to find a chiropracter that practices on animals in your area...it works wonders for people. If the jaw is out of alignment, the chiropracter can get it shifted back to the right spot, which means almost instant relief! Only permanent "cure" that I am aware of for people with severe TMD is to break the jaw, reposition it correctly in the joint and let it heal. That's usually only done for people with debilitating pain. Most of us just manage it with pain killers, chiropractic treatments, etc.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Yes, I would be very concerned too :cry: Swelling and evidence of infection behind or in the eye is serious...yes, the antibiotics may get it under control, but you still need to find the CAUSE and soon. WhyOwhy does this stuff always happen on a holiday Arrrrrrgggghhhh :x

Deramaxx is a very potent NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory). Did the vets do blood labs before prescribing this drug? Did you get a Client Information Sheet along with the drug listing the adverse reactions to watch for? VERY important to know these....

Vomiting, Diarrhea, bloody stools, anorexia, depression and lethargy, skin lesions, Otitis (middle ear inflammation), Phlebitis (vein inflammation), blood in urine, Conjunctivitis, enlargement of the spleen and liver, death (25% chance).

Also, in July there was a recall on some Deramaxx:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2 ... 00910.html

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINE - CLASS III
The product is packed in plastic screw top
bottles containing 30 and 90 tablets each.
Recall # V-091-5;
b) Deramaxx (deracoxib) 100 mg tablets,
A coxib-class NSAID *For Use in Dogs Only*.
The product is packed in plastic screw top
bottles containing 90 tablets. Recall # V-092-5
CODE
a) Lot numbers SPT3C001, SPT3C208, SPN3C213 and
SPT3C029;
b) Lot number SPN3C166
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Recalling Firm: Novartis Animal Health US, Inc, Greensboro, NC, by telephone and fax on June 15, 2005, and follow up letter on June 28, 2005.
Manufacturer: Pfizer Pharmaceuticals Llc formally Gd Searle Llc, Caguas, PR. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
REASON
Product does not meet the finished product assay specifications.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
a) Unknown;
b) 4530 bottles
DISTRIBUTION
CA. GA, and HI
END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR July 27, 2005

This is all not to scare you...I know you already are terribly worried, me too :cry: Just so you are can be aware and watchful til you can get to your (new) vet. Fingers crossed it is just a mild infection that the antibiotics will handle.

Keep us in the loop.....

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

we called the Er again because we were concerned about his eye- they sadi comeback down no charge [super nice people]
we know know what is wrong with him--

Retrobulbar Abscess --

This is usually associated with inflammation and infection of the tissues behind the eye. When this infection becomes localized in one area, an abscess can form.

This infection can develop as the result of an infection of the mouth, teeth, eye or sinuses; the migration of foreign material; or from systemic infections. It can occur in animals of any age or sex. When related to the migration of foreign material, retrobulbar abscessation is more common during periods of prolonged drought. During these times, plant material is drier, sharper, and more brittle, and can more readily migrate through the tissues of the mouth into the space behind the eye.
Signs of retrobulbar abscessation usually occur suddenly and include:

Bulging of the eye

Swelling of tissues surrounding the eye

Prolapse of the third eyelid partially over the cornea

Pain upon opening the mouth

Not eating (due to pain) or reluctance to chew hard food

Crying when chewing

Lethargy

Fever

so we are on anticotics still - they said that should clear it up in a few days- if it doesn't or gets worse to call the Vet and they will have to do a procedure -

Yes I read about the side effects of Deramaxx- but he is in such pain.

After taking 1 pain pill this am he is so much better- he can eat w/out any crying and he is actually playing w/ one of his toys. We won't keep him on the pain pills for 7 days the Vet said to give it today - Monday and see how he is Tuesday wait till the afternoon.

Thanks for the info-- and I am glad we went back..

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Oooh, am so glad you have a diagnosis...now you know the enemy you can mount a proper offense, yeeesss :!: Nothing worse than "tilting at windmills".

Hope this all plays out well, keep us in the loop....we're all learning right along with you :!: I'm doing my homework on retrobulbar abscess.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Here is another lesser known (in veterinary circles) pain reliever alternative to NSAIDs.

TRAMADOL, also known as Ultram, a pain reliever commonly used for human pain, especially geriatric and kidney damaged patients, is a good alternative pain reliever for animals as well. It can be combined with steroids (NSAIDs cannot), and combined with NSAIDs as well. It can be added to the existing prescription for dogs whose pain is not being controlled with NSAIDs. Rather than using an NSAIDs as the first choice of treatment for mild arthritic pain Tramadol would be a good option. It can be used equally well for postsurgical pain, and acute or chronic pain.

Tramadol can be contra-indicated where there are seizure disorders. There can be mild side effects such as dry mouth and constipation, which stop when the drug is decreased or stopped. These side effects count as nothing when compared with NSAID side effects.

It has a very wide dosage range, which allows you to tweak it as needed for a specific pain need.

Here are some websites:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1815

http://www.vasg.org/s_thru_u.htm (scroll down to "Tramadol," the list is in
alphabetical order)

http://vettechs.blogspot.com/2005/04/tramadol.html

Veterinary Anesthesia Support Group/Pain Management (scroll down for the
Tramadol info - it gives dosages):
http://www.vasg.org/chronic_pain_management.htm

VASG/Tramadol Post-op (also scroll down to Tramadol):
http://www.vasg.org/s_thru_u.htm

Just a little more information to help make important decisions :-))) You might run this information by your vet for his/her consideration.

youjach
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by youjach »

Thanks for the info--

we are not giving him anymore pain meds- today was his last day.

He is responded well to the antibotics and is back to his old self pretty much today. A big change fron yesterday..

I am going to print some of that info out and file it just incase we need pain meds again.

Thank YOu