Something is Wrong with Maggie's Hind Legs!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Jan
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Something is Wrong with Maggie's Hind Legs!

Post by Jan »

Hi, Britt Lovers,
I'm sitting here worried sick about a recent change in Maggie (5 years old, about 35 pounds) For the past 2-3 days, I've noticed a very subtle change in her gait, specifically back legs. She wobbles when walking in the yard, like her back ends gets off balance. No signs of pain. Less active and playful, unwilling to take a flying leap on to my bed although she is able to jump up with some hesitation, not interested in wrestling with her dogsister (MAJOR change!). walks more slowly on our mile walks, intermittent slight drag of rear feet (or am I imagining it?). She hasn't lost control of bowel or bladder, eats well. She is able to lift her leg on both sides to pee and squats but seems a little unstable when she squats for BM.

I have a vet appointment Tuesday afternoon. I'm thinking Lyme? hip dyslpasia?, spinal cord tumor? Anybody have any ideas? It's killing me to have to wait until 3:40 PM

Thanks, Jan

Jan
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Jan »

Visited Vet this afternoon. Lyme ruled out (instant test for 3 different tick-borne illnesses) Anybody ever heard of a false negative? Two of my co-workers have lost their dogs to undetected Lyme Disease.

The vet did a complete blood count and super chem screen. Results should be back by tomorrow. She feels there is a neurological problem -disc maybe or arthritis (she's only 5). Maggie is not in pain. She doesn't feel it's hip dyspalsia. She started on Rimadyl for 2 weeks. I guess if blood work doesn't reveal anything, next step is x-rays and then MRI.

Even my husband could see her wobbliness/weakness tonight. I hate the waiting . . . .
Jan

Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Maggie

Post by Brenda Dom »

Jan:

Rimadyl has been a "wonder drug" for a couple of my fur-kids, from arthritis to unexplained lameness. She may have just injured something and it's taking a while to heal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Maggie and you.

Brenda Dom
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Lyme disease?

Post by Karen_P »

This happened to Zachery about 18 months ago. I came home one day from work and he wasn't doing his regular barky spinny thing...off to the vet we went.

The vet did a regular examination, gave him an antibiotic shot and sent us home with a week's worth of Doxicycline. He said that only one test can descriminate between an active lyme infection and a previous vaccine, and the bloodwork would need to be sent out to the lab for that test. Since we didn't know Zach's history, he said to give him the doxicycline and call him if there was no improvement or his condition seemed to worsen in 48 hours.

He improved dramatically withing 24 hours so I now keep a supply of Doxicycline on hand for any flair ups.