Squirts

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Squirts

Post by CJ »

Has anyone given imodium to their dog to help w/ the quirts? Trying to get into the vet today, but our old girl (15+ yr old cocker) has been running for a few days and slowing down. Thinking she's on her way out, but want to make her as comfortable as we can. It's been hard having her in the house w/ running so much. Tried settling her stomach w/ rice & pasta, but it's not working yet. Thanks for input.

harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by harleygrl1219 »

Sure have. Right before Synder got spayed she had diarrhea BAD... I used immodium. I believe I gave her a teaspoon or so. It helped but it was so bad the vet told me to cook, chicken, rice and meat and that helped more so than the immodium.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I'm sorry to hear about your old Cocker :( . You can use imodium and Pepto works along with soothing their stomach . Use a bigger syringe and just open their mouth and squirt it in slowly at the back of their tongue . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

That's how our old Britt went, lots of clean ups, but what do you do? Sorry I don't have any advice, nothing helped for us, but will definitely keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I've had good luck with Kaopectate....and with the kind of diarrhea you describe it is better to withhold food entirely, but making sure they get plenty of water, or a flavored broth to make them drink. Dehydration quickly becomes a serious matter after more than 24-36 hours of diarrhea.

For such an old dog this really sounds serious :cry: Hope all goes well and you can get her to settle.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I've had good luck with Kaopectate
Ahh, but watch out with that, I've had several in the Vet Med profession tell me that the formula to Kaopectate was changed and it's no longer very safe for dogs.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I've used both immodium and pepto - tablet form is easiest. As for being able to keep your dog in the house ... have you tried putting a Huggies pull up on? My 50 pound Springer cross has been wearing them for 3 years due to incontinence, the result from being run over. I put an extra sanitary napkin inside for extra absorbency. Casey wears 4T-5T and I cut a hole out for her tail. I would think a size or two smaller for a Cocker. Good luck and I hope it's not too serious.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by CJ »

Thanks everyone,
All prayers welcome, and yes we did try the diapers. They worked good, but.... the poor thing is all caked up with poop from them. I didn't have time to put her in the tub this AM before leaving for work so she's in the indoor kennel (in our shop) w/ a heater on the other side of the fencing till I can get home and get her cleaned up. It's been a long time since we've lost a dog and I'm not at all looking forward to this one. We addopted her right before our wedding and she's been all over with us. She has always been such a great dog. Very protective of her people. I never worried about being out of town w/ her around. I saw her take on, (and would have won) against a UPS guy once that she thought was going after my wife (was extending the clip board for her to sign). And our little boy loves her to death. He gets a little nervouse around our Britts (probably because they're both bigger than him), but he loves being around his old "puppy". Ah well, thanks agian for the help, will keep you posted.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Lisa wrote:....Ahh, but watch out with that, I've had several in the Vet Med profession tell me that the formula to Kaopectate was changed and it's no longer very safe for dogs.
Thanks for the tip....hadn't heard that :cry: Will do some checking around and find out "how come" :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by harleygrl1219 »

CJ

how is your dog doing?

CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by CJ »

Just walked in the door. She's taking a little vacation at Club Vet with the full PIV (pet intra veinous) treatment. But the good news is that all her blood work is OK and x-rays don't show anything freakish. So, hopefully it's just something the would normally be minor and is just amplified by her age. They'll have a better idea tomorrow night seeing how she responds to the drip. Keep ya posted.
c.j.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Good Luck . We've been there and are pulling for you . 8) Dave
-Will Rogers

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

The good blood work is the best news! Hopefully some extra hydration will do the trick, we'll keep the good thoughts going, let us know.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by CJ »

Well, the old girl has been home for a little over a day and is back and forth as far as condition. She's lost a lot of weight, and is still very week, but the squirts have slowed down considerably. I still am not sure if she's going to make it. We're hoping for selfish reasons she does, but she seems like she wants to go. So we'll see what happens. The vet put her on some high caloric perscription food, but she's really not likeing it and has barely touched it. Tried a few other things will little sucess. Back to the boiled chicken tonight and she tore it up, so maybe that'll do the trick, again.... we'll see. It was funny, we put some pumkin in with it and she ate around it and then turned her nose to what ever had too much on it. Had to rinse it all off before she'd touch it again. The things we won't do for our aging family members! The boys seem to know somethings going on and so does our son. He wants to be with her constantly. Ah well, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the support, prayers and kind words.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

CJ , I will keep you guys in my thoughts . You might try some good old beef if she will keep it down . My old girl Amber wouldn't eat anything but some of my Elk meat . Hang in there . Dave
-Will Rogers