Coughing

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Rebecca
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Coughing

Post by Rebecca »

I have not noticed suzie doing this but in the last couple of days. Every once in a while when she comes in she will sound like she is honking or coughs. Could this be allergies? Should I take her in? I have never hurd her do this before and now at five and a half can she suddenly have allergies?

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

If the cough lasts for more than 2 days, I would take her in. It could be allergies, she could have something caught in her throat, or it could be something more serious (as was the case with my Annie). Don't waste time trying to figure it out - let the vet do that!

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

Dogs can develop allergies at any time, although the most common time to develop them is between one and three years old.

However, coughing is not a typical symptom of allergies in dogs. Allergies in dogs almost always manifest themselves in skin-related symptoms--itchiness, paw licking or chewing, rubbing the face, ear infections, etc.

Whenever I hear someone say their dog is coughing, honking or hacking, I always think of kennel cough (also known as canine infectious tracheobronchitis). There are many strains of kennel cough, and dogs can catch it even if they've been vaccinated. It's kind of like the flu vaccine for people--the vaccine protects against the most common strains, but not all of them.

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Definitely call your vet. Coughing can be indicative of heart and pulmonary disease. Better safe than sorry.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I've got one on the same subject line . I've noticed over the years my Brittanys having a spasm where they are trying to inhale rapidly and using their accesory muscles doing it .By this I mean the muscles in between the ribs like a person with COPD . I was a respiratory Therapist for 8 yrs. and should be able to explain this better . I could use a bunch of medical terminology that might not pertain to dogs . They get what I call the "huffs" . Anyone know whats up with this ? I thought that big nose and dry air might have something to do with this ? Thanks DAVE

Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Myra »

Dave, what you're describing sounds like a reverse sneeze, a common and harmless condition.

Read this article and see if it sounds like a possibility:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... cleid=1112

Rebecca
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Rebecca »

Thank you Myra. This sounds exactly what Suzie is doing. Thanks for the information. Rebecca

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Janice »

After reading the link on reverse sneezing, I had a dog who once did this, but once he did it for a half our straight. Scared me to death and I ended up taking him to the vet who could find nothing wrong. After talking to a second vet about this, I was told that his reverse sneezing was actually a sinus problem he had. I noticed the dog was doing this in the summer time when it was extremely hot and humid after it rained. The second vet gave me something for his sinus'. And it stopped the problem. Exactly what I used for it I'm unsure, but it was a homeopathic medicne.

Janice

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Myra, This is exactly what my dogs are doing . Here I was trying to find a complex medical reason . :shock: THANKS Dave