Weight Loss

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Weight Loss

Post by DLDoiron »

I just got back from the vet and my CJ has lost 13 pounds since the end of April. She only has 4 more to go. The bad thing is that Doc gained 2 pounds so he has to lose 5 pounds. Yeah the diet food is working.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Way to go CJ :!: . You are adding years to his life . You should really be able to see 13 lbs. :shock: Four lbs. won't take long . Molly lost 7-9 lbs . a month .
Great job Diana :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

Yeah for you Diana, we know first hand that losing weight is not an easy thing to do. :D
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

That's wonderful! But be prepared. Once the weight is off, they seem to get super-charged. Courage got up to 60 pounds when he was 2 yrs old. He's down to 45 pounds now and try as I may, I can't get even a couple of pounds back on him. I've even gone so far as to have him checked for worms and have thyroid tests done (all normal). I continue to increase his food and all that does is give him more energy to run around the yard more.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

Once the weight is off, they seem to get super-charged
Yes your right about that, Melanie has lost 7 pounds so far and is running, playing, and pulling on the leash alot more lately. Can't wait to see what the next ten pounds does for her. :lol:
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Molly lost so much weight that her energy level just ramped up over a 8-9 month period . She was an active 90 lb. Brittany when we first got her , that's why she lost so much weight :lol: Now that her weight has stablilized and she gets excersise every day her energy level evened out also . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

ChrstnaLA
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by ChrstnaLA »

Congrats on all the weight loss! It's certainly a hard-won battle for these chow hounds, isn't it? I just wish we were seeing a bit more success on that front. What are you all feeding in terms of diet food and how much? And how much exercise are your dogs getting?

We've been kinda lazy on getting Riley out for walks lately :oops: but I still feel like we should be seeing some progress.
Christina :)
Riley & Gunnar

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

Melanie is eating Nutro Lite or Diet which ever that brand is called don't have a bag handy to look at. She also gets different veggies mixed in, plus a large variety of other things. Sometimes cottage cheese, yogurt, rice, but what ever I add it is a small amount. I always add something wet to bulk up the food, seems to make her think she is getting more. Everyday she does get an egg of some sort, recently shell and all. She is not allowed any store bought treats, but I do give her a pet vitamin and vitamin C pill everyday and call those a cookie. That trick has also worked for her. Each day is allowed one raw bone a beef rib or a couple chicken wings and that is not until at least 1pm or later. The big rule in this house is no food before 5am or 5pm, that too has helped. Now on to exercise right now the weather is Texas is cool so they are walked twice a day for a total of 3.5 miles a day. In the summer they walk once a day in the early morning and that is about 1.75 miles. I also weigh her each week or try to and do keep track.
Lorie

Snoopy

ChrstnaLA
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by ChrstnaLA »

Thanks for the info Lorie. Riley just started on the Nutro in the last week or so. We switched him from the Natural Balance reduced calorie to see if that works. He gets frozen green beans to supplement the food and I add water as well. He is only getting about 1 cup of dog food a day and I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the green beans. Next will be to eliminate the treats, which he only gets 1 biscuit when I leave in the morning and put them out.

As for exercise, my two don't get enough. Riley is pretty low key compared to most Britts, but when they don't get out in the yard to at least play every day, they are monsters in the house in the evening. Guess I need to drag my butt out of bed and get them out for a walk in the mornings.
Christina :)
Riley & Gunnar

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

Guess I need to drag my butt out of bed and get them out for a walk in the mornings.
Or you could walk them in the evening if your not a morning person. I have no choice to walk early mornings in the summer between 5-6am is the coolest time, even then it is too hot for me some mornings but do it for the girls. Now all I need to do is spell the word and they know, what is going to happen. Another big give away is grabbing my Ipod they start to stretch into froggy and start wagging at me. I walk the same route and the girls know the way, if I do change course they look at me as if to say you are kidding right :lol:. I look at it this way on days I really am tired and don't want to go, I think ok we are taking a couple days off each of our lives and then end up going. I am glad I was able to help. It seemed to take a little while before Melanie lost anything, her bodies way of saying oh no your starving me and I'm hanging on to all the fat I can. :lol:
Lorie

Snoopy

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by plkoslov »

I was always told NO chicken bones for dogs. Are chicken wings okay? Something about the bones splintering; right? I buy these marrow bones that are cut probably two inches long and maybe two inches across, but they are SO expensive! I give them to the dogs frozen when I'm going off for the day or something, but otherwise they are too pricey to give them all the time. We have a butcher nearby. What would I ask him for if I wanted a perfect bone for the dogs???

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

plkoslov wrote:I was always told NO chicken bones for dogs. Are chicken wings okay? Something about the bones splintering; right?
No COOKED bones for dogs, chicken or otherwise....they are the ones that splinter and/or are indigestible. For bones to be digestible they need to be RAW.

The RAW bones with meat like wings, thighs, backs, necks....those are great for dogs but are usually just crunch-crunched-gone. The ones good for gnawing on are knuckle, rib, and femur bones. However, the femur or weight bearing bones are quite hard so you need to be wary of broken teeth. I like the long rib bones from beef (or the larger meat animals like game)....these are blood bones rather than marrow bones so less hard and easier on the teeth. However, with ALL bones you need to supervise the chewing/gnawing sessions and 1/2 to 3/4 hour is plenty for a good gnaw. Check the archives for the Golden Rules of Bones :D

viewtopic.php?p=24229&highlight=bones#24229

Frankly, I think a 2 inch bone is too small for a Brittany....too easy to swallow. When ANY gnawing bones get small enough to swallow they should be taken away, hence the warning to ALWAYS supervise bone chewing sessions.

Remember, dogs evolved eating raw meat and bones, thousands of years of evolution. It is quite arrogant and presumptive of dog food manufacturers to say and perpetuate the myth that dogs should not eat raw food :x JMLTHO of course :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

I give mine raw chicken bones necks, wings, drums, whatever is around at feeding time. Barb said in a different thread that cooking them changes the structure of the bone. I hope she chimes in and explains it better than me. I wish I could remember the title of the thread, as that had all the info in it. On Thanksgiving I gave my girls the raw turkey wings for dinner. I buy them beef rib bones here in Texas they run about 1.40-1.59 a pound, the marrow bones like you buy are not too expensive here. I used to buy those and before I knew any better cooked them for the girls. I still get them once in a while, but also get the pork necks for a change of pace. Mine get the rib bones as a daily treat and I would say for them that is the perfect type of bone.
Lorie

Snoopy

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by plkoslov »

Thanks for that info - it is very helpful and I will enlarge the "treat" options for my dogs!

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

I just got back from the vet and my CJ has lost 13 pounds since the end of April. She only has 4 more to go. The bad thing is that Doc gained 2 pounds so he has to lose 5 pounds. Yeah the diet food is working.
YEAH! That is quite the feat as my Riley would understand. We've been doing a lot of moderate exercise and go for a vet recheck next week. Even if he doesn't lose any weight, I know that he is making muscle instead!!
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world