Did Jill Have a Seizure? HELP!!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Did Jill Have a Seizure? HELP!!

Post by Cindy »

It was 5:30 this morning and I heard the cat jump the baby gate to come ino the bedroom. We were all sleeping (except me obviously) and Jill, all of a sudden, jumped up off the bed and started scrambling around on the floor. I thought she was trying to play with the cat but when I turned on the light I found her on her side, part way under the bed, and all 4 legs just going wild! I knelt down because I thought she was stuck, and her body was very rigid. Her eyes were kind of bulging, she was panting, etc. This lasted about 30-45 seconds (I think - seemed liked forever) and then she stopped. I picked her up and put her on the bed and she was all over me, acting very excited and friendly.

I let her outside but she didn't want to go off the deck and was acting like "where's my breakfast?" I decided to feed both dogs and she ate some but not all of her food. They both went out and when they came back in Jill finished her dish. She seems perfectly normal now except she's hanging around me and acting kind of needy. Normally she goes back to bed after she's had breakfast and been outside.

I haven't had time to do a search on this site about seisures and I know there's lots of information. Just wanted to post this in case anyone was awake and reading.

If this was a seisure, what do I do now???
Last edited by Cindy on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

Don't blame you for being worried, and I have no idea :cry: what to say about a seizure or not. That does not sound like my Micky when he has had seizures. His walks like a drunker sailor, and can follow commands, he does pant, eyes do not buldge, he is not really rigid. I know the key is calm, quiet, and low light. However the first time I dealt with Micky I only had bits and pieces of each it was scary. I know others will have better advice than me but wanted you to know your not alone.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Thanks Lori - I'm glad you were out there this morning!! Yes - I was scared to death just not knowing what was going on. I told myself it might be a seizure but I just didn't know what I could do to help her. I just sat by her side patting her and talking calmly. It's been an hour and she seems just fine. I read through other posts on this board about seizures but I'm still not really sure if I should call the vet. Of course, we're leaving town tomorrow for 6 days! These things ALWAYS happen when you're going out of town!! Fortunately my petsitter is a vet tech so I will alert her to the situation today.

I've been racking my brain and just can't come up with what might have caused it. No pesticides, no vaccinations, no heartworm or tick preventative, no new food, no NOTHING! She's due for Frontline but I'm thinking I'll put that off until we get back home.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

What you are describing is a Grand Mal seizure . Lorie's boy has Petit Mal seizures . My Angie would have a Petit Mal seizer occasionaly . Her's was triggered by hair spray . Any number of chemicals , fever , and environmental causes can trigger seizures :( . I used to do EEG tests on infants for children and learned more than I wanted to know . Karen P and several others have had Brittanys with seizures and will chime in . You did what was right , don't fight them , just remain calm . Watch her and check your house and property again for something she might have got into . You need to also keep a log of how long the seizure lasted and if she has any more the frequency . I can't remember how often before they treat them with meds . That's all I can think of right now . Hang in there and give her a big pet . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Yup, what Dave is saying is right. My friend has a Bernese Mountain Dog mix that has seizures and what you described sounds exactly like Beamer. It's very scary when it happens. I would call the vet and make an appointment just to makes sure nothing new is going on to trigger the seizure since it's the first time she's had one. Beamer had to be started on phenobarbitol a couple of months ago for his and he's doing great now! Good luck.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Dennis
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Dennis »

When we adopted Buddi he had a history of seizures. About a month after we got him I pulled into the yard and he was on his side all four legs stiff and he was panting and drooling and a very wild look in his eyes. I basically held him enough that he didn't hurt himself. A few minutes later he was able to get up and I walked the little drunk to the truck for a quick trip to the vet. Of course when I got there he was closed and Buddi was sitting there o'boy I'm going for a ride. They have become milder and less frequent as he's gotten older and he hasn't had one in over a year. They are scary but we mainly just kept him from hurting himself, we didn't put him on medication for fear of changing his "personality". There were a few instances that were triggered by our daughter coming home from college for the weekend or so it seemed.

Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Lorie »

I am glad to see others have had something to say, now I feel better too. I agree with the journal that needs to be done, try to think about the last couple days and see what you come up with. Write as many specific things that you can think of, even if you think the detail is just not that big of a deal make a note of it anyways. The clues are there. This might not be the first one she had, but only the first one you witnessed. That means no Frontline or other chemical around her better safe than sorry. I know since we got Micky in Jan, he has had 1 seizure. But I have listened to all the advice given and something must be right, that 1 seizure was right after we got him too. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy

Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Annie'sRebecca »

Poor Jill and poor Cindy! I don't have any advice, just wanted to say we are thinking about y'all. It must be really scary to witness something like that. I'd probably take mine to the vet if something like this happened. They might be able to help, but they might not.
Keep us updated and let us know how Jill's doing.
Annie & Rowdy

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

Same here, I have never experienced a seizure other that in humans. But I also want to let you know that I am thinking of you and Jill and praying that if it was a seizure that you find the right medicine for her. Please keep us posted how she is doing.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I'll concur with what most have said - yep, sounds like a seizure. Our brit Henry has seizures. I would call your vet so they can put a note in her chart and see her if they feel it's necessary (or if it will make you feel better). Be sure to give them as much info as possible regarding the circumstances - how long it lasted, time of day, exactly what she did, etc. Henry's been on phenobarb for over a year now. Since he's gone on it, we've only witnessed one very minor seizure that lasted about 10 seconds. Good luck and I hope Jill is feeling better.

Kristy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Kristy »

Sorry to hear about Jill. I think it's good that she came out of it and was physically back to normal so soon after.

Riley has had 2 seizures, both time we did not see the seizure itself, only the after effects. Both times he was not in the same room as us, but came walking like a drunk & "high stepping" to come find us. His eyes had a blank stare, he wasn't very responsive and was like dead weight when we picked him up. Both times he acted this way for a good 45min to an hour. The first time scared the crap out of me! Both happened in August, 2 and 3 years ago, he didn't have one last year that I'm aware of, and is not on any medication.
Riley & Colby

Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Carol »

Poor Jill... I hope that this is just a "one time" thing. I'm glad she is doing better now.
Kiss my nose, you know you want to.

Check out my blog at www.fugitivefromthedogstar.blogspot.com

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:cry: So sorry to hear about this :cry: :cry: Hope you can get a handle on what might have triggered it. It sounds like she will be in good hands while you are gone so try to not worry too much.....I know, not possible to follow that suggestion :)

I agree with the others....get a journal started on her if you don't have one already....sometimes the clues show up in a pattern, and only a daily journal will show that.

Hoping all goes well from here on.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Kathy »

Yup, a grand mal seizure. My Duke will have them once in a while, and lately he's had a couple of petite mal seizures. He's on phenobarbital, low dose, that helps a lot.

Yes, keep a log. If the seizures increase in
frequency as in more than 1/month
duration as in the seizure goes for longer & longer times (note: if the seizure lasts 15-20min, call the vet ... status elipticus - a long seizure - may result in brain damage. The vet has drugs to control status elipticus.)
severity as in increased rigidity, etc

Seizures are scary, but once you understand what is going on and you know what to do, it's still scary but you've got a plan to deal with them.

Our Duke had seizures on and off for about a year before we decided the the frequency was increasing & it was time for phenobarb. Duke developed seizures at 4 yo (kinda late in life), and he's a healthy abeit grouchy nearly 13 yo brit.

Hugs,
Kathy

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

One thing I wanted to add to what everyone else has said. If you haven't done it recently, have her thyroid tested (it can probably wait until you get back from vacation). A screwed up thyroid can cause Grand Mal seizures like you described. Tick Born Diseases can also cause seizures...so that'd be another thing to double check.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD