Seizure?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

meteorologist
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Seizure?

Post by meteorologist »

We were watching TV tonight and Missy came stumbling into the room. She came over and sat by my side and kept turning her head to one side and pawing the air with her right paw. I was calling her name, but she was unresponsive. After about a minute of this, she snapped out of it, and began looking around the room sat down lightly panting. She looked so scared.

I had the presence of mind to video the tail end of this. Here's the video if you want to see it.

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvi4893du5.flv

My wife said this has happened on one other occasion that she knew of. I'm guessing that this was a petimal seizure since she never lost consciousness, but did seem zoned out and had convulsions and turning of the neck. I'm mainly interested as to why this happened, whether her thyroid medicine is to blame or if there are other factors that we're not taking into account. This personally very difficult to deal with since I had seizures throughout my teenage years and into my early 20's, and would not wish them on anyone.

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

I would agree, looks like a petite mal.

There are many factors that can cause seizures to happen, but you mentioned she is on thyroid meds. How old is she and how long has she been on those meds? It may be time to up the dosage: her weight could have changed leading to her body treating the meds a bit differently.

Another thing to look at is changes in her environment: have you sprayed for bugs, fertilized the lawn? Or have you given her advantage or other topical lately?

Start keeping a diary, one seizure a month is considered ok as long as they are not cluster seizures or last a long time (>5 minutes). After that, it is time for meds.

I am sure others will post about diet changes, and these have worked for some, but did not work with my pup.

Best of luck.

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thyroid imbalances can often cause seizures. If she's on a thyroid med, it would probably be a good idea to have her thyroid tested, to make sure the doseage is still correct.

The sucky thing about thyroid problems is that you have to keep monitoring it, as the needed doseage can change.

Here's a pretty good article on hypothyroidism in dogs (and poke around on the site a little, there's lots of good info about seizures in dogs)

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/DrDodds2.html
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

meteorologist
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by meteorologist »

Well it's time for her annual checkup in August, so we'll probably just have it a few weeks early.

When she went on the thyroid meds, the doctor conducting the study recommended 1 pill 2x/day. We had her thyroid levels checked a few months ago, and my vet recommended cutting her dosage back to 1/2 pill 2x/day. I think it's been since then that she's had the two seizures.

I can't think of any obvious environmental factors off the top of my head. I'll sleep on it and see what I can come up with in the morning.

Jason

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Jason ,
You are correct . I think petimal seizure also . Hang in there she'll be alright , and it could be the thyroid changes and meds doing this .
Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Annie'sRebecca
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Annie'sRebecca »

Poor Missy! She does look scared. It makes you want to give her a big hug. I don't have any experience with seizures in dogs, but I hope it's just something y'all can fix with adjusting her thyroid meds. Keep us updated!
Annie & Rowdy

meteorologist
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by meteorologist »

I took Missy in for her annual check up today, and told the vet about it. He said to keep a log of when and how long, but otherwise didn't seem too worried. He said that he's seen dogs that have seizures due to all kinds of factors, such as thunderstorms and full moons.

Thanks again for your support everyone.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I keep bringing this up , but Rusty had a seizure because of being stung by Hornets . I think he knocked over a nest out by a car I had parked . Anyway he had a petimal seizure after being stung a couple of times . After that he would go ballistic whenever a hornet got into the house . He made it his mission to kill them :roll: :lol: He even knocked over lamps and anything that was in his way :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

Poor Missy, she does look scare :( . I hope she doesn't get anymore or you can find out what trigers them.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

Dogtorj
Puppy

Post by Dogtorj »

HOPE wrote:Poor Missy, she does look scare :( . I hope she doesn't get anymore or you can find out what trigers them.
Contrary to what we are taught in vet school, the diet plays a HUGE role in the development and perpetuation of epilepsy. On this, Dr. Dodds and I wholeheartedly agree (and work closely together on). This subject has become my life's work and my Website goes into gross detail on the role of certain foods in seizure disorders.

You want to avoid all gluten (wheat, barley, rye), dairy products, soy and corn. The ideal commercial diets are the newer potato-based diets. A close second are the rice-based diets that have none of the "big 4" above. Home-coooked diets are even more ideal. Either way, I recommend supplementation with fresh fruits and vegetables.

John

John B. Symes, DVM (aka "Dogtorj")

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

Wow John, you are a vet, "Welcome to the Board" it is good to know someone who is a vet, is like having a doctor in the family.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Wow John, you are a vet, "Welcome to the Board" it is good to know someone who is a vet, is like having a doctor in the family.
:P :P :lol: Are you saying that our Barb isn't like having a doctor in the family? :shock: :P 8)
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:lol: :lol: Just an "herbalist nag" here :lol: :lol: Hopefully the Vet will make the rounds on our board often :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

tmixdorf
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by tmixdorf »

Good morning everyone!

Jason, I'm feel for you and Missy. Poor thing and sometimes it is harder on us because we are helpless to "make it go away".

Sounds by the suggestions everyone gave, they are good ones. I had 2 dogs with seizures, one had Grand Mal's the other was mild like yours.

I like the idea of changing the diet as it seems to be the core of so many issues (both human and dogs/cats).

Do keep us posted on what you are learning/seeing with her.
Terry Mixdorf

RJoseph
Puppy

Don't worry

Post by RJoseph »

Don't worry about Missy seeming "scared". I had an epileptic dog for 6 years and have been an ER vet tech for 13. What you caught on video looks like what is called a post-ichtal stage of a seizure. It is a short phase preceeding of following a seizure where the animal becomes a bit confused and disoriented. They usually do not remember it afterwards. If she ever experiences it again, I would just try to stablilize her head and torso because they do occasionally become a bit dizzy while post-ichtal and can smack their heads into furniture, etc. Poor dollface. Also, changing diet too frequently can encourage a dog to develop allergies on top of their other medical issues. I would stick to what your veterinarian who has actually done a physical exam and medical history on Missy is recommending.