Male leaking urine at night

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

britsforme
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Male leaking urine at night

Post by britsforme »

I have a male, former foster, now adopted by me that was neutered about 6-7 weeks ago who seems to be leaking urine at night while he is sleeping. I have seem many postings on female incontinence, but never male incontinence. He is probably 3-5 yrs old and is known to be healthy, except that he is full of buckshot and blind in one eye. He is very active and happy. I noticed this just the last few nights. Diet has not changed.

Does anyone have any ideas before I make a trip to the vet? I have spent about $600 this month already at the vet and will take him if I have to, of course, but thought I would ask around before to see if anyone has any experience with this. Could this be related to the neutering? Or could it be a bladder infection? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Gretchen

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. ~Mark Twain, letter to W.D. Howells, 2 April 1899

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Just sort of guessing here, but if it is deep sleep incontinence, and ONLY then I would think probably it is a result of unavoidable nerve damage done during the neutering and that he will pass through this phase as he continues to heal.

Here are the common symptoms of a urinary tract infection:

* frequent urination
* dripping or dribbling urine
* blood in the urine
* squatting/lifting leg frequently but no urine
* straining to urinate
* strong odor to the urine
* inappropriate urination (breaking house training)
* incontinence
* an increase in thirst and drinking.

Dogs can have just a couple of these symptoms or all of them, and in rare cases, none of them!!

Guess to rule out UTI I would get a urine sample and take it in just be able to check that possibility off the list. You don't need to take the dog in for this, just ask your vet how and when (time of day) he wants you to collect the specimen.

If he is only doing it during deep sleep, I would give the surgery trauma a little longer to heal...this is much longer in an older/adult dog.....eventually, hopefully, he will begin to FEEL the pressure and clench up automatically.

Couple questions...when this happens is he emptying his bladder or is he just as you say, leaking a little? Also, where in the body is all the buckshot....gad, what dreadful thing :evil:

All I can think of right now....hope it helps.

britsforme
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by britsforme »

Thanks for the reply Barb. He is not emptying his bladder, just seems to be seeping or leaking while asleep. At other times of the day this is not a problem, only at night.

I am hoping this is a result of still in the healing process from the neutering since he does not have any of the other symptons that you list. That was the first thing that I thought of too. I think as a precaution I might go ahead and take in a urine sample, this would be very easy to do with this guy, he pees like a racehorse!!

The buckshot is throughout the neck and chest area. Whoever hunted with him must of been a TERRIBLE shot and pretty cruel at that due to the other scars, including being shot in the eye. You would NEVER believe this guy had been abused though, he is the SWEETEST dog and just wants to be loved. He is obedient, but is a little scared of loud voices, which I tend to get a little loud when trying to settle 4 dogs! My bad and I am trying to discipline with a little softer, but firm voice, not always easy I must say. Thanks again for the advice that is great as usual!
Gretchen

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. ~Mark Twain, letter to W.D. Howells, 2 April 1899

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

After having all males the last three years , I would say this might subside after he heels from neutering . I've had several fosters that were neutered before adoption and noticed this problem with one .after a month it quit . :) Dave

juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by juliette »

My 11 year old male, who was neutered when he came into ABR just a year ago, also dribbles a little bit, though not just at night. It is so little, like just a drop or so at a time, that we didn't really notice it until last summer when, after he'd stand up from lying on the concrete for a while, there'd be a small wet spot. Now I notice a little dampness sometimes when he's lying on the couch next to me, watching tv. I figured it was just an old age thing, but it might have been related to his neutering...

Since my other dog is a submissive urinator, we are already in the habit of constantly washing all of the dog bedding and (plastic lined) furniture covers, so it's really no big deal for us.