10 month old NM weighing in at 53 lbs.

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

10 month old NM weighing in at 53 lbs.

Post by Dave »

Just got a 10 month old NM and he is a chub :o I've seen skinny and fat in these rescues this summer and early fall. He is healthy and his owner said he ate once a day , but didn't say how much :lol: I'm going to put him on Iams puppy food mixed half adult and feed him twice a day .I tried feeding him tonight and he wouldn't eat :? , uncommon for a youngster . I'm sure he was unsure being here and I realize the adjustment period . He's reported to also being picky and being fed gravy etc. on his food . He has the appropriate energy level , go , go , go sleep go :lol: His stool looks as though he's been fed old Roy. We don't have alot of various food options in rural Mt. Science diet , Iams and a couple others . Suggestions appreciated . 8) Dave

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

I think I'd take him off the puppy food and put him on the adult only, feed twice a day, and if he's that heavy, keep his food to a total of 1 1/2 cups a day until he's at an ideal weight. No biscuits, no doggie treats. Maybe just baby carrots. If he acts starving or has loose stool, put a couple heaping tablespoons of canned pumpkin in each meal. It will help bind him up a bit and act as a filler so he's not hungry.

Don't worry about him not eating. He's probably majorly stressed out and will start eating in a day or two. Put his food down for 15-20 minutes and take it away. He'll get the idea when he's hungry enough.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Thanks Karen , I'm majorly stressed :o and so relieved I got him so easy . Great ideas, my brain hit neutral last night . He wasn't crate trained and he is snoozing behind me right now in a crate :) Thanks Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Dave: Karen is on the right track with the amount and going off the puppy food. However, just because the pup is fat doesn't mean he is healthy! Because he is still a growing, developing dog I would supplement with some "real" food, just in small quantities but with at least one meal a day.

A good start is a raw egg several times a week, shell and all if he will eat it. The raw shell has a natural balance of calcium and phosphorus, necessary for a growing developing pup, and the white is a great source of quality protein, and the yolk has lots of neat nutrients. You will be adding almost complete nutrition, albeit in small amounts, and it comes in a convenient package...just crush, stir and serve 8)

Another good protein source is raw liver, just a couple teaspoons a day will add some really super nutrients...chicken livers are usually not too expensive, or beef or lamb will do. I would avoid pork right now. You can get it in quantity when on sale, chop it or mush it up and freeze it in serving quantities, pretty simple, ice cube trays work very well. Actually, your other dogs would benefit from this too.

When you go hunting (whatever the game) save the heart, kidneys and liver for your dogs, that is if you don't use them yourself :wink: A lot of stuff that people throw away when cutting up game would make good raw nutritional supplements for your dogs food, given in small quantities if they are not used to variety :)

I think you will find that the pup will lose weight quite fast just from being able to rough house and play with the other dogs....he sounds like he has not had much chance for exercise which may in part account for the excess weight, plus of course a poor quality high grain content food.

Guess that is enough for now....really looking forward to hear how things develop with this pupper....I bet it is going to go very well simply because your heart is in it 8)

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Great ideas , I'll implement both :D Rusty is on Iams adult and I haven't been feeding him supplements and he is still on the skinny side . I've bumped him up to 4 cups a day and he is just maintaning . :? I'm going to harvest a deer or two because the land owners I hunt their property want to thin the deer down . I am going to give them cut up chunks of broiled meat once a day bout a quater cup . I'll save the heart and livers also . BIG thanks :D Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Actually Dave, you don't need to cook the deer meat...the heat will destroy quite a bit of the nutrition, especially the B vitamins. Given raw that small amount, 1/4 cup, shouldn't phase their digestive systems in the least, even given twice a day. Cooking the meat does change the QUALITY of the protein....but in any event, either way it is a benefit to the diet 8)

When I had lots of dogs I used to go around to all the hunters in town and ask them to save their "trimmings" for me...one year I put up over 900 pounds (including some bones) of so-called waste, the dogs were VERYVERYVERY happy with those tid-bits thrown on top of their meal :D Some of the fat that comes off the cuts would be good for Rusty too...just give in small quantities (1/4 cup is good) at a time or to stool tolerance...fat, real unadulterated animal fat, is great for helping to put weight on a dog.

BTW what commercial dog foods are available to you :?:

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Actually that never occured to me , not cooking the meat . Good idea :) The pup doesn't need the weight , but the protein will be great .I'll trim the fat off his .I have Iams , Science diet ,Purina hi pro and a bunch of off breeds I wouldn't bother with . In the past I've had good luck with the various Iams offerings , but Rusty isn't thriving that well with them :? . If I hunted him I'd clear my freezer of any older venison that's for sure . Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Of your choices Iams is probably the best. With Rusty you might just try some of the supplements you are giving the pup (like egg, raw meat, cottage cheese) with each meal....maybe a little fish oil would also be a good addition too. Save all your suet/fat from your game and give Rusty some of that with each meal, or even better, in between meals. Can't remember exactly how long you have had him, but he may still be playing catch-up nutrition wise.

Also, did you ever take a stool specimen in to check for parasites? That might be a good idea if you haven't done it...should do it for the pup too just to be sure :idea:

One other thought....some feed supply stores will order in for you if you guarantee to use a certain amount of the food. With as many dogs as you have you may be able to satisfy both the store on quantity and yourself on quality..doesn't hurt to ask :!:

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Karen_P »

Dave, I have to tell you. I fed Iams for quite a while and really wasn't happy with it. I switched to Purina One and saw an improvement in coat within a couple of weeks. I stuck to the Purina for about a year, and then switched to Flint River Ranch and again, the difference is remarkable! Zach's coat has once again improved, his energy level is better, and Courage's coat has the most beautiful sheen.

He's 4 yrs old and for the first time in his life he's putting on lean muscle mass. He finally looks like an adult Brittany instead of an 18 month old. His chest is deeper, his waist more defined, and I can still feel his ribs through a thin layer of fat the way you're suppose to. I think that it's a combination of things...he's more active with Blaze around, but I think his body is making better use of what's going in too. I'm thrilled with the results we're getting with the FRR food. The nice thing is it doesn't matter where you live. It's mail order. In addition, Kathy Knappenberger, the DE coordinator, is a distributor and donates a % of each sale to ABR.

I will warn you that it takes a while to wean them onto it though. It's MUCH richer than the store-bought food and if you don't make the change very gradually, they'll definitely wind up with gas & the runs.

For your fosters, you might want to keep a bag of Purina around the house so you can wean any new fosters onto any higher quality food though. We know that the vast majority of the dogs we get into rescue are being fed whatever is least expensive or donated at shelters, and people who surrender their dogs don't care enough about them to make a special trip to the feed store to buy a decent food, so having some inexpensive food around to ease the transition might be good.