Rosie is Fine!

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Rosie is Fine!

Post by Mike S. »

Well, good news with Rosie. No damage from the toxic plants and no signs of anything medical (heart etc) that is causing her stamina issues. Her tongue discoloration is normal so it may just be heat related. She is still a bit overweight so as a few more pounds come off - she may take the heat better. In the mean time - we'll let her tell us how much she wants to do.

Her is a pic from yesterday of her getting some R and R in her outside pen.

http://members.cox.net/mschwandt1/Rosie ... 20002R.jpg

Mary Ann
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm glad Rosie is fine!
I was worried about the tongue discoloration because I took Hunter out for a run last night and his togue got a little purple. Glad to know it is "normal".
Mary Ann

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Rosie

Post by Barb Wright »

Glad to hear the good news on Rosie....must confess that when you said you were doing blood work lights went off in my head and I thought "of course, Thyroid !! should have thought of that". Well, glad I was wrong :) The reason the thyroid occurred to me, finally, was it is the thermostat for the body, sending out the hormones that get oxygen into the cells. The lack of these hormones can account for lack of energy, stamina, and poor cooling, among other symptoms.

Well, nobody wants a whacked out thyroid, so very happy that Rosie checked out good health-wise everywhere :!: Maybe we're back to just a case of heat/humidity intolerance....some people/dogs can deal with it easily, others cannot. No news there :wink:

Keep us up to date on the continuing Rosie saga :D

Patti S.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Patti S. »

Sure will Barb. She's been cooling down in about 10 minutes now. We bring her inside immediately after walking and put the ceiling fan on and a box fan on. Give her cold water from the fridge and a piece of ice. She's starting to lose some weight too so that will help lots. Thanks again for all of the good advice. This message board and all of you are the best! :wink:
Rosie's Mom

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Janice »

My computer has been down for a couple of weeks now so I am happy to hear that Rosie checked out as ok. However, did I miss something? What tests did the vet run on her for the stamina/overheating proplem? Just curious as I want to have Rolo checked out as well. Hopefully he will check out ok, and is suffering from the 90 degree weather and humidity already hitting Florida.

Janice

Mike S.
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Mike S. »

he did a complete blood analysis to check for heartworms (even though she was negative in Jan and on preventative) and also to check for any liver damage or any evidence of toxins which she may have been ingesting some of from some toxic plants in the yard. her blood was perfect he said.

he also did like a stress test on her involving some running and some stairs (a setup in the back of his building). he said she did fine and all of her cooling functions/heartrate etc were fine. her tongue and nose discoloration and recovery time from the exercise were normal.

this being our first britt and first dog in a good while - i think we are a little over cautious.

she seems a bit more acclimated to the heat the last few weeks and has lost about 5 lbs since we have been feeding her correctly - ha.

i also think too that reading all of the stories on here about the energy crazy britts had us worried. rosie is on the lower end of the spectrum for britts when it comes to energy - shes very alert but a 20-30 min walk a day and a few hours in the yard every now and then is plenty enough to keep her happy.

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Janice »

Thanks Mike,

Don't know my vet does stress tests or not, but I will talk to him about it. And heartworm had also crossed my mind even though he's on preventative.

Fact is, it seems so noticible that he's so 'laid back' because our other Britt, Blue is so incredibly active and he's twice Rolo's age. Blue who is 7-8 years old can out last and out run any dog at the dog park. Then there's Rolo who lays at our feet the entire time. Only getting up to chase and catch squirrels. One thing I can say about Rolo though is that he's quick. He can catch a squirrel running by from a laying down position. Go figure. Maybe he's saving his energy for the important stuff.

Janice