Anal Gland Tumor

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Anal Gland Tumor

Post by dianek »

Sierra was diagnosed on Monday with an Anal Gland Tumor. She is only 7 years old. She has a calcium elevation in her blood & her urine is diluted. The Vet gave us statistical information and according to her it's not good. We will be seeing a surgeon on the 3rd for a consultation.

Has anyone had any knowledge/experience on this that they could share.

diane
Diane Klonowski

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm so sorry to hear about Sierra. I don't have any experince with Anal gland tumors although our first Springer/Britt cross had a rectal tumor, kind of the same area. Please keep us posted and let us know what the surgeon says.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Rachelle »

I'm sorry to hear about Sierra as well. I don't have any experience with that type of tumor either. Best of luck with the surgical consult and please let us know how it goes.
Henry

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Diane, so sorry to hear about about Sierra. I sent you a PM with some more details.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Sorry to hear this :( . Keep us posted and give her a hug for me . Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Diane....I had one Husky with a tumor in the area of an anal gland. He was about the same age as Sierra when it occurred. I had the surgery done and he was fine for about 8 months....then the blood and discomfort started again and I made the decision to give him peace :cry: I have the feeling that if they (the surgeons) get at it early enough and get all of the cancer out then the prospects are much better for either total cure or at least a much longer time frame before reoccurrance.

So sorry to hear about this....hope all goes well at the consultation.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Update on Sierra

Post by dianek »

Saw surgeon on Friday. The tumor is the size of a golf ball and needs to be removed. A Penn surgeon will be handling the surgery but he informed us that 95% of this type of tumor is cancerous. We won't know if it is just the tumor or has spread to the lymph nodes until he goes in. Checking what may have caused the tumor, in the words of the surgeon "bad luck". If all goes well, she will be home late Saturday.

The sad part is she is just her normal self. Loving to play catch with the ball or frisbee, cudling etc.

Say a prayer. diane
Diane Klonowski

emason
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by emason »

I will certainly say a prayer for Sierra. Please keep us posted on how things go and when her surgery will be. Here is hoping for nothing but good news and a very speed recovery.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

So to hear that Sierra needs surgery but fingers and paws crossed for a good outcome.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Hang in there . We'll say a prayer for her . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hoping all goes well.....think positive thoughts.....good luck vibes headed your way.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by HOPE »

I am so sorry to hear about that. :( She has been added to our prayers. Hope send you hugs and kisses, hoping that it all goes well. Keep us posted.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Orion and I will get a candle going and keep you in our meditation times.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

dianek
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Update on Sierra

Post by dianek »

Sierra had her surgery last Friday with the removal of the tumor. There was some attachment to the bowel wall so a repair was done. She came home on Saturday. Monday night we did not like the looks of the area and the amt. of drainage and called at 6 am for someone to look at it. Well you know how it is with doctors & our appt. wasn't until 4 that afternoon. Long story short, she had to have surgery as it looked like there was a rip in the bowel wall. She came home late yesterday with a drainage tube. She was happy to be home and slept most of the time.

The biopsy came back and yes it was cancer. We will wait until she heals and take it from there. Chemotherapy was a possibility. We don't know if we really want to put her through that. Will keep you posted.

Say a prayer. Thanks, diane
Diane Klonowski

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Oh, Diane...I wish that I could say something comforting and articulate and quote from some great spiritual writer, but "oh, crap" is the best I can do at the moment. :shock: We're all with you.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland