Help, dog ate squirrel

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Help, dog ate squirrel

Post by Janice »

This morning at the dog park, Blue found a dog carcass left by another dog. When he noticed I saw him he took off running with it and as he ran by me I could hear him chewing on it. He stopped for a moment and next thing I know the squirrel is gone. I'm sure he swallowed it almost whole.

He seemed fine all day, he didn't vomit. Tonight he seems a bit more tired than usual and possibly a little uncomfortable. He's resting and keeping to himself. Occasionally changing positions as he's lying down. I'm a bit worried, but my husband says he'll be fine and to just let him rest.

He did by the way eat his dinner and have a bowel movement...although smaller than usual.

Should I continue worrying, or race him off to an emergency vet? Of course this has to happen on the weekend when the vet is closed.

Janice

Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Bernie's mom »

hmm... I'd just watch him, I wouldn't be too worried yet, after all, he's a dog, that's what they eat if you think about it. Bernie catches mice up north and I'm sure he's eaten things that I don't even want to know about! ;)
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I wouldn't worry too much . As Bernies mom said dogs eat all kinds of things without consequences :o My dogs have gotten dead mice , ground squirrels and an occasional songbird the neighbors cats have killed . Coyotes eat this stuff everyday and Brittanys are a close cousin . Watch him and if he gerts lethargic and seems to running a fever then I would take him in to be checked . A dogs normal temp is 101 . It's not too hard to take their temp , do it rectal and keep a good grip on the thermometer , so they don't pucker up and you lose it :shock: Dave

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I can hear Blue commenting....."Ah, a gourmet meal at last....some fresh meat and bone, some *veggies* partially digested, yummy, a little bit of roughage (hair, teeth, toenails), divine 8) a perfectly balanced meal all in a neat package, yeeeessssss" 8) :wink:

Not to worry, Blue just ate the almost perfect meal....would have been absolutely perfect if it had still been alive when he happened on it :wink:

All kidding aside, as long as you are sure the squirrel died as a result of trauma (death by dog) it should be fine. The only concern about eating animals already dead is "what did the animal die of?". Just keep an eye on his behavior for signs of illness...he may have a loose stool or two, but that would be normal for a dog not used to real food :roll: I've had many dogs eat live prey and everything comes out just fine in the end :lol:

Janice
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Janice »

Well, its 5:30am and he just had his breakfast and seems fine. Its too dark out to see if he's had a bowel movement. I can't even watch him out in the yard as we still have a tree down from the hurricane a couple of months ago blocking my view. He seems to be feeling better, but he's really tired from the long weekend. He's usually quieter on Monday mornings as we get a lot of running time in and he relly had a full four days of fun.

I just wish it was a squirrel he killed himself, that way I would have known how it died. But being that it was found inside the park, I'm almost certain it couldn't have been poisoned or anything. I also wished he would have torn it up a bit before eating it. No kidding he pretty much swallowed it whole.

Thanks, and I'm still watching him, but not worried anymore.
Janice