Skinny , just right , and chubby

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Skinny , just right , and chubby

Post by Dave »

Sounds like the three Stooges :roll: .
Nope it's my Brittanys . I haven't had Molly out getting as much excercise and she weighed 55 lbs. Geesh that's 6 pounds since last weigh in :shock: . I guess she getting cut way back on her food again . :(

Levi weighs 44 lbs. and is in great shape , although I haven't been running him much . That's going to change as soon as Pheasant season opens .

My foster Hooch only weighed in at 42 lbs. I wish I could take off 8 pounds on Molly and give it to Hooch . He's a skinny butt . At his med check last month he was 39.4 lbs. so I guess he's gaining . He's so much bigger than Levi that I'd like him to weigh 47-49 lbs.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I've got chubby, just right, skinny, skinny at my house.

Louie (the foster-dork) is chubby. But, he's also a Frenchie, and has just a really stocky build. I'd still like to get some weight off of him, but I don't think he'll ever look long and lean like my own do.

Britty is just right - well, for Britty anyway. Most folks would probably say she's skinny. But, with one bad hip and one repaired hip, she has to stay slim. She's currently weighing in at 41 lbs. She's build different than a Britt, and actually looks "normal" at 45 lbs...but I don't want her hips carrying any extra weight, so she gets to be a bit lean.

Buster is skinny. He's well muscled and lean, and at a perfect weight for agility. But, he's skinny. He eats around 1000 calories a day and stays skinny too. On the agility field, I get complimented on how nice he looks...every where else, I'm told he's too skinny. He currently weighs around 38 lbs and is 20.5 inches tall.

Madi is skinny. She came to me very heavy, and I managed to get a lot of weight off of her small frame. Madi is maybe 17 inches at the shoulder and weighs around 33 lbs. She's also 10+ years old and still mostly acts like a pup.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm feeling pretty lucky. According to the vet (and they were both in today for a checkup) they are both perfect! I think Jill looks a little heavy at 36 lbs but everyone keeps telling me it's just her body shape. She has a deep chest and nothing beyond that. Kayla is a bit skinny (I think) at 35 lbs but she'll put weight back on in the Winter when she's not swimming all the time.

Oh yeah - Jill tested positive for ehrlichea. No symptoms and we're just going to keep an eye on her. Kayla has been Lyme positive for several years without symptoms so I guess we just do nothing for the time being.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Alifaire »

Victor is 19.75 inches at the shoulder and weighs 35.5 pounds. Our Vet, a Brittany breeder, and several agility people say he's perfect. But he shouldn't lose anymore weight.

Extra weight is bad for his joints with all the jumping and contacts in agility.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola used to be 40 lbs and looked fantastic but people on the street also said she was too thin. Whadda they know. People tend to like fat dogs or something. Vet raved over her. Now that her running has been curtailed she's getting a little porky I think. Don't know her actual weight but she's thicker than she used to be. I've cut back on her food but what she really needs is good old exercise.

Lissers
Puppy

Scarlett

Post by Lissers »

Scarlett's up to a whole 29lbs.........thats a big change from when we first adopted her at like 16lbs! Although I think she might need a third surgery on her leg :( poor girl!

Melissa and the girls

Image Image

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Gove those Brittany a big hug . She weighs the same as her brother Charley . They are just cute :) .

I hope she doesn't need another surgery :( . Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Puddin Man
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Puddin Man »

It's curious. CB (short for "Crazy Birddawg" :-)) is dysplastic (but showing no symptoms for years, knock wood), so she's on a diet. She was holding at 28 lbs on about 1/2 cup Canidae 3x/day last year. This made me and the vet happy. :)

I put her on a grain-free diet during last May. Didn't seem to help anything.

After I put her back on Canidae, it's taken 3/4 cup 3x/day just to keep her at 26 lbs. I even tested her for worms. She was round-worm+ and treated for it months ago.

And I can't figger why she needs ~50% more volume/weight in feed this year. Exercise levels are near identical year-to-year. I *think* she looks OK at 26 lbs, but I don't like mysteries. :cry:

Knowledgable folks can critique the following:

"If the dog's ribs are individually visable, the dog is too lean. Needs a little fat to sustain an unexpected injury or disease preventing normal eating, etc."

"If one can feel more than a little fat in the area between the dog's ribs and hips, the dog would be healthier if some weight were lost."

Are these reasonable "Rules Of Thumb"?

P
Lovable furry rascal
<How to display second pic???><message for second pic>

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

My vet explained it like this once: he held his hand in a fist and ran a finger from his other hand back and forth over his knuckles and said if the dog's ribs are like this, it is too thin. Then he opened his hand and turned it over palm up and ran his finger over the inside of his knuckles and said if they are like this, the dog is too heavy. Lastly, he turned his hand back over, palm down but still fingers open, not clenched, ran his finger over his knuckles again and said this is how the ribs should be. George is on the verge of being skinny, but he eats voraciously, I think it's the Lasix dropping the weight down, my Bichon is getting less food right now b/c she is getting to be like a sausage, and my daughter's mix is probably just right weight-wise.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

After I put her back on Canidae, it's taken 3/4 cup 3x/day just to keep her at 26 lbs. I even tested her for worms. She was round-worm+ and treated for it months ago.
I know that Canidae has had a formula change...might be part of the reason you're seeing a change in what she needs.

My general rule of thumb for a dog's weight is that they should have a visible waist when viewed from above. When you run your hands down their back, you should be able to slightly feel their spine without pressing down too much. Running your hands over their sides, you should be able to easily feel the ribs under a thin layer of fat. I start watching a dog's weight when I can't easily feel the spine or ribs, or their waist disappears. I try to add weight to a dog if I can actually see their ribs outlined, their spine is really sticking up, or I can easily feel the points of their hip bones.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Puddin Man
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Puddin Man »

Lisa wrote:I know that Canidae has had a formula change...might be part of the reason you're seeing a change in what she needs.
That occurred to me, as I recalled seeing notice of the formula change.

Anybody else feeding Canidae noticed increased volume of kibble to maintain weight?

P

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Anybody else feeding Canidae noticed increased volume of kibble to maintain weight?
The only changes was the addition of barley, which has gluten, and the herring meal is now ocean fish meal. Not a change large enough to make a difference is feeding ratio.

Maggie tends to be on the larger size. Storm always looks skinny to me, eventhough he's 38 lbs. And Storm is the one that's closest to the perfect breed standard. Actually everyone thinks he's perfect. I can feel his ribs very easily.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Puddin Man
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Puddin Man »

Muddy Creek Britts wrote: The only changes was the addition of barley, which has gluten, and the herring meal is now ocean fish meal. Not a change large enough to make a difference is feeding ratio.
Pert near what I originally thought, but, since the issue was mentioned, didn't hurt to ask.

Anybody switch off Canidae just because they didn't like the changed ingredients?

P