Uh oh... Another will it pass?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Uh oh... Another will it pass?

Post by Mark »

Within the last hour and a half or so, Monty ate an entire Cycling glove. It is a mix of leather and nylon, and has "gel" inserts (which are rubber pads on the palms).

1) Should we try to get him to vomit it up?
2) If so, how?
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by kat »

What's in the gel? I'd find out and call the vet asap!! Let us know.
Image
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Post by Mark »

kat wrote:What's in the gel? I'd find out and call the vet asap!! Let us know.
its not actually a gel... they call it gel, but it is just a soft rubber.
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Post by Mark »

Also, I've done a lot of googling, and am finding no info on the "gel padding" rubbers to be poisonous at all. They seem to be pretty inert.

Edit- it is the stuff that companies like 3M use in wrist rests for mouse pads.. and it is completely non-toxic.
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 4459
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 pm
Location: Montana

Post by Dave »

Hydrogen Peroxide if you want to have him vomit it up . Levi ate a whole 6 ft. leash , but chewed it up in pieces . I got a turkey baster and gave him about 60 cc of Hydrogen Peroxide . He arrfed it up . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by kat »

We gave our Golden 1Tbsp Peroxide to get him to throw up antifreeze he "Might" have ingested before racing to the vet, but did it on vet's advice. Not sure it's necessary for the glove, tho. If no toxins, well, dogs have chewed lots of shoes and things over the years....
Image
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6851
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Post by Barb Wright »

:roll: Gel padding, even "non-toxic" is not meant to be ingested :!: It's "non-toxic" externally....that's IT. Once the digestive juices get to working on it so that it can pass through the stomach, now you are looking at a whole different and very complex scenario. If it is not food it is best not to be going through the digestive process :!: :!: :!: :!: Get rid of it if possible (induced vomiting) and then hope Mother Nature steps in and gets it all down the toxic waste chute with no problems :!:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Post by Mark »

Well, we gave him the peroxide about 25 minutes ago..

No puking..

Gah- he pukes when we dont want him to, but when we do.. no puke.
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6851
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Post by Barb Wright »

Hmmm...not sure I would re-do the peroxide :? :? He should have at least up-chucked that :? You might need some professional advice about attempting further re-gurgitation. Otherwise, guess you are just in a waiting game now :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Post by Mark »

Barb Wright wrote:Hmmm...not sure I would re-do the peroxide :? :? He should have at least up-chucked that :? You might need some professional advice about attempting further re-gurgitation. Otherwise, guess you are just in a waiting game now :cry:
Yup.. I fear that it is waiting time.

I did some research on this Gel. Supposedly it is non-toxic even when consumed.. in fact is is used in some baby products.. :/ Definitely not good for him, nor meant to be eaten, but hopefully not too bad.. Also, the "gel" was stitched into closed pockets in the leather.. so I can hope that it doesn't get out of the leather.. :/

Looking at what he ate, he only ingested about half of the "gel" pads- a piece about 1/4" thick, and about the size of a half dollar. And the "gel" is really more like a rubbery foam.. He left the portion of the glove with the biggest gel pads on the floor.
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6851
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Post by Barb Wright »

Ahhhh, that sounds like a rather small piece of stuff. I would expect him to throw it up sometime in the next 12-18 hours. If it gets out of the stomach it will probably not cause much problem going on through. You still need to be vigilant, but it doesn't sound too scary. The leather may actually digest provided it wasn't changed too much by chemcial treatment....the black dye might be bothersome, but still, it is a rather small piece so I think I might not be too worried...worried yes, but not sleepless :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Post by Mark »

Barb Wright wrote:Ahhhh, that sounds like a rather small piece of stuff. I would expect him to throw it up sometime in the next 12-18 hours. If it gets out of the stomach it will probably not cause much problem going on through. You still need to be vigilant, but it doesn't sound too scary. The leather may actually digest provided it wasn't changed too much by chemcial treatment....the black dye might be bothersome, but still, it is a rather small piece so I think I might not be too worried...worried yes, but not sleepless :wink:
Well, that was the "gel" that he ate. Along with that, he ate leather about 2/3 the size of my palm, and red "nylon" mesh about the size of the back of my hand... It does look like he tore it up.. (this was a finger-less cycling glove- left the strip that went from half way up the thumb, to the middle of the palm)

And if he so much as eats a small leave or part of a twig, he usually throws it up at around 3-4am.. so hopefully he'll be waking us up barfing tonight.. (can't believe I said that).
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6851
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Post by Barb Wright »

Mark wrote:...and red "nylon" mesh about the size of the back of my hand...
Guess that is the most worrisome part....I'd be surprised if that didn't get thrown up. I'm with you...."hopefully he'll be waking us up barfing...." whatever time :D

Will be looking for a "presentation" report in the morning :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:20 pm
Location: Rosemount, MN

Post by Mark »

No puking last night.. :(

This morning he seemed perfectly fine.. scarfed down his breakfast, no vomiting.. pooped without a problem..

We'll see how the next 24 hours go...
Image
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 1898
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: Colorado

Post by swillow66 »

Reminds me of the time I came home and Madison's brand new leather collar was missing off of her neck. Didn't know which of the three dogs ate it. Only reason I knew immediately it was gone was because I found the metal clip with her tags still on it laying on the ground.

Never did figure it out, but nobody ever got sick. Who knows what type of preservatives were in that!! I worried and kept poop vigil on all three dogs for almost a week! Jeez!! :roll: :roll: :shock: :?
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

Image
To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world

Post Reply