Groundhog Bite

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Groundhog Bite

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Well, just got done giving the dogs all a bath. Groomed Storm up in a nice show cut. Took a break and let the dogs run out in the yard. I see Maggie getting up and running to the edge of the property. Storm and Timber come running up out of the hedgerow, with Storm carrying what looked like a ball of fabric or something. It was a groundhog....still alive. He dropped it, I'm yelling and trying to control the dogs with their e-collars. Groundhog clicking its teeth. Storm went to grab it again, and it nipped him on the jowl. It only looks like a very small puncture wound on the inside and a rub burn (probably the other side of the nip) on the outside of the jowls. There was a good bit of blood, but it has already stopped, allowing me to see it was just a small puncture.

Should I use rubbing alcohol, Neosporin, iodine, hydrogen peroxide :?: I want to use the iodine, but it says not to ingest. Would just enough to cover the puncture be a problem :?: UGH :!:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Groundhog Bite

Post by Cindy »

I'd probably use some diluted hydrogen peroxide or just clean it really well with soap and water. Keep an eye on it though - in my experience, puncture wounds have a tendency to abscess if they don't heal from the inside out.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Thanks :!: I did a little of all, except the rubbing alcohol. Figured that would sting pretty bad, and with the other three, he should be okay. He needs to learn to kill animals before carrying them around the yard like a tug toy. :roll: Storm was nice enough to drop it at my feet. Unfortunately, once it flipped itself back over, I figured out it was still alive and well, now with it right by my feet. I had three dogs with heavy prey drive, a pissed off groundhog, and me screaming trying to get the dogs to get away from it while it ran off.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I was told peroxide, followed by neosporin, both applied with a q tip. I'm assuming his rabies booster is up to date? What abaout tetanus...is that a concern? But I agree...even small bite wounds can be nasty-keep a very close eye on it.

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Rocket tangles with wildlife on occassion too. We use a product called "EMT Ointment" that does a good job promoting healing and preventing infection. We order ours through Lion Country Supply, but I'd imagine that most pet suppliers carry it. I think it comes in a spray too.

Marge

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Luckily for you the bite is on the jowl - so if it does start getting swollen it should be easily noticeable, and you can take him to the vet before everything snowballs.

What sucks is when you get puncture wounds on the torso, and you just don't realized it's abscessed until it's really bad.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Thanks, everyone. What a day. Seems that Timber got a little nip just under his nose on his muzzle too. :roll: Let Maggie outside after her bath, and she came in with blood between her toes. So everyone had a bloody day today. Hope that's my cycle of threes for awhile. I think Maggie's was a nail or something. At least two of the three have their grooming just about finished. Think I'll do Maggie tomorrow.

Can't believe Storm would just grab a live groundhog and carry it around. What a knucklehead. Maybe it was just too big to shake until it broke its neck. Can't get them to retrieve a pheasant worth a darn, but they'll drop live mammals at my feet. :lol:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Muddy Creek Britts wrote: Can't get them to retrieve a pheasant worth a darn, but they'll drop live mammals at my feet. :lol:
LOL! I'm just glad mine have shown no interest in groundhogs. Squirrels, yes...but not groundhogs!!!

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:It was a groundhog....still alive. He dropped it, I'm yelling and trying to control the dogs with their e-collars. Groundhog clicking its teeth. Storm went to grab it again, and it nipped him on the jowl. I
:lol: :lol:

I have an answer to this "Gamo" air rifle , or a wrist rocket . Both rid your area of ground hogs . :lol: Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Turns out the groundhog got Timber inside his front lip too. I didn't even know there was a wound on the inside, because it's way up the lip where it meets the gum and it never bled like Storm's did. I noticed he was getting a little puffy and really searched inside better than I did earlier. I mean it just looks like a slight bloody spot, like a minor tissue injury. I just did the round of iodine, H2O2, and Neosporin. Hope it's not too little too late to avoid infection. Don't want to get too nervous yet, since I'm sure it's just puffy due to the location. Storm's looks fine, but his inside wound was just barely at the bottom of the inside lip. It bled alot, but it was just a minor little puncture. And no puffiness at all now. I gave Storm another round of iodine, H2O2, and Neosporin again, just in case. Really don't need another vet bill right now. :(
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I know what you mean about vet bills. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are ok! (And tell them they are BIRD dogs...not varmit dogs!)

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Brian, your dogs need to go after birds....sheesh, the poor things! Sending healing thoughts and hopes for no more vet bills....I hear ya on that one!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Are Timber and Storm's wounds healing ok?
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Are Timber and Storm's wounds healing ok?
Thank goodness, yes :!: Storm never had any swelling at all, but Timber had a little knot. Now it is just about totally healed. The day after it swelled up, Maggie & Storm were picking on Timber....believe me, he asks for it. Well, Maggie must've found the wound and kept nudging it with her nose and mouth, making him squeal. :lol: Poor li'l Bubber Dubber. But it looks like we got through this adventure with no vet bills. Thanks for asking.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Poor little guy. Yah, he probably deserves it because those young Britts can be so pesty but I still feel sorry for him.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie