More help with Henry

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

More help with Henry

Post by LauraV »

Henry is doing wonderfully! (He had pneumonia in both lungs and was super skinny when we got him) He started to gain weight to the point where his ribs weren't visible through his fur, but now that he's feeling better he's more active so his metabolism is up. Well now you can see his ribs again. We feed him a total of 6 cups of food a day (typically broken up into 3 feedings, but we both work full time so 3 feedings is the most we can do) and he gets plenty of snacks.
My question is how do we add more to his diet with out ruining him. We don't want to add stuff to his food, because I am afraid when we stop adding things he will no longer be interested in eating (like he was in the beginning). So do I give him a hunk of meat right after he eats his meal, after a half hour?
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: More help with Henry

Post by headtrip_honey »

Here's a great suggestion that is often given to people that are trying to supplement their dog's diet to put some pounds on:

A good snack in between meals is Satin Balls....here are a couple recipes for Satin Balls:

SATIN BALLS
This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly. It should be noted that this recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
1 jar wheat germ
1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
10 eggs
10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
A pinch of salt
1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
(You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)
Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.
This recipe was originally received from Dianne Carreon

SATIN BALLS
(This one is a little better than some SB recipes that call for Total Cereal which has a lot of sugar....dogs don't need sugar!)

1 lb ground beef
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 jar all natural peanut butter
1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ
1 doz egg yolks
1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream
Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I can't remember if you said he's medically sound . He should have his bloodwork checked , mostly for his Thyroid . Also make sure he's been wormed for tapes and round and whip worms .

Our almost starved Frenchie here in Mt. gained 11 pounds in ten days . I would give him some bread with peanut butter on it as snacks . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by LauraV »

I've noticed there is always wheat germ in those recipes. Is that an important ingrediant, and why?

Yes, medically he is ok now. He has been tested for worms and dewormed.
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I can't be any help with weight gain - maybe fatty meats? I just wanted to ask you again... 6 cups of food a day? Wow! What kind of food?

I gave Lola wheat germ because its a good source of vitamin E. I think it also has other vitamins and potassium. Its pretty oily so maybe that's why its in a recipe designed to put weight on.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Wheat germ is very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium and Copper, and a very good source of Thiamin, Phosphorus, Zinc, Manganese and Selenium.

So, you can back a big punch in a small amount of food!
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

I have used the first Satin Balls recipe. I mixed it in the sink (it makes a lot) and then put it in freezer bags. I pressed the bags flat and froze them. Nice and tidy. :D It is expensive but lasts for a long time, especially if you mix it with a little kibble.

By the way, I fed this to Blaze (our senior foster who we later adopted.) He almost died during HW treatment and would not eat. Our vet was so impressed with how well Blaze did that now they give the recipe out to other clients. I also fed Blaze cooked liver. It wasn't fattening but I thought it gave him needed iron.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:shock: Six cups of food (dry kibble????) a day, even divided into three meals is just a whole lot of food :shock: What is the basic kibble you are feeding??? It really sounds like he is not getting very good utilization out of the food.

Anyway, adding fat, which by the way is the main source of energy for dogs, would be what you need to do. But, with as much bulk as he is eating I think you need a different kibble that he gets more useage from....that is to say, his body digests and utilizes more of the ingredients and nutrients. Does he have rather large stools??? This would be an indication that most of the food is just going through him without any uptake.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by LauraV »

He will be a really giant brittany (at least 60 lbs at a healthy weight) And he's eating Blue Buffalo (not cheap!!) puppy food and he's pooping just about as much as my other 2 who are healthy weight. (No giant stools) could I do better with the food?
I think his body is just going through so much energy (adding fat and creating muscle mass-which he had none of either) and being a puppy. I tried a modified version of the saying balls with what I grabbed at the grocery store. He had one last night as a test (to be sure he could handle all the rich ingreedients) and as long as everything "comes out all right" he will get more. Question is how many more? And how often?
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Blue Buffalo sounds okay....guess it's like you stated, he is just needing lots of food to play catch-up. Think I would feed a satin ball (depending upong what size you made them :? at the rate of one in between meals, with maybe a small one (egg size) just before bed. If you can't go exactly in between meals because of work schedules, then about 1 hour after eating should be enough time for the main meal to have left the stomach. Depending upon the content of the food of course, usually it doesn't stay in the stomach much longer than it takes the stomach juices to slurry the food and start it out into the gut. Most digestion and all uptake of nutrients takes place in the intestines.

And like you also said, good point, the additions definitely to stool tolerance...if he starts to get large loose stools it is too much food at one time somewhere along the line, or poor utilization of the food whatever it is.

Am also thinking that you should be weighing him about once a week. Just to be sure that he is really continuing to gain and that what you are seeing is developmental and growth spurts rather than weight loss. If he is actually losing weight then another parasite check, especially for hooks, might be one thing to do.

Bringing a nutritionally deprived or ill dog back to good health takes a bit of time so be patient with slow progress, just as long as you are making progress. Slow weight gain is progress and actually the best way to put the weight on. The body tends to put effort (repair and nutrients) where the effort is most needed, so you will sometimes see changes in "spurts".

Hoping for continued good reports on Henry.....he is in good hands, it should be onward and upward for him :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Hayley's Mom »

At a year, Hayley was very skinny and super active. We put her on the "working dog" or "sport dog" version of her food. We happen to use Eukanuba, but other manufacturers also have these versions that are higher protein, etc.

It really helped get her to a healthier weight -- without increasing the volume of food -- before we moved her back to the regular formula. We still get some for her when we're at the cottage for a longer stretch where she just runs and runs all day.

Good luck!

flygirljill
Puppy

Post by flygirljill »

The only experience we had with difficult weight gain is when our brit puppy grew but stayed extremely skinny. Took to vet and said "just a lanky kid", no parasites noticed. Talked to the breeder we got her from & she said to try worming her again. One note, she ate like she was starving. We gave har over the counter wormer and no change. So about a month later our pet sitter noticed flax seed looking stuff in her stool. Well at the time she ate flax seed so we didn't think too much and just continued to feed her more. Then a week or so later I noticed the flax seeds moving & called the vet who said it was tape worm. 1 prescription pill specifically for tapeworm was given to her & that did the trick. Her weight came back, she filled in nicely, had even more energy (if that's even possible) and we were able to eventually feed a normal amount of food & now she's not eating like she's starving. Apparently the tape worm takes a long time before you see it in the stool so it's also missed by fecal exams. The poor dog was really hungry. We were feeding the tape worm very well! I would suggest trying the tapeworm medicine & see if it helps. Good luck with your baby & let us know what happens.
Jill Abby's mom
Jill Merrill-Abbys mom