Diet and Training

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Diet and Training

Post by rtropeano »

I know this sounds like a weird topic, but I have a question on this and wanted some thoughts from the group. I'd like to start adding some fresh meats and veggies to Daisy's diet and wondered how it might affected training. What I'm wondering is, will she be less apt to work for me, if I just start putting the good stuff in her bowl as opposed to using it just for treats?

I'm starting to prep her for our Camp Vacation and she's going to need lots of energy. I thought of putting her on EVO but, I think I want to try a more natural route. Right now she's been on Innova and California Natural.

Any thoughts?? (by the way Barb, I really like the B-naturals link - I'm just afraid I won't use the right things in the diet LOL)

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Diet and Training

Post by Jacksbuddy »

I think all you will find is she will be more enthusiastic about mealtime.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

Bliss (my Lab) gets 100% raw. She's been on it for 8 years. Leena (6 months old) gets fresh foods added to her kibble. She still works willing and takes treats.
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Lola gets raw breakfasts and kibble for dinner and some snacks. She trained up real nice. Yesterday, she learned "ramp" (to use the ramp instead of the stairs) in about 3 repeats. I think if you train your dog a lot, they learn how to learn. What you feed for meals is not the point. (Sometimes for very high distraction environments a really special treat is called for but I don't think having a good diet ruins that).

If you're looking for good reading about dog food you should also look at http://www.dogfoodproject.com. I learned about the site on thisforum and it is full of interesting info.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

After my older brittany had a terrible bout with Giardia, I started giving brown rice and ground turkey with every meal mixed in with his chow. I just make large batches of it and freeze it. The dogs love it. I boil the turkey instead of browning it to decrease the grease content. It seems so much healthier than canned dog food with all sorts of additives and it got him interested in eating again. I also buy beef liver and serve it up once a week as a special treat......just make sure it's thoroughly cooked. Since my husband is a commercial salmon fisherman, the dogs get lots of salmon and salmon skin....great omegas. Anyway, they are still totally excited about training all the time so no problems there. I will say, that it's already helping our new ABR dog's coat after only 6 weeks (that when we got him). He was only 25 lbs when rescued. He gained about 10 in foster care and another 6 here but what's more exciting is that his coarse, rough coat (which my vet called an "ole' Roy coat") is growing in soft now. He was matted terribly and therefore shaved when his foster dad received him and I was worried about a puppyhood of poor nutrition damaging his coat permanently but he is really getting softer every day !!!

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

janet909 wrote:I also buy beef liver and serve it up once a week as a special treat......just make sure it's thoroughly cooked.
I did the same thing. It started when my senior was sick. Of course, I had to make enough to share with all the Britts of the house. They listen really well when liver is in my hands. :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Rose

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Just wanted to put out this thought for consideration as there is no ONE way to do most things :wink: I have found over 50 years of feeding dogs that raw liver is just fine and has never caused a problem. Almost all dogs like it, though I have had a couple dogs that would take it out of their bowls and not eat it....I think it was a texture thing as they would eat liver blood :? Anyway, when you cook liver, even on very low heat, you destroy all the B vitamins, and other nutrients suffer or succumb to the heat as well. Thus, most of the main reasons for feeding liver at all are lost :cry:

Now, the main problem most people have with raw meat of any kind is fear of the bacteria that has had a chance to "attach" to the meat during the "abbatoir to nicely wrapped meat market packages" process. Well, it IS a dirty, filthy process for sure, but once you get the meat home just by rinsing the meat well you remove almost all, if not all, the nasty buggers that took up residence during processing. I rinse all our meat as well, even though I am going to cook it. And a healthy dogs' digestive system is more than capable, read VERY capable, of handling what minute amount of bad guys that may remain on raw meat. We don't normally feed liver in large quantites anyway, certainly not a meal of liver, so exposure is definitely just not anything to be concerned about. What you gain from raw liver far outweighs any perceived danger. Frankly, JMO if you are going to cook the liver you may as well not spend the money on it, and just pick up the dehydrated liver (VEEERY expensive :shock: and feed that....at least all the nutrients and benefits of the liver are still there, that is if it has been properly dehydrated on low or no heat.

Cardinal rule when handling raw meat, especially for ourselves.....ALWAYS thoroughly wash your hands and all contact utensils before doing other food prep. Long fingernails??? take a nail file or nail brush to those as well....we humans don't fare as well with some of the nasties that Mother Nature seems to figure need to be part of the equation :wink: I think you will find that most of the pet food and pet treat recalls is not because of danger to the pets, that is healthy pets, but rather danger to the humans who have handled the food or treats.

Well, not to go on ad nauseam :roll: it just makes me sad to think of all the neat nutrients that are lost in cooking liver, or for that matter any meat that is for our dogs. Just a different road to travel if you can get you mind around the concept :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

LOL. Well, I could have been spared liver as a kid if someone had told my mom about nutrients cooking out.

These days, I give my doggies liver as a treat not as a meal. I guess cooked liver is the equivalent of chocolate chip cookies. No nutritional value but tastes good. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....all good thoughts to ponder. Yes, I guess I was thinking more about the yummy taste vs. nutrients and where I live, liver costs next to nothing. I guess I only mentioned thoroughly cooking it because my vet told me so. I think I'll start serving it pink in the middle for starters as I've been paranoid to even do that. Thanks for the advice.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Well, guess I may have overstated my point a bit :oops: :oops: :roll: Cooked liver is better than no liver :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Barb, I also think you've understated the "oh gross" factor. I just can't imagine sticking my hand in a baggie of raw liver to pull out a treat. Aaaahhhhgg. Shudder. (insert a gagging smilie here) Of course, sticking my hand into a baggie of cooked liver doesn't turn me on either.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Yes, the things we do for our dogs. I won't even go there as I know that with this group, the lists would be endless. All in the name of LOVE !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Hmmm, well I was thinking of cooking the meat I was going to add to Daisy's meals, but I could give her some raw too? Are there any raw meats to avoid?

Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Kerplunk105 »

From what I have learned, you never want to give a kibble/grain based meal with raw meat as it is digested at different "speeds". Correct me if I'm wrong.
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix