Need Help with Symptoms: Shaking Legs & Doggie Alzheimer's

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Need Help with Symptoms: Shaking Legs & Doggie Alzheimer's

Post by AuntieMom »

We got a call from a couple who has adopted from us twice now and have become our friends. They are concerned about their most recent adoptee, a senior Brittany named Scout who is about 11-12 years old. I have this on Barkclub too but wondered if anyone on here has experienced anything similar to the problems Scout is exhibiting.

They are mainly concerned with (i) Scout is exhibiting doggie Alzheimer’s and (ii) Scout’s front legs will shake. They wonder if he might be having seizures. I have never had a dog with these symptoms and was not much help so offered to ask you all. We fostered Scout for about 7-8 months and did not observe these symptoms in him. He had an old injury in one of his legs and favored it, for example he always ate 3-legged and would usually walked 3-legged. If he did walk on all 4, he was peg legged. We gave him doggie aspirin and that helped. They have him on glucosmine twice a day and also Rimadyl (I think.) They are not as concerned about this but incontinency is also symptom. We did notice that when he was with us but it was sporadic.

Scout’s blood work came in ok. Does anyone observed doggie Alzheimer’s and involuntary movement of back legs. Could it be related to his medication? Does it sound like seizures? TIA?

Scout has bad days and good days. They say he is really “on” on those good days and he’s so sweet they want to help him have more good days if they can. I would appreciate knowing your thoughts and I will pass them on to his mom and dad. He is a sweet fellow and had a hard life prior to coming into rescue.

Thanks for helping these wonderful pet parents!
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Need Help with Symptoms: Shaking Legs & Doggie Alzheimer's

Post by StFrost »

I have heard of ataxia (the shaking legs and unbalanced) being associated with Rimadyl (also from anti-convulscents).

No idea about alzheimers though.

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

Sorry to hear about Scout. No help with the shaking, but I have read that there is a drug that vets can prescribe for doggie dementia.

dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by dmedric »

Our Max is between 12 and 13 years old. His legs shake when he is resting, but not when he is deeply asleep. I've asked the Vet about it and she felt it was related to his age. He doesn't have any other health issues and it certainly doesn't affect his activity level, so we are just watching for any changes. (My Dad has Parkinsons Disease and my kids have commented that Max shakes like Grandpa -- Not being insensitive here, but the involuntary movements are similar). Can't contribute on the doggie alzheimers.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

I think what you are referring to is Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. There is a lot of information about this, if that is what is happening. The trembling of the legs, well, again lots of reasons/causes. Probably need the vet to pin down just what is going on....they can enter all the symptoms (and you would want a complete list of any and ALL "off" behavior) into a vet consult program and at least narrow down the possibilities. There are several drugs available that help, but JMO you would first want a pretty close diagnosis before "shot-gunning" drugs. Hope they can get a handle on this, poor pup :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

Sorry, I cannot offer any advise, but someone sent this link to another message board. The more we understand/diagnose how it effects humans, the more we know how it affects canines as well. Best wishes for the pup! Shelli

http://www.miamiherald.com/277/story/1008458.html
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world

flygirljill
Puppy

Post by flygirljill »

I don't know much about Rimadyl except that when the vet suggested we put our 10 year old brit on it a few years ago we decided not to because of the amount of adverse reactions from other peoples dogs. We used 1000 mg of EFAS (not cod liver oil) 2 x per day, MSM and daily massages (TTouch book guided) and this helped tremendously. The TTouch books & videos are a "do it yourself" massage & stretch program that really deepened our relationship. I used to massage her temples and around her ears and she would just melt. She loved her massages. I now use them on our pup in agility training & she loves them too. Anyway, there is much info on the net, some good and lots not so good on the Rimadyl. Here is link I still had from when we were looking at it. Google it for more views. I would suggest talking with your vet about trying alternatives to the drugs for short term & see if there is any difference. Good luck.
Jill Merrill-Abbys mom

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/61737.html
This is one thread from the website & is the most middle of the road response.:
As far as Im aware rimadyl should always be given WITH food and not on an empty stomach

Rimadyl is not recommended for animals with known bleeding disorders and should not be used if a dog has pre existing liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease, or a known tendency towards gastrointestinal ulceration. In fact, these are some of the side effects reported in a small number of cases involving the use of Rimadyl. Rimadyl should never be given along with any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as aspirin, or along with any corticosteroid hormones such as prednisone, prednisolone, or dexamethasone.

Some side effects are loss of appetite, wobbling, vomiting, seizures and severe liver malfunction

This is not to scare people as rimadyl works for the majority of dogs but it is something to be aware of. I have read of the court cases in USA and when I questioned my vet about it after prescribing this he claimed he had never heard of any controversy ( or so he claimed)
Jill Merrill-Abbys mom

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Is the dog on Rimadyl for the old leg injury?? I'm curious to know what the original issue is that he's taking it for. We used to give our Blue Heeler Rimadyl for her early onset arthritis when she was young (6-9 years old) but now that she's 13, our vet says she's too old to metabolize it. She's crippled and on ultram twice a day, along with prednisone and glucosamine but the point is that Rimadyl needs an extremely healthy liver or you can have terrible side affects.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

Yes, Scout is on the Rimadyl for the old injury. When he was in foster care, we just gave him doggie aspirin. Since that Rimadyl is different, the medication is one of the suspects for the front leg issue.

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by AuntieMom »

The adopters learned little Scout is in kidney failure. They even took him to a vet recommended by the AZ coordinator. There is nothing that can be done, his time is limited. They are getting ready to say goodbye to the little man. Please keep them in your thoughts.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

They are all in our thoughts and prayers. Such a tough time.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Dogmom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Dogmom »

Oh Nancy! I am heartbroken to read this about little Scout! :cry: I have been so interested in him ever since you fostered him for so long. He is lucky to have such a loving forever home to live out his last days. He is such a sweet guy...

Dogmom :( :cry: :(

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

So sad - not the news we were all hoping for. :cry: :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Sorry to hear this :( . Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers